Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What do we expect from the new Treo? In order of importance:

[list=1][*]Bluetooth[*]Memorycard[*]the memorysize + processorspeed to play/record sound[*]no/smaller antenna[*]lid opens with push of a button[*]hi-res screen[*]variable length USB Hotsync cable charges Treo[*]latest Palm OS[*]e-mail + addressbook integration like SMS[*]better Blazer[*]removeable battery[/list=1]

No wi-fi. It is more likely to be sold seperately (by 3rd parties?) as a Bluetooth accessoire with autonomous battery power and antenna. Just to keep the price of the Treo down and wi-fi performance at its best.
    Last edited by reinder.rustema; 05/29/2003 at 04:30 AM.
    ReindeR
    1. readable screen in sunllight
    2. readable screen in sunllight
    3. readable screen in sunllight
    4. better resolution.
    5. more memory.
    6. expantion card.
    7. smaller?
    8. removable battery.
    9. updated OS.
    10. inexpensive :-)
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    BETTER REMOVEABLE BATTERY
    Bluetooth

The battery IMO is the number 1 concern.
    1. Less than $300.00

Nuff said.
    m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    My top ten list for the new treo:

1. Transflective Color Screen HiRes 320x320
    2. 64mb+ Memory
    3. OS5.2.1 (Upgradeable to OS6)
    4. 400mhz PXA255 Processor
    5. SD Expansion
    6. Better Sound
    7. Can be purchased by existing users without purchasing an additional service contract
    without paying a premium for the device $399-$499???
    8. Removable Battery
    9. Wifi
    10. Bluetooth

(P.S. I like m00se's suggestion for less than $300, but with the items on my goodie list "it ain't going to happen )
    Last edited by Prismatic; 05/28/2003 at 08:40 AM.
    No good deed goes unpunished
    His priority list is very well thought out. I think bluetooth would be nice, but placing it above a hi-res screen, faster processor, more memory, OS5 and more battery power makes no sense to me.

Cluemeister
    For me, the next Treo will be an utter failure if it does not include:

1)OS 5.x w/ARM proc
    2)320x320 transflective screen
    3)expansion (SDIO slot)

Those three are biggies for me. Most current palmOS smartphones meet some of these criteria while others like the SGH-i500 exceed them. In fact, I think the above are very basic minimum requirements that Handspring better have incorporated into the Treo2 or they're finished quite frankly IMO.

However, if you want to ask me what dream about in a new Treo and what I could wish for, then I would say the following...

1) Palm OS 5.x based on ARM processor (Xscale too much to ask?)

2) SDIO (perhaps even dual SDIO...CF would make it too thick). Would also be happy with SDIO + mini-SD combo

3) min 320x320 transflective TFT screen (possible 2nd OLED screen to replace see thru screen?)

4) +16 MB Ram (preferable 32+)

5) Triband cdma radio w/1xrtt utilizing unlimited sprint data plans
    ***unfortunately 1xEvDo/Dv is still far off**

6) integrated BT with a hardware switch similar to LOOX and h5450 (to help prevent battery drain) Adding wifi would be asking too much

7) replaceable 1500mAh battery (similar to longevity of T|C batttery). However this may be impossible w/o adversly affecting size of unit...(although Cassiopea E-3000 seems to have integrated 1500mAh battery quite nicely into small form facotor)

8) integrated voice recorder

9) integrated camera (min 640x480 resolution w/embedded flash) this is really the min these days for cameras...

10) 4 pin headphone jacks for hands free + stereo sound: sorry please don't me suffer like those poor T|C users!

11) GPSone or equivalent that combines tower triangulation with satellite

12) USB host? That would be pushing it..

13) more robust always on "push" mail suite, SMS, MMS

14) a REAL proxyless browser!

15) polyphonic ringtones and vibration alert

16) and lastly and most importantly a QERWTY-style keypad!!!!

I would be very pleased if HS included even %50 of the above specs....
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    ... is a moot point, as doubtless the design has long since been finalized. That said, the key points that should be addressed are:
    -Battery life, either with a larger battery or user-replaceable battery pack.
    -Display visibility in daylight. It doesn't matter much to me if the screen resolution is any higher, I just want to be able to see it.
    -SD/MMC slot, with I/O capability.
    -Keyboard. Handspring has the best thumb-board of any PDA -- if they change everything else, this should be left alone.
    If for no other reason than marketing, a higher-resolution display and fast processor probably are included in the new model, along with audio recording and MP3 playback. Nice to have, but not what I personally consider "must-have" features.
    All I want is an improved version of the current Treo devices.

Rusty J
    Treo 270 on AT&T Wireless
    Treo 90
    MicroInnovations keyboard
    I think a faster processor is absolutely necessary. Go to CompUSA (or elsewhere) and do some web browsing with the Tungsten C. It's actually usable, and the pages look good.

It's 802.11b, not a phone, but I find the problem with web browsing on the Treo isn't download speeds, but Blazer (or Xiino, or iPanel) taking forever to render pages after they've downloaded. Also, they don't even look terribly good after that wait. 320x320 minimum resolution is needed as well, for web browsing reasons.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    ....and don't forget to INCLUDE the cradle this time!
    ....and don't forget to INCLUDE the cradle this time!
    If fully agree, however after been using the 180G for about a year now the most important improvements that would convince me to replace it with a new treo are:

1) Compatibility with current generation (cradle, hotsync cable)
    2) More battery
    3) Cradle included
    4) Power adapter / USB Charging / hotsync cable
    5) Faster CPU
    6) Better positioned headset jack

It may sound a bit out-of-line, but for me who uses the Treo mainly as an organizer (extension to my notebook) and secondly as a phone, the Treo 180 has very few shortcomings.
    I do not phone much and I rarely run out of power, but I can use a little bit more. What worries me more is that a new model may make all my attachements obsolete, i.e I will have to get another sync-cable/power supply for the office, and a new cradle for home, and a new USB charging/sync cable for on the road. If you look at the cost of these items then you will see that this increases the cost a lot.

CPU power is sufficient for my usage, except one application that I use a lot while away on business.
    1. Wiring phone related items to main connector - Headset, Mic., Ant. - For proper support using a Car hands Free - Oh, and that set too - or adaptor to common cellphone sets (like Nokia)

2. Proper SIM integration - Have my last calls on SIM if I wish to move it to another cell, integrated search on both...

3. SMS by groups

4. Ability to use phone both open & closed.

5. Answer directly by loudspeaker, and switch to it via jog or etc., without having to face the unit.

6. Face scatch / photo in address book.

7. 2 expansion slots - 1 for Camera + 1 for Memory at same time.

8. Reduce the need for manual intervantion for extra digits.

9. Beam Buis-Card when lid is closed.

10. Periodic purge in call history.

11. Call waiting respond & switch calls via jog button - without facing the unit.

12. Configurable emergency number

13. Option to show additional char. while serching the contacts.

14. Configure Alarm vibrating tempo, to defrentiate from calls in silet mode (+ quiet vibration)

15. Poliphonic ring tones (well...No 300 outside US)

>>> Same Form Factor !!!!!!!!!!
    Definitely not Phone-Centric

Rest of my wish list was already mentioned above :-)
    This is a great thread with some cool ideas. Reality dictates that there are price segments that the market will bear. This is really what determines what goes into a new product. I am sure Handspring would love to put the kitchen sink into the next product but if it ends up costing $800 no one will buy it. Likewise they are selling into a subsidized market so they have to fit into marketing price niches dictated by the likes of T-Mobile and Sprint. It has to fit the service offerings from these carriers or the carrier wont allow it into its stores.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the next communicator is bound to have many cool features but is also likely not to meet the stellar expectations of this thread in all respects nor would we really want it to at the price that would place it.

My wishlist
    -------------
    #1 Must be a good phone
    #2 Must have some access to cool new network services
    #3 Must be fast and compact
    #4 Must have expandable memory cards
    #5 Must have media capabilities for sound and images
    #6 Some Jeff Hawkins cool mojo stuff
    How many times are we going to re-do the next-gen Treo wish list, guys?

OK, here you go...

1) Keep price down low. People can buy a Nokia 3650 for free from T-Mobile (and they are in large numbers). Give up on the imaginary enterprise market and go after consumers.

2) Tweak the OS so that I can use just about any app without leaving the thumbboard. Much of this could be solved by integrating a 4-way (or 8-way) directional pad next to the thumbboard.

3) Bluetooth.

4) Integrated camera.

5) MP3 (with SD memory expansion).

I'd really like to see a bigger, roomier thumbboard which could be accommodated by going with a design along the lines of the Danger Hiptop or a smaller version of the Nokia Communicator (see my mock-ups I've posted about in the past to see what I'm talking about). This would allow them to accommodate #2 above easier, since they'd have more room to add more hard keys, directional pad, etc.

This will shock and disappoint many, but I would even say that OS5/ARM is optional. If they can do it and keep the price down, great. But they must keep the price down. Would I, personally, be disappointed if it wasn't OS5/ARM? Sure, but I'm giving them a list of what I think they need to be successful and non-Palm geeks don't care what's under the hood so long as it gets the job done. That being said, before you all get too upset, I don't think they'd really save much money by going with a Dragonball chip over an ARM chip and the ARM chip would probably make it easier/cheaper for them to integrate MP3s since they wouldn't need a separate chip to handle that functionality.

I coupled SD expansion with MP3 playing because if they don't offer MP3 playing, then they could probably do without SD expansion as well, since this is what most average consumers would need SD expansion for. Again, I'm not focusing on what I want them to do so much as what I think they need to do to have this device be successful (which depends a lot on pricing it right).

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Originally posted by Scott R

Scott
    until it comes out and then again (for the treo 3) the day the it comes out.

:-)
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by Scott R

OK, here you go...

1) Keep price down low. People can buy a Nokia 3650 for free from T-Mobile (and they are in large numbers). Give up on the imaginary enterprise market and go after consumers.

2) Tweak the OS so that I can use just about any app without leaving the thumbboard. Much of this could be solved by integrating a 4-way (or 8-way) directional pad next to the thumbboard.

3) Bluetooth.

4) Integrated
    camera.

5) MP3 (with SD memory expansion).

[snip]

This will shock and disappoint many, but I would even say that OS5/ARM is optional. If they can do it and keep the price down, great. But they must keep the price down. Would I, personally, be disappointed if it wasn't OS5/ARM? Sure, but I'm giving them a list of what I think they need to be successful and non-Palm geeks don't care what's under the hood so long as it gets the job done. That being said, before you all get too upset, I don't think they'd really save much money by going with a Dragonball chip over an ARM chip and the ARM chip would probably make it easier/cheaper for them to integrate MP3s since they wouldn't need a separate chip to handle that functionality.

I coupled SD expansion with MP3 playing because if they don't offer MP3 playing, then they could probably do without SD expansion as well, since this is what most average consumers would need SD expansion for. Again, I'm not focusing on what I want them to do so much as what I think they need to do to have this device be successful (which depends a lot on pricing it right).

Scott
    This is a pretty good list. I too think that ARM/OS5 should be a low priority. I'd be just as happy with a 66MHz Dragonball. As for SD/MP3, I'm not really interesting in playing MP3 but would like an SD slot simply because I'm a packrat who wants to keep a lot of e-books, pictures, and rarely used applications close at hand.

I like the idea of a D-pad, it could be serve as a set of arrow keys for moving around through text and you could hold down the center of the pad to switch to select mode and select buttons with it. I'd also Home and Find and put the shortcut symbol on menu key as an Option+ combination. I would also add a search function to Blazer which would allow it to pass a search query on to the mobile version of Google. I might also attach a mini-launcher to the Jog-rocker.
    After going back and reading the Cnet Hawkins interview several times and reading between the lines here is what we know for sure:

1) No Bluetooth
    2) No Wifi
    3) Will have a redesigned keyboard

Any other Conclusions that I missed?

Bluetooth and Wifi were both on my wish list although neither were a priority item.

----------original wish list-------------------------
    My top ten list for the new treo:

1. Transflective Color Screen HiRes 320x320
    2. 64mb+ Memory
    3. OS5.2.1 (Upgradeable to OS6)
    4. 400mhz PXA255 Processor
    5. SD Expansion
    6. Better Sound
    7. Can be purchased by existing users without purchasing an additional service contract
    without paying a premium for the device $399-$499???
    8. Removable Battery
    9. Wifi
    10. Bluetooth
    No good deed goes unpunished
    Can somebody please explain to me the advantages of bluetooth? I just do not get it. I know that it is wireless ... but if the Treo is already a wireless device, why would it need it?
    (Ok, answer when you stop laughing ... but I truly do not understand)

Originally posted by Llynx
    Can somebody please explain to me the advantages of bluetooth? I just do not get it. I know that it is wireless ... but if the Treo is already a wireless device, why would it need it?

Wireless syncing (without using up expensive, slower, data), wireless headset. Those are the two main reasons I'd want it.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Originally posted by Llynx

One of the major reasons would be to use a BT headset with your Treo! That would be very convenient as your Treo could remain in your bag/purse/etc while you use the hands-free BT headset for calls etc. Among other options would be: to wireless hotsync with you PC via BT, use Treo as modem for laptop via BT connetion, use Treo as modem for other pda's via BT, use various BT accessories such as BT GPS receivers, Hopbit BT HD, BT-wifi gateways etc, to use apps such as Blueboard and Colligo, and etc...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast