Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Nokia still rules.

In NorthAmerica you don't see the turnover in phones because your phones are all tied in to service agreements.

Here in much of southeast Asia, you pay for your GSM card and you buy your phones seperately, and a lot of people change phones twice or three times a year. The phones become fashion statements.

The system in the USA where you are tied into a service plan and a phone really sucks. A lot of people here have two are three phones, for different occasions and different looks. If things were marketed properly in the USA, they would sell a lot more phones.

Remember when Timex ruled the watch market, and said about Swatches, "No one is ever going to want to own more than one or at the most two watches"?
    Originally posted by Timboyd
    Brief (VERY brief) comments on the new Handspring hybrid by a friend of mine that attended.

. . . Nice form factor . . . like an oversize phone . . . no closing cover . . . retains the thumb keyboard . . . screen very nice . . .

-- Sorry for the frustrating teaser but you guys want any tidbit, right?

/T
    Hmm...I wonder if the lack of flip cover means it will look like the T|W? Also I assume (or hope) by nice screen that it indicates HS used a tranflective screen! Also I remember reading rumors about an integrated camera? ARHH! I really can't wait to see this new Treo!! Timbyd, you should really shake down your friend for more info!
    Originally posted by craigdts
    looks good for Hand, looks like about 20% talks about hand

http://www.nctimes.net/news/2003/20030601/70737.html

go hand, i want them to turn around and get things going, i want to see their products for years to come.
    This was a good article you found, there is alot in there, sounds pretty good, except for the other article of possibly not having a flip cover which could mean scratches but it does sound like we are going to get a Keyboard.

At least they have one on the way, it will give us something to look foward to, sounds like fun!

Good chance we are going to get a picture here real soon, who's going to be the Hero.
    1. LOVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART, SOUL, MIND, AND STRENGTH. 2. AND LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR AS OUR SELF. (even when it's tough, This is Perfection).
    Originally posted by HAPPY$BOBBY$

This was a good article you found, there is alot in there, sounds pretty good, except for the other article of possibly not having a flip cover which could mean scratches but it does sound like we are going to get a Keyboard.

At least they have one on the way, it will give us something to look foward to, sounds like fun!

Good chance we are going to get a picture here real soon, who's going to be the Hero.
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The anticipation is killing me. I really want to see what they've come up with!
    The news that has been finally released isn't exciting.

In fact, it looks like Handspring is stuck in a rut.

Same old, same old, but a litle smaller.

That is not exciting.

IMHO - but now we know, don't we?

I mean, if there IS something exciting about this new "TREO 2" then why wasn't it reported? We're talking a fairly good-sized group of RICH people being shown the device - JUST what Handspring is dying to impress to get financial backing (and new corporate customers)!

But...nothing.

Thinner...slightly smaller...faster...ho hum.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor

That is not exciting.

IMHO - but now we know, don't we?

I mean, if there IS something exciting about this new "TREO 2" then why wasn't it reported? We're talking a fairly good-sized group of RICH people being shown the device - JUST what Handspring is dying to impress to get financial backing (and new corporate customers)!

But...nothing.

Thinner...slightly smaller...faster...ho hum.
    SeldomeVisitor,

As always, you are being quite negative (not a criticism, but a statement of facts). I don't think HS would be wise to be sharing all features of its thinner, smaller, faster hybrid device before its release, even if their biggest rivals' chief weren't there (Gates). They probably just had a teaser showing, probably didn't spell out all its capabilities.

And, IMO, even if "smaller, faster, thinner, with better screen" is all the new info there is about this device (which I don't think it is), added to the information we previously heard from HS (e.g., better user experience out of the box, more phone like, etc.), this could be a great device. I love the Treo today and believe it's the best combo device out there, despite being out for about 1.5 years. Most people don't know that you can carry a device the size of the treo in your pocket with which you can talk on the phone, browse the web, read/write email with attachments, chat, edit MS Office files, etc, etc. This is damn impressive! My main gripe about it is lack of solid construction and speed and the flakiness of the OS if you overload it with taxing software. I have to believe the new device will be more solid in hardware and software and, if it's smaller and sexier, it will be a real killer device that average users could start using.

The above spells a successful product with a minimum expected set of features. Having said that, I think it's realistic to expect better scenarios. For example, the device might have expansion options (and HS was a pioneer in using them); the faster processor would make for a successively released family of products that could make use of faster networks as they come online, add more features, etc; the rumored cooperation with RIMM might make it a device with instant email delivery; etc.
    Last edited by silverado; 06/01/2003 at 04:37 PM.
    Rumor has it that it will be slimmer, sexier, with a camera, expansion slot, no flip. This was from some Sprint rep a while ago. Of course she could be confusing it with another Pda type phone. Time will only tell...
    <snip> I don't think HS would be wise to be sharing all features of its thinner, smaller, faster hybrid device bevfore its release, even if their biggest rivals' chief (sp) wasn't there (Gates). <snip>

Btw, Gates WAS there.

/T
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious
    <snip> I don't think HS would be wise to be sharing all features of its thinner, smaller, faster hybrid device bevfore its release, even if their biggest rivals' chief (sp) wasn't there (Gates). <snip>

Btw, Gates WAS there.

/T
    Yes, I know. It would have been unwise to do it if he weren't there, let alone when he was right there watching.

That is not exciting.
    I have to say that I'm with SeldomVisitor here. It sounds like they've made a smaller version of the Treo. Nothing particularly revolutionary from how it sounds. And the skeptic in me is concerned that usability will be hurt if the thumbboard is physically smaller. I'm also suspect of the lack of a flip screen. Either that means that it doesn't use a touch-screen by adding some sort of d-pad or pointing-stick (which would be interesting but not without its share of drawbacks) or it's still a touchscreen but now is unprotected. That wouldn't be good.

I hope the rest of you are right and there's more interesting stuff in there than has been reported, but I'm not feeling overly optimistic at this point.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    From the NC Times article:

Jeff Hawkins, Handspring co-founder, showed a sneak preview of a new communicator device the company is developing for its Treo line. The prototype has a slightly smaller size and brighter screen than its current Treo communicators, which combine a digital organizer with a cell phone.

Hawkins explained that Handspring incrementally reduces the size of its products to make them easier to carry, while not making them so small as to be impractical. Also, a smaller device works better as a cell phone.

Smaller size, brighter screen, no mention of the rumored camera. This doesn't sound like a must-have product.
    Well I know one thing... No camera+no flip= me looking at the Hitachi G1000... I mean without those goodies (plus built-in bluetooth would make this the ultimate with a wireless headset) I just dont think they can top any of the other toys on SPCS network... A sony Ericsson T608 coupled with a ZIre 71 with a bluetooth card sounds more like what I want.
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    I seem to remember a story about an ocean liner whose ship captain saw the tip of an iceberg in the distance. While the tip didn't look ominous, unfortunately there alot more more below the surface, causing the Titanic to sink as a result.

Image Hand working a year on an upgrade on which it knows it is betting the company, and all they can came up is a little smaller form and a brighter screen. Just because size and screen details are all that are being released presently, in no way indicates thats all there is. Orange is a huge company. There is no way they wanted to work with a tiny company like Hand that is weak financially. The only way that would happen is if Hand had a device that Orange thought was head and shoulders better than the competition. Unless you too want to run into an iceberg, you too might try not to make too broad an assumption on too small a piece of information.
    worst case scenario for me seems to be that if the new phone is just incrementally better than the treo300, then i can just stick with that and get more than a year's use out of my $450 early adopter price!
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    All evidence we have - and almost all INDIRECT evidence - says you are correct with your assessment of the new "TREO 2" - it is incrementally "better" than the TREO 270/300.

Evolutionary, not revolutionary, as someone somewhere said...
    All evidence we have - and almost all INDIRECT evidence - says you are correct with your assessment of the new "TREO 2" - it is incrementally "better" than the TREO 270/300.

Evolutionary, not revolutionary, as someone somewhere said...
    I bought my 270, one of the first ones to see Germany, because I thought it was a very good device. I still think so, but I had to live through the two big downsides:

First, the qualitiy: My first 270 seemed to have a defect in the phone unit, since the connection kept going down after some seconds. My second 270, which I had for some months then, literally fell apart piece by piece. First the speaker cable broke, then the SIM lid got loose and now, the carging control will not charge my battery to more then 40% full.

This would not mean a big problem save for the second problem, the support. When I exchanged the Treo for the first time, they made a big deal about me not having sent in the unit, although I had proof. As I wanted to exchange the second unit, they had another company do that, so I had to send the Treo to Belgium (that's EUR 16.50 that I guess I won't see back) and I'm still waiting for it to return.

At the mome, I'm seriously pissed at Hand. I'd much rather have an inferiour device which works and is exchanged without any problems if it should break than the Treo, which is really cool, but never works as intended and takes ages to be repaired.

Although I think I will not buy any other Handspring product until they bring their service back to Germany, I would really recommend evolving the current Treo into something usable that to bring out an all new device which will have the same problems.
    More tidbits:

"The next-generation version is no longer a clamshell form factor, but is instead a standard stick phone. It has a much better backlit pen-sensitive screen than the first, and is still a full function Palm OS device. Hawkins seemed most proud of the five-way toggle that can be used to control most applications, using a single hand to navigate, call, etc. Hawkins said the device should be available by end of summer or early fall."

/T

"Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious."
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious
    "The next-generation version is no longer a clamshell form factor, but is instead a standard stick phone. It has a much better backlit pen-sensitive screen than the first, and is still a full function Palm OS device. Hawkins seemed most proud of the five-way toggle that can be used to control most applications, using a single hand to navigate, call, etc. Hawkins said the device should be available by end of summer or early fall."
    Thanks for the update. This confirms one of my previous statements where I suspected that they might introduce a d-pad for navigation. It sounds like they didn't completely get rid of the touch-screen, which is probably a good thing, though it does make me wonder how the screen will be protected. Even if it isn't a clamshell design in the sense of the current Treo, I'd like to think that it may have some sort of flip-cover to at least protect the screen.

Now, the main thing I want to find out is how the thumbboard is designed. If they've made the device smaller, have they simply reduced the size of the current thumbboard or have they done something a bit more innovative? As I've posted about before, I already find the current thumbboard to be a bit too small and difficult to use.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Does that mean it will look like the Tungten-W with a joystick? or smaller than that form factor?
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Originally posted by starrwulfe
    Well I know one thing... No camera+no flip= me looking at the Hitachi G1000... I mean without those goodies (plus built-in bluetooth would make this the ultimate with a wireless headset) I just dont think they can top any of the other toys on SPCS network... A sony Ericsson T608 coupled with a ZIre 71 with a bluetooth card sounds more like what I want.
    I agree totally. With all signs pointing to a minor difference between the 1st and 2nd gen Treos I'm likely to try the Hitachi unless its so unwieldy size-wise as to not be usable. The T608 should it ever come out would also be a great option if the RF performance is better than SE's GSM phones, which is god-awful.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast