Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I posted elsewhere on this thread that the new treo is thinner and has a dramatically better screen than the existing Treo. I also believe the new Treo will be an OS 5 device, so it will be faster. Finally, I think their main focus was to spend a ton of time doing what apple does so well. Making a really simple interface to allow the user to do complex things easily. Hand hopes to gain more main stream customers by designing as user friendly as possible.

Their attention to detail is what tends to separate then from their competition. While handspring had been able to concentrate on the next generation phone for almost a year, Samsung, for example, keeps on rollinig out new phones, and now they are doing new phones in different Operating systems as well. Not listening to users is probably why Samsung probably still hasn't figured out that they need a different keyboard to succeed.
    Based on the Hawkins interview, I am guessing that the new Treo will have one of those keyboards that has the alphabetic and numeric keys interspersed with each other at different heights and with different shapes (like this). What was it called....Fastap..by a company named Digit Wireless. That way HS can keep the keyboard and still be more phone-centric.
    Originally posted by scrinch
    Based on the Hawkins interview, I am guessing that the new Treo will have one of those keyboards that has the alphabetic and numeric keys interspersed with each other at different heights and with different shapes (like this). What was it called....Fastap..by a company named Digit Wireless. That way HS can keep the keyboard and still be more phone-centric.
    hope not.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    that fastap keyboard is interesting but being a qwerty touch typist i am not looking to learn a new key layout... sort of defeats the idea of the thumboard IMHO.

besides, it looks like a phone keypad with a bad case of measles.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by Felipe
    hope not.
    Ditto.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Originally posted by rvwink
    I posted elsewhere on this thread that the new treo is thinner and has a dramatically better screen than the existing Treo
    I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain that the current Treo was too thick. Too wide? Yes. But not too thick.

Originally posted by rvwink
    While handspring had been able to concentrate on the next generation phone for almost a year, Samsung, for example, keeps on rollinig out new phones, and now they are doing new phones in different Operating systems as well.
    You'll get no argument from me that Samsung doesn't know the first thing about designing a good interface (I owned the i300 which was sized nice and had some other things in its favor, but the Palm OS side of things was poorly integrated). But I don't know about the idea that Handspring has the luxury of spending a year to get it right. The Treo 300 is the best integrated PDA/phone out there (with no small part of its advantage thanks to Sprint's unlimited data plan), but the competition (many of whom can move much faster and have much larger financial resources) will catch up and pass them in a matter of time. Handspring needs to get a great next-gen device out there sooner rather than later, or there won't be a later.

Scott
    Hawkins will never go for the Fastap interface. Remember that the devices that are the target for the Treo are mainly Blackberry-esque. The fact that RIM has added voice to the Blackberry line, and Palm now having voice on both the W and the C means that thumboards are here to stay, at least in this device category.
    That fastap thing will never fly with Jeff and Donna.
    Originally posted by nrosser
    Hawkins will never go for the Fastap interface.
    The reason I wouldn't rule it out was because of past comments which seemed to imply that the next-gen Treo would be more narrow. I already find the present thumbboard to be too small, so making the device more narrow would either mean something along the lines of one of my mock-ups, or a radically different keyboard layout.

Scott
    I don't think the width of the Treo (mine is a 270) is really a problem. Most of the phones have finished getting smaller and are now getting bigger again, as they want to have bigger screens and cameras and things like that.

Do you want to see what direction phones are going, look at the new Nokias. Those guys are on the front edge of the market pretty consistantly.
    FastTap does have a QWERTY version. They don't show it very well, but you can see it here:

http://www.digitwireless.com/for/pda.html

The concept does sound interesting, and if the QWERTY one works, I could imagine it in a Treo.
    This is what Hawkins said about keyboards. I suppose he didn't necessarily mean that they would use a Fastap-type keyboard, but I think he is saying that they are making some changes.
    from the Hawkins interview:
    Keyboards will show up in well more than 50 percent of cell phones in the future. You can make them smaller and more functional.
    How do you do that? By changing the layout?
    I don't want to be too detailed here. In terms of key shapes, layouts, colors, it's how you backlight the keys and how you overwrite their functions. There are a lot of varieties.
    Last edited by scrinch; 05/31/2003 at 10:25 PM.
    JDave wrote:

I don't think the width of the Treo (mine is a 270) is really a problem. Most of the phones have finished getting smaller and are now getting bigger again, as they want to have bigger screens and cameras and things like that.

But who is "they" -- the manufacturers or the consumers? I think the current feature creep we're seeing is mostly a supply-side phenomenon. Phones are getting bigger because manufacturers are desperately adding novelties in the hopes that people will get back on the upgrade cycle. Cell phone sales have slowed at a faster rate than the economy in general. Most consumers don't see why they should buy a new cell phone when they have one that does what they need: i.e. to call people. Of course, Treo owners are an exception.

Features like color screens, MMS, MP3 playback, digital cameras, querty keyboards and bluetooth -- while very cool -- are solutions looking for problems.

Do you want to see what direction phones are going, look at the new Nokias. Those guys are on the front edge of the market pretty consistantly.

I've really enjoyed the Treo and don't regret buying it, but I'm probably going to switch to a Nokia with the traditional, tiny 8000-series form factor: it fits in your pocket, it's easy to find aftermarket cases for them, they're cheap, unimpressive (a good thing, IMO), it doesn't scuff if you so much as breathe on it, and the small monochrome screen doesn't need a constant Windex job.

I'm just waiting to see what Handspring has in store for the Treo 2.
    At least here in Europe Nokia has lost it edge. Yes, their user interfaces are still among the best, but in terms of innovation they haven't released anything successful in two years. The 7650 is not doing well, despite the push for Symbian and openness in terms of applications.

Samsung, Panasonic and the likes seem to be much more successful in marketing their new (camera-)phones, in particular through packaging with operators like Vodafone and Orange.

And for quality, Nokia has totally lost it. Their screens have a built-in timebomb set to 18 months, rendering the phone totally useless by the time Nokia thinks you shoulg upgrade. Same for the batteries.

I'm looking forward to what Orange will do with the Treo 2. Lack of marketing (price, availability) and customer service are the two things that killed the Treo here.
    Originally posted by DHAnderson
    FastTap does have a QWERTY version. They don't show it very well, but you can see it here:

http://www.digitwireless.com/for/pda.html

The concept does sound interesting, and if the QWERTY one works, I could imagine it in a Treo.
    neat!
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    I don't have any numerical data, but based on activity I'm seeing on the web, the Nokia 3650 seems to be doing very, very well. It's arguably one of the larger more feature-bloated devices but sells for cheap and just plain works well.

Scott
    Unfortunately there was no followup article about the All Things Digital show as expected would appear this weekend in that North County paper so we continue to have literally no information about the product that HAND supposedly demonstrated IN PUBLIC to as many as 300 people on Thursday morning - IMHO, that total lack of even the slightest rumor says that the product wasn't exciting enough for at least a few of those 300 people to convey to others to spread the news.

****!

Anyone have any OTHER sources that'll be reporting Real Soon Now!?
    looks good for Hand, looks like about 20% talks about hand

http://www.nctimes.net/news/2003/20030601/70737.html

go hand, i want them to turn around and get things going, i want to see their products for years to come.
    Brief (VERY brief) comments on the new Handspring hybrid by a friend of mine that attended.

. . . Nice form factor . . . like an oversize phone . . . no closing cover . . . retains the thumb keyboard . . . screen very nice . . .

-- Sorry for the frustrating teaser but you guys want any tidbit, right?

/T
    hmm, no flip cover. that will make it thinner.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast