1.    #1  
    I am a big Treo fan, and even more so now that I own a Sony Ericsson P800.

Why switch? Well, my Treo kept breaking (once a calling error and second time the cover broke). Of course the sole agent gave me a new one each time, but since my warranty was expiring in 2 days, I made the switch.

But now that I have, there isn't a call that goes by that I don't think fondly of my Treo.

Hey Handspring employees, here's my wish list if you're looking.

Make the thing more sturdy.
    Add bluetooth.
    Make it polyphonic.
    Add more color.

Other than that, all the fancy pants stuff is just secondary.

Triband.
    Voice activation.
    Memory Slot.
    Camera. Although the ability to match photos with caller ID is really cool.
    MP3.

Here's where the Treo shines.

Keyboard.
    Easy access to phone numbers.
    More logical interface.
    Ability to be used with 1 hand.
    SPEAKERPHONE.
    Palm OS.

My last request. Release a new TREO NOW so I can trade in my P800.
    Hi Bertbuster -

I feel your pain...or I will shortly. I have a Mineral Gray P800 on order, simply because I'm on my 6th Treo and just got fed up with the unit's finicky behaviour. I am a HUGE Treo fan - but I just can't take the returns anymore. I'm even hedging my bets by ordering an i700 when they're available - supposedly Monday.

So I have a question - what can I expect in the P800? It looks pretty complicated, but sometimes that can be fun.

Thanks a lot!
    Larry Z.

Originally posted by bertbuster

Hey Handspring employees, here's my wish list if you're looking.

Make the thing more sturdy.
    Add bluetooth.
    Make it polyphonic.
    Add more color....
    The Treo is polyphonic!!! Also, BT would be nice but a 320x320 transflecitve screen would be glorious!
    Actually, only the 300 is polyphonic. I suspect the original poster had a 180 or 270.

Geoffrey
    Hi all -

I just got my P800 this morning, and here are my thoughts...

The Bad...
    The manual was in German.
    The plug was European, prompting a quick trip to Radio Shack.
    I can't send e-mails, I can only receive them due to some ephemeral weirdness I cannot currently explain. Hopefully the brainiacs on the Howard P800 forum will help me clear it up.

The Medium
    It's more complicated to set up than the Treo, but doable for someone like me who uses a Mac. 'Nuff said.
    The Radio Shack plug worked fine. So did the downloaded PDF manual in English.

The Good
    You can record your wife saying, "Hey, pick up the phone!" and use it as your ringer.
    You can attach a photo (taken by the phone) to it, so the image comes up when the call comes in.
    The screen is really good - sharper than Treo. (But somehow doesn't feel as big!)
    The speed is pretty much the same.
    It's small and it's cool. I got a "Mineral Gray," which is more muted than the iMac colored "Electric Blue."

The Treo is still a wonderful marriage of PDA and phone. It is, however, lacking in terms of functionality. I am keeping my Treo activated, because I unabashedly think it's great and I want to support it. However, I don't think I'll be using it much in the next few months. I await the next Treo, and I hope that some of the innovations of the P800 are included in it!

Larry Z.
    Hey, have you guys seen the new Nokia 6108!!

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/images/1704_super.jpg

This this looks absolutely incredible and I bet it gives SE a run for ist money. Here are the phone specs:

Triband GSM (900/1800/1900)
    Weight: 98g
    Dimensions: 106mm x 46.4mm x 26mm, 85cc volume
    Talk time: 3 - 7 hours, Standby time: 170hrs - 410hrs
    4096 color display with 128x128 resolution
    Flip up keypad covers pen input area
    Reads Chinese and English characters via the pen interface - with prediction
    Polyphonic ringtones
    Email client
    MMS support
    Java support
    GPRS, HSCSD support
    SyncML support
    Chinese-English dictionary with 100,000 words
    Calendar, Notepad applications included

Interestingly, this mobile doens't seem to run Symbian OS which rather peculiar IMO. None the less accoriding to reports:

the Nokia 6108 is equipped with a personal organizer, which supports the Note feature, mobile email feature, advanced calendar and a phonebook with a large memory. With SyncML, personal data such as calendars and contact information can be synchronised remotely over the network, accessible and up-to-date. Local synchronisation of personal data can also be done via the Nokia PC Suite. The PC Suite enables users to synchronise phone information with a compatible PC, install software, configure phone settings and make back-ups of phone files. The wallet application in the Nokia 6108 allows easy, reliable and convenient service access and mobile payment.
    Anyway, its a very cool desing IMHO and if thsi thing ran Series 60 and had SDIO, it woudl be very impressive...

http://mobile.burn.com/review.jsp?Id=334
    Originally posted by LZMutant
    Hi all -

I just got my P800 this morning, and here are my thoughts...

The Bad...
    The manual was in German.
    The plug was European, prompting a quick trip to Radio Shack.
    I can't send e-mails, I can only receive them due to some ephemeral weirdness I cannot currently explain. Hopefully the brainiacs on the Howard P800 forum will help me clear it up.

<snip>

Larry Z.
    Hmmm. The English P800 is on the SE web site, if our purchased the phone from the UK or Europe, it will come with a plug for that country. You should have known that but you solved the probleml. I can't explain your "wierdness" with regards to the e-mail client. It works for me and always have.

No bads whatever, in my opinion other than not working on Sprint.
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Hey, have you guys seen the new Nokia 6108!!
    I read about this earlier today. It really doesn't do anything for me. Stylus-based input on a 128x128 square screen? I think that's the biggest disappointment for me.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Originally posted by Maniac8888

Hmmm. The English P800 is on the SE web site, if our purchased the phone from the UK or Europe, it will come with a plug for that country. You should have known that but you solved the probleml. I can't explain your "wierdness" with regards to the e-mail client. It works for me and always have.

No bads whatever, in my opinion other than not working on Sprint.
    Hi Maniac8888 -

FYI - I didn't buy the phone from SE, I purchased it from a reseller in Las Vegas. When you buy a german car from a dealer in the US, you expect the odometer to read in miles, not kilometers. That's why I expected the plug to have been changed. Oh, well...the adapter was only $10.

The problem with the email is that on my Treo, the services Treo Mail and Snapperfish both have the capability to forward email through Pac Bell. Since there are no services like that for the P800, I have to send the email directly, and Pac Bell's SMTP site won't allow the email in. The workaround here is either GopherKing or ATT's Smart Office service - both web-based email services. You have to go to the web page to access and send email. I've tried both, and I prefer GopherKing. Mostly, however, I read email on the P800 and then go home and do my replies from my Mac.

After having the phone a few days, I'm pretty amazed by it. It's not as simple and elegant as the Treo, but it does a lot more and IS a load of fun to play with!

LZ