webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  General News & Discussion > Thoughts on a new communicator
Thoughts on a new communicator

Old 05/13/2003, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

For the first time last night, I actually handled a smartphone. It was a Motorola unit, quite small, had built-in JAVA, etc. Really quite cool.

And definitely NOT something I would want as my do-all communicator.

But neither are the existing TREOs.

So, while falling asleep, some ideas on what I =would= want.
---

(1) Large screen.

(2) Small phone.

(3) QWERTY keyboard.

(4) Touchscreen (tapscreen?).

(5) Small phone.

(6) Powerful computer.

(7) Small phone.

---

Something's not working here.

So what I want is a large screen PDA with keyboard and tapscreen with a DETACHABLE Piggyback phone with a dinky screen and standard numeric buttons, etc. Maybe talking to each other via Bluetooth or whatever.

I don't care that the thing might be an inch thick or so while piggybacked. My current Nokia old dumb cell phone already is thick.

Bells and whistles like a camera can be on the phone part.

That's what I would want.

Anyone suppllying it?
SeldomVisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2003, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've kicked that idea around in my head a few times (additionally a screen that can be switched out for outside use), but remember, phones have to be ultra durable and any latching mechanism would add size.

Another thing to consider: what is the difference between what you are proposing and a bluetooth enabled phone/pda combo strapped together with a rubber band?
KRamsauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2003, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SeldomVisitor

(1) Large screen.
(2) Small phone.
(3) QWERTY keyboard.
(4) Touchscreen (tapscreen?).
(5) Small phone.
(6) Powerful computer.
(7) Small phone.

Aren't #2, #5 and #7 similar?...
Seriously though, you are talking about two different items (PDA & phone) attached. Naw: I'd like ONE machine to do the work of two. Treo 270 and 300 are very good start. Hopefully the next generation of Treo will be even better.
m00se
Old 05/13/2003, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Nope - I'm talking about a phone-sized phone and a PDA-sized PDA.

The TREOs definitely do NOT fit the bill.

Right now we slide batteries onto the back of run-of-the-mill phones.

Okay, we take a run-of-the-mill PDA. We slide a nice small phone up the center of its back. We put the whole damn thing into a holster/clip for carrying around witht he screen side toward the user (phone on outside).

Wanna surf? Pull the whole damn thing outta your clip and use it as a "wired PDA". No one cares that it's "thick" and has a little antenna sticking up.

Wanna just talk to The Babe - slide the phone outta the back of the PDA and go for it - keep the PDA in the clip/holster. Dinky phoen doing what phones do well.

I think it's doable.
Old 05/13/2003, 03:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sounds like a nice idea for a PDA/cell phone combo case. If you had bluetooth connectivity, you could pull out just the PDA for surfing and PDA activities. You could pull out just the phone for phone activities. All this with just one thing hanging from the utility belt.
mbaker911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2003, 05:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Seems to me like the Nokia 6800 is on the right track, and closest to single device in phone form factor. I'm surprised it has not been mentioned on these boards before. I think it will take about a year to get the software and services (e.g. corporate e-mail) all there, but in terms of the right hardware solution, it's the closest I've seen.
bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2003, 11:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
Something's not working here.

So what I want is a large screen PDA with keyboard and tapscreen with a DETACHABLE Piggyback phone with a dinky screen and standard numeric buttons, etc. Maybe talking to each other via Bluetooth or whatever.

I don't care that the thing might be an inch thick or so while piggybacked. My current Nokia old dumb cell phone already is thick.

Bells and whistles like a camera can be on the phone part.

That's what I would want.

Anyone suppllying it?
Except for its small size, It sounds like you want a Treo 90 with a Bluetooth SD card and a stand alone Bluetooth phone. Sony's TG50 might be more your speed. If they made Bluetooth cameras and put Bluetooth radios on iPods, you'd be already set.
ZombieElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2004, 01:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

... which is better?

1) A Zire72+Wireless functions (or a Tungsten W on steroids) with bluetooth headset. You would make & receive calls, write and accept SMS, etc, on the PDA. The headset is an ultrathin lightweight model. You might think of this as a Treo the size of a regular PDA, and without the speaker.

2) A Zire72 and a bluetooth-enabled Nokia cellphone. (or any other brand, I'm just using the Nokia as an example)

So which is better, in your opinion? Option 1) or option 2) ?
thumb-tied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2004, 05:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

I made that original post of this thread a year ago - yikes!

Anyway - it looks to THIS reader like PalmOne is for SURE heading to what I mentioned with their redefinition of "converged device" to allow multiple communicating devices (!!!). As such, perhaps that "device" mentioned up there will be Coming Soon! (albeit maybe not so converged that it's piggybacked...)
Old 05/07/2004, 08:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

[QUOTE=DarthRepublican]Except for its small size, It sounds like you want a Treo 90 with a Bluetooth SD card and a stand alone Bluetooth phone. QUOTE]

You know Darth has got me thinking of an idea. This is not what I would want but sounds like the concept SeldomVisitor was looking for. I understand why a design like this would be wanted for people that would rather carry a small phone on weekends for example.

Let's look back at the design of of the Handspring VisorPhone. It piggybacked the Visor and they made a special piece of hardware that you could plug it into to make it a standalone phone. It wasn't the best phone or the best formfitting design but I guess you can say that it was the first attempt at the design Seldom wants.

Lets fast forward to today's models. PalmOne has standardized to the SDIO model (rather than Springboard lets just say). How about creating a PDA with a SDIO phone. It would allow the phone run as standalone or plugged into the PDA. When in PDA mode, you can transfer phone numbers and ringtones into the phone which will also acts as your memory card.

The trick would be the design. The palm device could be contoured in the back so something simular to a modified StarTek slides into the SDIO slot. Somehow the phone needs to work both attached and detached and yet still look and be functional. It would be a very tough R&D project...

Personally, you can remove your sim card to a smaller phone when you don't want to carry the larger device so I feel that's a better solution but to each their own.
manielse is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0