View Poll Results: Will HAND need to buy Palmsource?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 16.67%
  • No

10 83.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    1. Yes
    2. No

Why should they buy?

Why should they not buy?
    Handspring buy ANYTHING?

You're kidding, right?

Have you checked any recent financial filing by Handspring lately?

Handspring will be lucky to have enough money to pay the rent in a quarter or two.
    Originally posted by craigdts
    1. Yes
    2. No

Why should they buy?

Why should they not buy?
    You must be joking. Handspring is trying to find money to keep themselves afloat.
    Cute...

(Oh, I voted NO BTW )
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    It's more like the other way around. Will Palm eventually buy out Handspring?
  6.    #6  
    so i guess no one holds out any hope that the treo will be successful and return HAND to profitability?
    I'm going with "too little, too late". But we can only wait and see.
    Originally posted by craigdts
    so i guess no one holds out any hope that the treo will be successful and return HAND to profitability?
    I am cautiously optimistic
    m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    I think the more appropiate question would be: "Will Handspring continue to use PalmOS?"

I think from HS's perspective, they need to figure out the best path towards survival and profitabilty, and that may not necessarily be confined to the PalmOS. I think its entirely possible for HS to release a Symbian or even linux communicator if the market situation demands it. Most analysts and so called experts quite glibly believe that palmOs has no future in the smartphone industry and that competition from Symbain (Series 60, 80 and UIQ) and M$ (MS smartphone, PPCphone etc) and various permutaions of linux will dominate leaving PalmOS out. If this actually becomes the case, then HS will have no chance but to switch platforms, if they're still around that is... hopefully it won't have to come to that...hopefully....
    Considering HS is a paid-up Palm licensee until 2009, it doesn't appear they are going to change their "stripes" anytime soon.
  11.    #11  
    well, i am just asking because i am hoping that the next gen treo will be a success. then HAND would be able to get the palm os back into their software designers hands so they could innovate.
    Personally from the look of things at PALM i think their hardware/pda business will be finished becuase they are still making pda's. i dont think that palm can compete in the pda business (w/o HANDs development and technical team).
    I think HANDs (hawkins and dubinski's) bold move to cut pda line and only go treo (even cut some treo lines) will prove a success. There is no other email/pda/phone device i would even consider using.
    So my question was really, assuming the treo becomes successful, will HAND buy palm os division from palm (which may be dirt cheap @ that time) . . . because there is money in software. i mean these other pda/cell phone products that nokia and the others are putting out, who the heck designed them, they are crap to me. no keyboard and huge size. the real competition seems to have gone pda first then phone. while hand went about 50/50. and i think i read that new treo is going more phone. (yet others, i forgot which one, but its a regular phone size, but opens up with keyboard on each side of screen. what good is that? tiny screen, i would never buy that) so you can go too much phone then loose ability to have a good pda.
    so im still holding for hand to be successful. i would hate for us to have to use the products that these others co's come out with, they are just not up to par w/ hand's. i would be very sad and tragic for the phone/pda/email device if we lose hand as a manufacturer/designer.
  12.    #12  
    oh yeah, and after all the palm os is hand's baby, so i want them to get it back in their own hands so they can keep developing it and bring us better and better devices.

how far can this company really go only making communicators?
  13.    #13  
    well, i am just asking because i am hoping that the next gen treo will be a success. then HAND would be able to get the palm os back into their software designers hands so they could innovate.
    Personally from the look of things at PALM i think their hardware/pda business will be finished becuase they are still making pda's. i dont think that palm can compete in the pda business (w/o HANDs development and technical team).
    I think HANDs (hawkins and dubinski's) bold move to cut pda line and only go treo (even cut some treo lines) will prove a success. There is no other email/pda/phone device i would even consider using.
    So my question was really, assuming the treo becomes successful, will HAND buy palm os division from palm (which may be dirt cheap @ that time) . . . because there is money in software. i mean these other pda/cell phone products that nokia and the others are putting out, who the heck designed them, they are crap to me. no keyboard and huge size. the real competition seems to have gone pda first then phone. while hand went about 50/50. and i think i read that new treo is going more phone. (yet others, i forgot which one, but its a regular phone size, but opens up with keyboard on each side of screen. what good is that? tiny screen, i would never buy that) so you can go too much phone then loose ability to have a good pda.
    so im still holding for hand to be successful. i would hate for us to have to use the products that these others co's come out with, they are just not up to par w/ hand's. i would be very sad and tragic for the phone/pda/email device if we lose hand as a manufacturer/designer.
    Last edited by craigdts; 05/11/2003 at 09:17 AM.
    People have been rumoring of Handspring's demise for years, and it has yet to materialize. If you gave the latest financials an informed, careful review you saw some serious charges to get out of a lease that was too expensive for where the company is at and is going. You also noticed that over the last year, or so, Handspring has dramatically altered its cost structure and business strategy to make it a very lean company with fairly low business risk.

As to the original question, I think it would be better for PalmSource to stay independent, so it can rack up more licensees without the concern that Handspring, or anyone else, is getting an unfair competitive advantage. Worst case scenario, Sony buys PalmSource.

Now, in a year, or two, I could see Handspring making an acquisition, or two, but that is a discussion for after the next gen Treo.

JMHO

Gargoyle
    Sony can't buy Palm Source, so there's your answer. I used the Symbian OS since it's inception on a Psion. It's a great OS. A HS/Symbian Communicator would be frigging scary.
    Originally posted by J. Kevin Wolfe
    Sony can't buy Palm Source, so there's your answer. I used the Symbian OS since it's inception on a Psion. It's a great OS. A HS/Symbian Communicator would be frigging scary.
    <sarcasm>With thousands of apps to choose from right?</sarcasm>
    Originally posted by gargoylejps

<snip>You also noticed that over the last year, or so, Handspring has dramatically altered its cost structure and business strategy to make it a very lean company with fairly low business risk.

<snip>

JMHO

Gargoyle
    Well, that's not the the consensus of the analystis covering Handspring nor does this reflect in the 10-Q. They need money (they say), their stock has been below $1.00 for ages, they have made inference to a loss (significant) in the next two quarters and they don't have a lot of money. Nothing wrong with this I guess.
    Appleman,

Sarcasm not necessary. Psion invented the Personal Organizer. There were thousands of apps available for it before Palm was introduced. They offered programming software built in from the inception. Being the most popuplar handheld in Europe (until Psion decided to get out of the hardware biz) there are many apps out there for Psion and Symbian that have been around for years and are amazing in what they can do, since Psion went to the ARM processor the year after Palm hit the shelves.

I love my Treo 90, but it still can't do what the Symbian OS can.
    Originally posted by J. Kevin Wolfe
    I love my Treo 90, but it still can't do what the Symbian OS can.
    Have any examples? I'm curious.
    Appleman,

I guess it's first necessary to understand the differences in the OSs. Symbian is a streamlined Desktop OS that runs on a handheld. And Palm is an Organizer OS that's outgrowing it's design. Symbian uses standard proprietary doc files and programs like PC and Mac. Also, Symbian can treat flash cards just like internal memory, which is a huge plus for convenience and speed.

My favorite app for my Series 5 was nConvert. It could open docs in most popular formats and would convert them to native psion files. So when I got an attached jpg in an email, I could tap the icon and it opened as a Sketch app. MS word files opened in Psion Word format. Excel files opened as Psion Spreadsheets. The system knew what non-native files to open with what app. I could open files that PCs and Mac would have trouble with. I could also easily convert back to the original format and all the files could reside in the same folder. Palm is just now able to do this by storing non-native files on external media. And the ability to open a Word attachment that you get in an email just happened a few months ago on the Palm. So the psion could function as a computer rather than an extention of a computer, as Palm has been.

There was also a Photoshop style images editor (very powerful) and some great utilities, like automatic archiving of email into a db, a mono recording studio, etc.

I went to Palm when Psion announced they would no longer be making hardware. Since there were no other players using the Symbian OS at the time, I decided not to invest in more hardware that would not be supported past the end of this year. By the way I'm very happy with my Treo90. It's biggest advantage over the psion is that it's truly a handheld and you don't have to flip it open and use it on a table. (However I could type 60wpm on my psion.)

The Psion comes with Word, Spreadsheet, Pop Email, Opera web browser, audio recorder, spellchecker, Database and Sketching software as standard, in addition to the basic stuff standard on a Palm. The processors are now at least 5 years old and run at 33mhz with 16Meg of Ram. The psions can run 31 apps at once, plus the OS.

Very worthwhile machine, very bad marketing that led to it's demise.

More apps at psionplace.com and Tucows.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast