Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    The Targus keyboard is now available from the Targus web site.

According to the Targus compatibility matrix it has been tested as compatibkle with the Treo 300.

I have not bought and/or tested it myself (yet)

Jim

**Update** Bought one from Targus.com . I'll update results in a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by jimn367; 05/22/2003 at 02:46 PM.
    Jim,
    If you can get some kind of an evaluation out sooner than two weeks (time permiting of course), we might be able to swap the Belkins for Targus boards. I sure wish Belkin would give us an indication of whether or not they intend to update the driver.
    The keyboard itself is pretty good; but, the uncomfortable feeling that your data could be wiped out at any second makes it very difficult to want to use the thing at all. Mine is packed, in the car, and ready to return if I get a favorable report on an alternative.
    Last edited by copernicus; 05/23/2003 at 07:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    The Targus keyboard is back ordered. Just got a notification e-mail...

It probably will be closer to a couple of weeks.
    Well, copernicus, what are you going to do? I think I may go ahead and call Outpost.com for an RMA #.

Does anyone know off-hand if either of these keyboards work with OS 5?

Geoffrey
    I think I'll wait a week and then proceed with the return if I don't hear anything. I'd hate to wind up with nothing though.

Originally posted by gmaugham
    Well, copernicus, what are you going to do? I think I may go ahead and call Outpost.com for an RMA #.

Does anyone know off-hand if either of these keyboards work with OS 5?

Geoffrey
    Thanks for keeping us posted.

Originally posted by jimn367
    The Targus keyboard is back ordered. Just got a notification e-mail...

It probably will be closer to a couple of weeks.
    I may have posted this once before but I use a CyKey Microwriter keyboard.

It's small and very fast to type on. I use flip hack to flip the screen to align the Ir's.
    www.gsmworld.com
    I just noticed that the Targus keyboard supports OS 5 now. They're testing it with the Tungsten C and Zire 71.

Geoffrey
    I bought the iConcepts IR keyboard at CompUSA this week for $29.99 (after rebate). Seems to work relatively well with my Treo 270 so far. Haven't tried it with my wife's Zire 71 yet...

Is iConcepts another name for Belkin or Targus? A line of their products?
    Hmmm, there sure seem to be a lot of boards surfacing lately. Does the iConcepts keyoard attach itself directly to the Treo? One thing that really makes me uneasy about using the Belkin is that the stand is a bit unstable for a device as delicate as the Treo.

Originally posted by pbryon
    I bought the iConcepts IR keyboard at CompUSA this week for $29.99 (after rebate). Seems to work relatively well with my Treo 270 so far. Haven't tried it with my wife's Zire 71 yet...

Is iConcepts another name for Belkin or Targus? A line of their products?
    I decided that I'm tired of practically knocking my Treo and stand over when I try to tap on the screen. I'm returning my keyboard to Outpost.com to get the Belkin. I'm hoping one of my local Best Buys has it in stock as someone else wrote in another thread.

Geoffrey
    Geoffrey,
    You have the Belkin and are returning it, right. Which board are you hoping to find at Best Buy? I didn't see the post.

Originally posted by gmaugham
    I decided that I'm tired of practically knocking my Treo and stand over when I try to tap on the screen. I'm returning my keyboard to Outpost.com to get the Belkin. I'm hoping one of my local Best Buys has it in stock as someone else wrote in another thread.

Geoffrey
    The iConcepts uses a freestanding stand, similar to some of the others. The Treo isn't the most stable on this stand--I had mine fall off a few times. Therefore, I usually don't use the stand; I use FlipHack, rotate the screen, and type that way.
    Sorry, there are several keyboard threads and the Targus at Best Buy must have been in another thread.

Geoffrey

Originally posted by copernicus
    Geoffrey,
    You have the Belkin and are returning it, right. Which board are you hoping to find at Best Buy? I didn't see the post.

Ok, thanks to all of you, I now have the Targus keyboard. I haven't installed the driver yet, but since some of the keyboard people here need up to the minute information, I thought it best to make a quick post. I did find it at Best Buy for $69.95 ($79.95 - $10 mail in rebate). This keyboard looks like it's much more usable than the Belkin. It's a big one! It's also a much more elaborate production with an integrated PDA stand and an IR antenna that neatly ratchets around about 215°to adjust to the position of the handheld. Yes, the right shift key and the space keys are going to take a little target practice, but I tested it a bit and I don't think this is going to be a big deal at all. There is an intriguing "full mouse cursor and selection control" built into the right side of the board and several other programmable keys. In a nutshell, it looks cool. Later, on how well it works. Geoffrey, hurry up before they run out.
    I heard some very favorble comments about the Stowaway keyboard a while back, but never really saw it. I have no way of knowing, but this keyboard must be pretty close to being the Stowaway's IR counterpart. While a bit large, it is a sturdily built and well engineered piece. The keys are full size and have a great feel. The stand is quite sturdy, and since it is attatched to the keyboard, it can be tapped on with a stylus without fear that it will tip over (very solid actually). While it is true that the Treo is not a perfect fit on the stand, it is totally adequate imho. As someone else mentioned, it does seem to me also that the four keys at the right are somehow hard coded to call only on the built in apps, though it's a bit early to tell. There are the ten Alt+Num combinations that can be programmed, however, and this seems good enough. The built in mouse works fairly well and it doubles as a substitute for arrow keys. You can move the cursor around as if you were on a desktop. This feature works perfectly. I've been fooling with the board for a while now, deliberately trying to make it crash the Treo, but it's holding up beautifully so far. I left the driver enabled, moved, and set up again without missing a beat. There is no need to be lining up a mirror just so. Just install the driver, put the Treo on the stand, ratchet up the IR "antenna", and it works -- not quirky at all. So far the thing feels excellent. The Belkin board doesn't hold a candle to this one. The mouse actually works, although evidently not at all levels (I am unable to get a pull down menu in Memo Pad by clicking on the top of the page, and still haven't figured out an alternative way to get a menu in areas where the mouse doesn't do the job). Anyway, my first impression is that it is a terrific little board. It seems much better than I expected; and, I am very pleased that I was made aware of it here making it possible for me to return the Belkin in time.
    Thank you VERY much Copernicus! That was a most detailed review. I was sitting on the fence about a purchase but you convinced me. Glad I've got those Best Buy gift certs still sitting around from family members who have no knowledge of technology and never know what to get.

One question, do you have your Treo in any sort of case? I was just wondering if I needed to take mine out of the case when I use it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks again.
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Grrr! I am soooo jealous. I ordered mine directly from Targus last week and it was backordered (and no rebate to boot!!!). I went to cancel my order [and head off to to Best Buy] BUT I found out it shipped last night via ground shipping!

Will the torture never end?!
    Originally posted by trainman
    One question, do you have your Treo in any sort of case? I was just wondering if I needed to take mine out of the case when I use it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks again.
    Hello trainman,
    I have the type of case where I have to remove the Treo completely to use it at all, so I am a bit hesitant to say that it would work. My impression is that as long as the IR port is not covered by the case it shouldn't be a problem. The stand is built in such a way that once the keyboard is unfolded, it should be able to accomodate the additional thickness of the type of case that is meant to be kept on all of the time. Once on the stand, without the case, if you choose to close the folding keyboard to conserve the keyboard's batteries, the case swings past the lower part of the Treo with a clearing of about 3/8 of an inch, so I don't think that should be a problem either. If it was you could just remove the Treo. Of course, I can't be sure, but it's my guess that you would be alright.
    Originally posted by jimn367
    Will the torture never end?!
    Well, I don't know if it will ever end, but it may have been well worth it!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast