Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    We've all had our Treo's since last summer and I for one, am ready for something new. I have a 270 that's been kicking along perfectly until this week when I dropped it and now the signal isn't coming in as strong, forcing me to reseat the sim and turn wireless on/off to regain signal. I was thinking of taking this oppurtunity to get something else. But WHAT?! I was going to get a Tungsten W just cause there is nothing else for GSM Palm users right now. But I just learned that The T|W is ATT only. I don't want to leave T-Mobile.

I don't mind that the T|W has a crappy phone (ie, need headset) because it will be used more for data/sms/email during the day, etc. When I get home I pop my Sim into my Nokia 5100 for nights and weekends. And I wouldn't mind a nice 320x320 resolution for web surfing, documents, games. I remember how nice my Clie 760 was when I had that.

The reason I dumped my T68 and Clie combo originally was to force myself to be more organized by integrating my phone and palm. Otherwise, my palm would sometimes sit unused, alarms for peoples birthdays would go unnoticed, etc. Moving to the Treo changed all that and now I depend on my palm for a lot!

So, maybe I should just go back to a separate phone/palm until maybe later this year when a new Treo comes out? I also like the new Samsung OS5 Palm Phone but it doesn't have a keyboard. I have come to rely on the keyboard so much on my treo.

If I do go back to separate devices, how well would the bluetooth work? The Clie TG-50 is a sweet Palm with built in Bluetooth. I would probably pair that up with a T68i (again). Any thoughts?

I guess I should probably just get my Treo repaired/replaced. I have the CompUSA Carry in replacement program, but I think they stopped selling it anyway.
    Originally posted by BladeZ
    I guess I should probably just get my Treo repaired/replaced. I have the CompUSA Carry in replacement program, but I think they stopped selling it anyway.
    I'd go use it...my local CompUSA still carries the 270, but they told me about a week ago that they were phasing it out in the near future when their stocks were depleted.

Just in case you *do* want to use that policy...
    I also like the new Samsung OS5 Palm Phone but it doesn't have a keyboard. I have come to rely on the keyboard so much on my treo.
    I agree, but have you seen the review of the Samsung i700 on pdaPhoneHome?

http://pdaphonehome.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1748
    http://pdaphonehome.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1755

OMG, that smartphone is absolutey amazing! I've also been a pamOs user for years, and a thumboard is very important for me, but the i700 is just so amazing that I might seriously consider switching...
    i have been getting fantastic use out of my treo in all ways. i am not a heavy phone user but the phone works great for me. as a palm, i have my calendar online at yahoo and sync with the treo and yahoo sends me 2 email reminders of all my appointments and meetings. also as a palm, i have games, books, and lots of other stuff on it that come in handy all the time.

as a web unit, i am able to check and answer email, and lots of other neat stuff.

my biggest fear right now is that handspring will go away and then what will i do? back to several pieces of equipment? the nokia brick? it would all be much less useful to me without the keyboard...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    [B]

QUOTE]

I used a Visorphone for a while. Kind of a brick, yes, but it convinced me of something - I just don't think the i700 form factor is going to catch on. Holding it up to your ear with the screen on your face, etc.

Plus, since I got my Treo 300, I'm now a keyboard convert. SO much easier to do so many things!

Cheers,

Jim
    Bored of the treo... no.

Regret purchasing a product w/ 0 QC... yes.

As a means to reduce the number of gadgets I carry, the treo has worked Perfectly. I can surf the web, check/send email, carry drug databases around, etc. (you all know it's functionality). As was mentioned above, the Keypad was a god send.

So in response to the title, I'm not tired of the treo... that is "the idea" of the treo. I am VERY tired of the actual treo. After four replacements, I think that stand point can be easily justified.
    Hmmm bored of my Treo? Well, not really.

I am certainly over the novelty of the Treo--meaning that it's no longer a new gadget for me to play around with and figure out. But as far as the functionality and usefulness, NOPE! I'm so loving how my Treo serves all its purposes for me: integrated device with phone, pda, wireless web, email on the go, appt/date reminders etc. With metsfan's KeyCapsHack 0.7 along with some other 3rd party apps I installed, I am in Treo heaven . Yes, I do take very good care not to abuse my Treo so as to not drop it, break off the flipdoor from its hinge and what not. But I do loathe the day I do some serious damage to my Treo to render it useless. Overall, I am happily enjoying it's functional usefulness and showing it off to all my friends, family, and colleagues who are surprisingly not so familiar with the Treo and for anything hi-tech gadget related for that matter. Other than my co-workers, most people I know are soooo not in touch with the PDA craze and hardly hi-technoology aware. Next to them, I'm quite the technocrat geek .
    "Some are born to move the world; to live their fantasies. But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be. Sadder still to watch it die than never to have known it. For you the blind who once could see...the bell tolls for thee." Rush
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by PianoGuy
    [B]
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

QUOTE]

I used a Visorphone for a while. Kind of a brick, yes, but it convinced me of something - I just don't think the i700 form factor is going to catch on. Holding it up to your ear with the screen on your face, etc.

Plus, since I got my Treo 300, I'm now a keyboard convert. SO much easier to do so many things!

Cheers,

Jim
    Actually I remember reading a review on brigthhand that stated that the the speaker and microphone are on the back of the i700, so the screen isn't touching the user's face. This would solve the smudged oil screen problem AFAIkAFAIkAFAIk...
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Actually I remember reading a review on brighthand that stated that the the speaker and microphone are on the back of the i700, so the screen isn't touching the user's face.
    So is your hand on the screen instead? Not good for the heart of the i700.... that palm oil is high in saturated fat, you know!
    Are we buying these devices as toys to play with until you are bored of it? Geez, and I thought that they were tools. Why be bored with something that does what you want it to do? I will switch to a new phone when Handspring releases its new device(s) later this year.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    Bored is indeed an interesting choice of word. "Boredom comes from within," my Grandma used to say. So don't blame the Treo...
    m00se

Hey Yardie: What happened to that cute mouse? I miss him already...
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Moose the mouse (the Brain) is back.

Originally posted by m00se
    Bored is indeed an interesting choice of word. "Boredom comes from within," my Grandma used to say. So don't blame the Treo...
    m00se

Hey Yardie: What happened to that cute mouse? I miss him already...
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    Originally posted by yardie
    Are we buying these devices as toys to play with until you are bored of it? Geez, and I thought that they were tools. Why be bored with something that does what you want it to do? I will switch to a new phone when Handspring releases its new device(s) later this year.
    I agree bored is not quite the right word. I do find myself yearning for some lebensraum (sp?) on the Treo (memory, expansion slots etc.) that occasionally manifests itself as a bit of technolust on the newer toys (er... I mean tools, Freudian slip).

As much as I love the play aspect of these convergence devices, I am at heart a pragmatist and I have not seen a device that is compelling enough to switch yet. They are all missing one or two bits that make them switchworthy

Tungsten/W seems half baked and only AT&T coverage (shudder)
    Tungsten/C tempting, very tempting but dooms me to two devices and no bluetooth for integration

The Symbian devices...strike me as toys (no flames please, this is an opinion)
    PPC ... too much invested on the Palm end to switch at this point.

Summing it up? The next gen Treo seems to be a logical direction if what we are hearing is true and they can keep the company afloat!
    I hate it when somebody has a cooler
    toy than me...
    Are we buying these devices as toys to play with until you are bored of it? Geez, and I thought that they were tools.
    To each their own.

I use the Treo mainly as an organization/personal life management tool...an extention, so to speak, to other means of managing day-to-day tasks. Playing around with my Treo when I first got it had to do with discovering/understanding this first-of-its-kind integrated device. That said, I can't imagine ever getting bored with my Treo. I can learn to live w/o it, but I'd rather not. The Treo has accomplished in one device many of the things I once had to do with atleast 3 devices. And I'd rather not go back to the latter.
    "Some are born to move the world; to live their fantasies. But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be. Sadder still to watch it die than never to have known it. For you the blind who once could see...the bell tolls for thee." Rush
    Moose the mouse (the Brain) is back.
    ...and he's as cute as ever
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    I'm not bored of the Treo, but I'm definitely ready for the next generation device.

I used the Tungsten C yesterday, and web browsing was actually usable. I'm not talking about download speeds... obviously, with the wi-fi, it was faster, but the rendering was far faster and better as well. With Blazer, on my Treo, it sits there rendering for minutes after the whole page has downloaded, and then doesn't look terribly good anyway.

The Web Browser 2.0 on the Tungsten C was amazing, in comparison.

Any new Palm/phone combo I get has to be PalmOS 5 and have a good web browser. As it is now, I use the data on my Treo for other things, but it's not useful for web browsing to me at all, because it's too slow.
    Last edited by metsfan; 05/13/2003 at 11:19 AM.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    The Sony Clie TG50 with a Sony Ericsson T68i and a bluetooth adapter for my PC is really calling me.

Syncing all 3 with bluetooth. MP3 and video playback on the Clie. The ability to surf within 100 ft of my PC using bluetooth instead of costly GPRS, at least at home. Using the phone to control iTunes etc on the Mac with Salling Clicker over bluetooth. High Res screen, keyboard, expansion......

2 drawbacks: 2 devices and the ugly memory stick instead of SD. Do the advantages/features outweigh these two? Not sure yet, I am almost willing to do it.

If the next Treo has OS 5, high res, SD card and bluetooth I am there. Missing anyone of those and I will forget it. They are coming out too late with something too little.
    Appleman,

And the sony keyboard? How is it compared to the treos?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I've read some good reviews and some ok reviews. I just went to 2 places yesterday to give it a try, but neither had demo models out.

Review
    I get peeved off with Treo sometimes but never bored.

I am pretty bored with my Lego Technic F1 car tho. I mean, I built it - now what?
    www.gsmworld.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast