Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by Felipe
    Appleman,

And the sony keyboard? How is it compared to the treos?
    Personally I think that the TG50's keyboard is awful. I was tempted to get one, but played with the keyboard and hated it. Right now, I reall like my Tungsten T, but without connectivity to a phone, I can't take it anywhere. Maybe when the Sony-Ericsson T608 comes out on Sprint, I'll give the combination a try. (I've got a T68i on my desk, but the coverage with Cingular in my area is quite awful.)
    Originally posted by Appleman
    The Sony Clie TG50 with a Sony Ericsson T68i and a bluetooth adapter for my PC is really calling me.

Syncing all 3 with bluetooth. MP3 and video playback on the Clie. The ability to surf within 100 ft of my PC using bluetooth instead of costly GPRS, at least at home. Using the phone to control iTunes etc on the Mac with Salling Clicker over bluetooth. High Res screen, keyboard, expansion......

2 drawbacks: 2 devices and the ugly memory stick instead of SD. Do the advantages/features outweigh these two? Not sure yet, I am almost willing to do it.

If the next Treo has OS 5, high res, SD card and bluetooth I am there. Missing anyone of those and I will forget it. They are coming out too late with something too little.
    I had my Treo 270 last year until I eventually got too feed up with Handspring/T-Mobile for not releasing a GPRS patch, so I sold it. I spent six months with a Danger Hiptop, and just recently sold that. The combination you listed - TG50 plus T68i is exactly what I'm rolling with right now - and I'm very happy with the pair.

The TG50 is simply an awesome business-class PDA that's not Godzilla sized like the NX/NZ series. The T68i is a good phone ... I'm not overly dazzled by it, but it is extremely capable and has a few nice features I've never had before.

The key to it all is Bluetooth (and having said that, an ample dose of patience). My phone syncs its address book with Outlook via Bluetooth. My palm syncs itself with Outlook via Bluetooth as well. My palm dials my phone via Bluetooth. My palm sends/retrieves SMS messages from my phone. My palm accesses the Internet via my phone whenever it wants to.

I think this is what it comes down to - convergence devices do many things average, and nothing terribly well. Most people (in my opinion) are either "phone" people, or "PDA" people - meaning they use one far more than the other. This combination allows you the best of both - so that you can have good technolgy for what you use most often, and leave the other device in the bag (or your pocket) throughout the rest of the day.

Quite happy with my pair of devices so far!

PS: The keyboard on the TG-50 isn't the greatest, but I can definitely tell you that it loosens up over time, and you do get accustomed to it within a few weeks.
    Toomer
    Originally posted by dtoombs

PS: The keyboard on the TG-50 isn't the greatest, but I can definitely tell you that it loosens up over time, and you do get accustomed to it within a few weeks.
    I also read this somewhere, that it's a little stiff, but does loosen up.

Thanks for the little review, appreciate it. You summed up my opinion very nicely as well. Like you said, to me bluetooh is the key to this combination, and opens up a lot of options.
    I have enjoyed my time with my Treo 180 but my 5th unit just bit the dust. A few days ago I opened the flip to answer a call and the lid just snapped, no dropping, no force applied just snap!. I am now walking around with a tapped up Treo while I await my T68i and getting a Tungsten T this week. With the Bluetooth syncing on my 3 Macs, the phone, and the TT. I feel I will have a package more robust then my Treo alone. I really pampered this last Treo and it still broke. I rarely type on the Treo so a folding keyboard and stylus should meet all my note taking and sms needs. Having used Palm units since the release of the Pilot and can jot as fast as thumb type. Although I will really miss the convergence of the Treo and will need to cancel My TreoMail account. On the plus side Vindigo was too slow on the Treo 180 and really is impressive on the TT.

Edit; Changed Treo 90 to Treo 180 (so sue me, I am tired).
    Last edited by mindhammer; 05/26/2003 at 04:14 PM.
    That's your problem, you were using a Treo 90 to answer the phone. It's doesn't have a phone in it
    That's your problem, you were using a Treo 90 to answer the phone. It's doesn't have a phone in it
    Good catch Appleman! This guy obviously seems to posting a bunch of baloney...
    No Text!
  8.    #28  
    I have been away for a while, had no idea so many people read this post. Here's where I stand now. I bought a Tungsten W and signed on for AT&T service with a voice and data plan. They give you 30 days to cancel, unlike T-Mobile (which, last I cheked was 3 business days!).

The coverage was comparable to T-Mobile in the NY area and the screen on the tungsten is beautiful. Ends up I am going to return it tomorrow. I just can't get by the fact that I might actually have to answer a phone call every once in a while. I figured I could force everyone to use SMS, but why bother.

It's also a LOT larger than the treo, maybe its thinner, but it's just damn bulky, especially to be carrying around on your belt and such. I will take my 270 in to CompUSA this week and see what happens. As of now, the Comp by me has no Treo 270's, so I may be stuck sending the unit back to HS. Do they do advance replacement? That would make my life a lot easier.

I guess I will wait for the new Treo later this year and be happy about it. Right now, I am stuck using my Treo for Palm stuff and my Nokia 5100 for all cell phone stuff. The Nokia is a god send, once you find all the shortcuts, there's nothing I can't do with this phone. I love it and highly recommend it for treo users, especially if you are an outdoorsy type person. I have no fear using it in the rain, tossing it around the car, etc. It's indestructible.
    The Sony Clie TG50 with a Sony Ericsson T68i and a bluetooth adapter for my PC is really calling me.

Syncing all 3 with bluetooth. MP3 and video playback on the Clie. The ability to surf within 100 ft of my PC using bluetooth instead of costly GPRS, at least at home. Using the phone to control iTunes etc on the Mac with Salling Clicker over bluetooth. High Res screen, keyboard, expansion......

2 drawbacks: 2 devices and the ugly memory stick instead of SD. Do the advantages/features outweigh these two? Not sure yet, I am almost willing to do it.

If the next Treo has OS 5, high res, SD card and bluetooth I am there. Missing anyone of those and I will forget it. They are coming out too late with something too little.
    Another drawback with using multiple devices is the lack of having "alway-on" email connectivity! That's a biggies IMHO and BT enabled pda + BT mobile connection is a poor substitute for this functionality. (Its inconvenient imo b/c you have to constantly be sure the devices are correctly paired and within range all the time. Furthermore its just far too complicated for the avg user) Thus in the end, that's the major reason most people got their Treos in the first place anyways right?
    Although I have no first hand experience....yet The devices can be set to automatic, in which automatic polling of email can still happen. Once the devices are paired for the first time, and are trusted, it should work this way. All without having to take the T68i out of your pocket.
    I've gone back and forth on this, and lusted over the various new (fill in the blank models) of Bluetooth-enabled geegaws and new cell phones, but for me, the bottom line is: ONE device. Don't want two. ONE. Granted, the one Treo is a little larger than a cool little SonyEricsson whatever, and sure, I could leave the palm device of choice at home when I head out after hours (which in my life means, to the grocery store at 10:30 to get CapN Crunch for the kids in the morning), and just have the phone, BUT: there have been SO many times when I've grabbed a quick ESPN score, or sent an e-mail while something pops into my head. My point? The features of the Treo (in my case 300, with Sprint) lend themselves to always on usage, always there, that if I left that behind to have a small phone and separate Palm, I know it would bug me to have to have the both of them. And I've been there - I was one of the first Omnisky users (remember them? used the ATTWS CDPD network?) and I had one of the cool Nokia 8860 chrome sliding phones. Three devices - Palm, 8860, modem for the Palm. Wore me out. I know the cool-ness of Bluetooth, but dang it, I just want ONE device. ONE charger. ONE. ONE. ONE.
    Not me ,i love the thing, sometimes it only looks greener on the other side of the fence. one thing i have learned is that this body i live in always wants more, even when it has something very good.
    1. LOVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART, SOUL, MIND, AND STRENGTH. 2. AND LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR AS OUR SELF. (even when it's tough, This is Perfection).
    Is the treo the best phone available? No. Is it the best Palm? No. But is it the best combination of phone and palm? Absolutely.

The thought of carrying around two separate devices hooked to opposite ends of my waist is highly unappealing.

I'm sticking with the Treo.
    I'm always looking around. I guess I'm easily bored. And I'm ashamed to admit that I really haven't even taken full advantage of what my Treo 300 has to offer. I don't think I could go without a thumbboard (or at least stylus-based input), but the Nokia 3650 is just very, very cool (I wrote up some thoughts about it on my web site). The day after I wrote about it, I found out that the guy I'm working with has one in addition to a Danger Hiptop/Sidekick, so I got a chance to play with those a little bit up close, though I'd love to borrow them for a day (I'm not sure if he'd go for that).

Right now, the perfect device doesn't exist right now. I'd love to see someone make the mini-Nokia Communicator style phone I wrote about (and created sketches of) a while back. I'm anxious to see what Handspring comes up with, but I must admit that I'm expecting to be disappointed.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I still like my Treo 270, but some things about it definitely annoy me. Mine has never required replacement, but it often freezes up and won't receive calls even though it's showing two bars. Sometimes it takes a while to get wireless mode turned off when that happens, so I can turn it back on. I guess that's the kind of thing people have gotten theirs replaced over, but I'm not a heavy cellular user, so it's a minor annoyance. Anyway, I like it and wouldn't go back to carrying three devices (I'm down to two, as I still have a BlackBerry). But I might be interested in the next-generation model, if I can finagle my wife into letting me get it...
    I have had my 300 (make that three) since Oct. Then I was carrying a Visor Plat,a cell phone, and a pager. Now I have one device that takes the place of 3 ... this is a no-brainer. I would NEVER give up my 300 ... & I'm not bored with it.
    As far as replacing the phone ... did it 2x with no prob's. First was a battery problem, 2d time I ran over it w/a golf cart ... had a new phone the next day both times (got service credits, too).
    Sprint coverage here (S. FL.) blows ATT and Cingular out of the water - SPCS is just so much better.
    I live on my 300 - I blow thru 2000 minutes/mo & prob at least 50 megs of data/mo. And the PDA keeps me on track. What more could you ask for?
    Is it perfect ... no, I could think of few things, but way better than using more than 1 device. When the 600 comes out, I'll take a look, then decide.
    BTW, when folks see what this does, they are amazed ... when I go back to see them, they have a 300. Happened about a dozen times, think I could get a referral fee? LOL!!!
    More than the sum of its parts. Could definitely be better, but still the best Smartphone there is IMO.

BTW, my Treo advanced in levels of usefulness not too long ago when QuickOffice 7.0 and Snappermail brought me unlimited size attachments with native Office file support, and Win-Hand server became more stable.
    --invention is the mother of necessity
    doh
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

OMG, that smartphone is absolutely amazing! I've also been a pamOs user for years, and a thumbed is very important for me, but the i700 is just so amazing that I might seriously consider switching... [/B]
    Just thinking out loud here...

If you get it, you wouldn't regret it...

I started with a 180 and that was cool but let's face it... the screen ain't happening so I got one of the very first 270's... you remember the ones that had the screens that lasted 3 days? Well we probably shouldn't go there

I finally gave up and bought an 3970 Ipaq and a cheap Kyocera phone and a data cable and frankly was SO MUCH happier than I was with either Treo it wasn't even funny. The keyboard is awesome but for me data entry makes up 5% of the time I use the PDA and VERY simply put, handwriting recognition on the PPC rocks over Graffiti IMHO so it was a no brainier. Yes the keyboard is faster that HR but not enough to turn down the Samsung I700.

I recently moved from the Ipaq to the Samsung and it is no looking back now... this is truly the first device that has gotten convergence right. The reason it is so right is that you don't have to think about it... it isn't like you have a PDA and a phone together in one.... they are just one! Blended very smoothly.

No cables... 1x smokes GPRS and Verizon has better coverage that anyone else in the game. I was luck that the Treo was my first PDA and I hadn't developed brand loyalty yet (like I usually do) and the switch came easy.

There is always the new G1000 from Panasonic if you must have the keyboard but I cannot imagine going back to anything less than this I700, it just plain rocks!

BTW, a great place to check out the I700 is right HERE
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    I've had my treo about six weeks and while it beats the nokia I had (uh ... still have, and carry) with ATT, I'll be replacing it asap. The Red Blink Of Death kills the treo for me - I cant rely on it the way I can the nokia, as a pager that *always* works. My first weekend with the treo was a disaster when, being on-call, I missed a couple of pages because of what I later discovered was RBOD. By that time I was past the 14-day mark and Sprint basically said tough luck (I dont see the point in returning it for another treo ... seems like RBOD is simply a "feature" of the treo). So now I carry the nokia (contract ends in a couple of weeks) and the treo. If the rumored firmware upgrade happens, and it fixes RBOD, I might reconsider, but probably not. I use the treo almost exclusively for data output, not input ... I dont need a keyboard and would rather have the extra screen space. Besides, I'm all thumbs when it comes to the keyboard I got by fine with graffiti for most of a decade. On the other hand, give me the treo's form factor with a 3:2 hi-res screen, no keyboard, a modern OS, and a removable battery and I'll buy it. Until then, much to my chagrin I guess I'll buy just one more MS product and either get an i700 or a t608 and a PPC w/bluetooth ... or maybe skip MS altogether and get a Zaurus 5500 (go linux!). At least the treo was almost free via retention (pitted att and sprint against each other ... sprint won

Mark
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast