1.    #1  
    http://netscape.com.com/2100-1103_2-999990.html?type=pt

He drops a few hints about the new Treo:

1. Keyboard absolutely.
    2. No Bluetooth (Because he doesn't know what you use that for. Amazing! Some body should give him a BT headset, so he would know.)
    3. No Wi-fi.
    Yeah, I read this earlier and was just about to post about it. He doesn't reveal much of anything but you can make a few guesses based on what he sounds excited about. He totally skirts the question of a built-in camera but I can't help but wonder if it wasn't intentional and that a camera may, in fact, be there. Same could even be said for Bluetooth.

Prior articles led me to believe that the device could be smaller and I feared that this could mean a smaller thumbboard (which, IMO, is too small as it is). I had hoped that he might go with a landscape design for the next model thus actually increasing the size of the thumbboard while still being able to make the device (when closed) smaller than the current one, but in this interview when he talks about the thumbboard he gets very secretive yet it sounds like it may actually be smaller than the current model. I don't care what shape and color he makes the keys, I can't imagine that there's any way that a smaller thumbboard can be usable. I have to admit I'm jealous of the Danger hiptop/sidekick's roomy thumbboard.

Scott
    Thanks for the link. Good post. I'm sorry to hear that streaming audio and video aren't in the Treo's near future.

It is interesting to hear that Hawkins doesn't like the the pda market because it is becoming commoditized, yet also talks about a Treo-like device costing only $99 within 2-4 years. That sounds like commoditization to me, too. I guess he sees the communicator market as a much larger commoditized market....large enough for Handspring to make a buck in. Or maybe Handspring will be on to the next great thing by then!?
    Originally posted by mcyang
    2. No Bluetooth (Because he doesn't know what you use that for. Amazing! Some body should give him a BT headset, so he would know.)
    While I don't think the new Treo will have Bluetooth, I don't know how you figured it would not have it based on Jeff's response.

I've been cautious about Bluetooth for many years, because I ask myself what a user would do with it.

He is just saying that for many years, in which bluetooth has been around for many years, he didn't understand a need for it. Now could be a completely different story.
    Originally posted by Appleman

While I don't think the new Treo will have Bluetooth, I don't know how you figured it would not have it based on Jeff's response.

I've been cautious about Bluetooth for many years, because I ask myself what a user would do with it.

He is just saying that for many years, in which bluetooth has been around for many years, he didn't understand a need for it. Now could be a completely different story.
    Much like he was talking about IR.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by Appleman

Based on the way he described, I'll be very surprised to see BT on the new Treo. Of course, I hope that I'm wrong. I happen to believe that BT is a very important feature for the next generation phone. The BT headset, wireless hotsync with Desktop and other BT devices, and printing, etc. are indispensable functions in our daily usage of pda phone. Any guy with vision should have seen these things.
    jeff spoke but really said nothing.....
    Originally posted by Scott R
    Yeah, I read this earlier and was just about to post about it. He doesn't reveal much of anything but you can make a few guesses based on what he sounds excited about. He totally skirts the question of a built-in camera but I can't help but wonder if it wasn't intentional and that a camera may, in fact, be there. Same could even be said for Bluetooth.
    He was playing his cards very close to the vest but his comments about IR were very illuminating. His comments about not knowing what people would do with it combined with his bragging about putting IR on the map implies that he might have thought up some sort of killer Bluetooth app that he has been keeping mum about. I think that Bluetooth will be in the next Treo and that they might even have some Bluetooth accesories available for it.

This is pure speculation on my but if the next Treo is smaller, it might happen by making the device slightly longer and making the keys curve upward at a steeper angle.

Either way, I want more memory and/or an SD slot on the next Treo or no deal!
    the interview made it clear. no chance for pure graffiti communicators :-((. i'll hang on to my 180g for as long as i can no matter how super the new treo might be.
    W.r.t. feature and form-factor - here's an example of a "full keyboard" yet a small phone:

-- http://www.nokia.com/madaboutwriting/main.html

It's undoubtedly patented.

Hawkins mentioned high-speed - I alluded to that in some other post somewhere around here by noting that there is a contract addendum to a financial document out of Handspring that mentions radio modules, due dates for delivery, etc with names that imply high speed, plus Verizon recently ran a high-speed test in the Washington D.C. area.

Hawkins said not for a year or so, however.
    One thing that I always thought would be a cool (if sparsely selling) BT accessory is a wristwatch. Not a wholly contained PDA, but just a display. So you can see what appointment is about to come up, who is calling, etc.
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    One thing that I always thought would be a cool (if sparsely selling) BT accessory is a wristwatch. Not a wholly contained PDA, but just a display. So you can see what appointment is about to come up, who is calling, etc.
    Samsung's new wrist watch phone supports BT. So you could use that to sync with any BT pda (Sony Clie PEG-NZ90, for instance) to fulfill all your needs. They make a 'dream team'.

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3338.html

http://sonyelectronics.sonystyle.com/micros/clie/
    Originally posted by mcyang

Samsung's new wrist watch phone supports BT. So you could use that to sync with any BT pda (Sony Clie PEG-NZ90, for instance) to fulfill all your needs. They make a 'dream team'.

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3338.html

http://sonyelectronics.sonystyle.com/micros/clie/
    Not exactly what I was thinking of. That is more of a full-blown device. What I envision is similar to the "dummy terminals" of yore, it would just display stuff, and maybe have two input buttons (ignore and accept). It would look just like a normal watch. No need for lotso memory or a big (arg! color?!?!) display. What I envision looks like a watch as much as possible. Kinda like those funky MS watches that going to be coming out, but instead of taking in info from FM, they are a dumb output device for a PDA.
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Not exactly what I was thinking of. That is more of a full-blown device. What I envision is similar to the "dummy terminals" of yore, it would just display stuff, and maybe have two input buttons (ignore and accept). It would look just like a normal watch.
    In that case, you still need to have a full blown Communicator. That is fine. But the problem is that users have to wait and wait forever for some models which eventually will meet their needs. Just like the new Treo. Say it indeed ships on schedule in the fall. Then you may have to live with whatever the features HS put together. Are you going to be happy with the rumored 160x160 screen? Of course, not. So you keep on searching. But if you separate the phone and PDA out and sync them via BT, you will be in the driver's seat. You can pick and choose any combination you want at anytime. I like the wrist watch phone and the PEG-NZ90 combination. Becuase although you have two devices, you actually only have one. You are going to wear the watch anyway and the BT PDA is the only pocket device.