Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am guessing that anyone who would answer yes to this question is most likely not reading these boards anymore, but here goes...

Anyone switch from the all-in-one device back to two?

I have been using my Treo for almost a year now, but find that I am wanting more that my one device just cannot deliver anymore. It has been great carrying around just one gadget, but I feel like I am missing out on all the new developments taking place in both the cell phone world and PDA world.

Maybe I am just frustrated that Handspring has taken so long to release another device with improvements. Maybe I am frustrated that T-Mobile's GPRS plans for the Treo are horrible.

Anyone else feeling this too?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I tried one of my mates p800 and to say im jealous in an understatment, lol.

I dont know if i liked that specific phone but the features are great, mp3 player and even a camera, a lousy one that is.

A palm os5 phone would suit me better i guess, didnt like that narrow screen on the p800.
    More small bluetooth phones and pdas (the T|T is the only one I know of right now) are going to be required before I ever look at going to two.
    I've made the switch from one device back to two. I sold my Treo 270 last fall (after getting impatient with the lack of GPRS support) to try out the Danger Hiptop. A good device - but it's clearly a v1.0 product. After it became clear that Outlook synchronization wasn't coming anytime soon, I decided it was time to migrate to something else (it will soon be up on eBay).

Having one (very large) device - whether the Treo 270 or Hiptop - was getting a bit tiring, so I decided I wanted to go with something small that had bluetooth. But - for a PDA, I simply had to have a keyboard ... I could never go back to graffitti.

Then, I stumbled across it by accident in Best Buy one day - the Sony Clie PEG-TG50. It supports Memory Stick (which I have plenty of due to my camera being a Sony), it's OS 5.0, it's hi-res, it has a keyboard, it has an integrated flip cover, and it's got integrated Bluetooth. I bought it on the spot to take it home and play with it. Having lived in 3.5.x land for so long, I must say the move to 320x320 and OS 5 is dramatic!!

So, needing a Bluetooth phone, I found a T68i on eBay for about $200 (including a Jabra bluetooth headset). Once I got the T68i, I paired them up, and then taught the Clie how to use the T68i for Internet access. It's a pain in the ***, but make no mistake - it's awesome. Going to bed at night, my T68i is usually across the room in its charger, but I can tap away on my Clie and send and receive emails just like I was connected to the Internet through the Bluetooth connection. Very cool.

Being able to sync with Outlook again has been a godsend (how did I live without it for so long) - but you might be wondering about the phone itself? Here's what I've done.

First off - the Clie can dial the phone via Bluetooth. So I loaded Contacts Pro (nice FingerDial/TAKEphONE style app that supports Bluetooth) so I can simply tap out a number on the Clie and it dials on the phone.

But what's really cool, is keeping the T68i and the Clie in sync with Outlook! The T68i comes with programs to sync your Outlook contacts with the phone. Since the Clie already syncs with outlook, I've got a perfect 3-way sync solution! If I change an address or phone number in my Clie, it's automatically updated with my T68i!! It's an awesome capability!!

So ... I'm on two devices. I never thought I would be again - but so far I am liking it quite a bit! And of course, the ability to play videos, MP3s, record voice memos, etc. etc. is just icing on the cake.....
    Toomer
    That sounds like a very cool setup. What data plan do you use? And what carrier.
  6.    #6  
    dtoombs - very cool indeed

When the whole bluetooth craze first hit, I was using my T39 connecting to my iPAQ 3670. It was a frustrating practice because of my service with T-Mobile.

I am back to considering the 2-device approach. My thoughts are on the NX70V (just love the looks and options) along with a tiny phone that includes the following (voice recorder, integrated camera, decent office suite for calendar & to do's).

I am not too concerned about connecting my PDA to my cellphone. I personally think that the system to do so right now is way too frustrating, costly and not developed enough.
    If I could get a "respectable" bluetooth phone from Sprint, I would switch to two devices in a flash. While I love my Treo300, it is obviously getting "long in the tooth" from a technological perspective. I tend to use the PDA functions more than the phone and would love to get a Clie NZ but I am not about to change carriers. Hopefully, there will be in incursion of bluetooth capable phones in the Sprint lineup before too long (something more than the upcoming T-608).
    Only one gizmo for me: The Treo 270. It is the best PDA/phone combo. Period.
    If I need a tiny phone, I just grab the SIM card from the Treo and put in my itty-bitty phone. But 95% of the times it is the Treo.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    More small bluetooth phones and pdas (the T|T is the only one I know of right now) are going to be required before I ever look at going to two.
    Nevermind.
    (guilty pause) My name is Jeff Mac and I am a PDA-aholic.

Brief PDA history.. Workpad, Visor Deluxe, Visor Platinum w/Omnisky
    and in an attempt to converge I bought the Soviet Army Brick ( Kyo 6035)

Data access was pitiful and the goal was always to have real access to our Web based sales and purchasing database. I bought a Treo 300 the day that Sprint rolled out their 3g network on the promise of all that throughput. I didn't kill off my 6035 (Verizon) to keep the number and to cover my bases.

Biggest hassles have been battery life and coverage in the Banjo haunted/Deliverance areas of my territory.

I love the the Treo and think it is a wonderful device (it is the only thing I carry when I am not working) but I carry a Sanyo 5300 (decent phone but the camera is still pretty much a toy) for Trimode support, swappable batteries and so I can hit our site and talk on the phone at the same time. When I am cooling my heels in a clients place, I can get a LOT done with this combo.

As much as I love the Treo, I dont think I could slim down to just it...as much as I would love to. Battery life and analog roaming are big downsides.
    I hate it when somebody has a cooler
    toy than me...
    If I were to go back to a two device setup, I would choose the SE T608 from SprintPCS and the rumored "NX70vX" clie that supposedly has integrated BT and a 1.3 MP camera. That would a very poweful combo indeed,

However, if HS comes out with an OS 5 treo as rumored by this fall with all the bell and whistles (i.e BT, SDIO, 320x320 tranflective screen, camera etc), then I will happy snap up the new treo b/c it will offer all the high end pda features that many of us crave! I also hope its a trimode phone too!
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    snip...
    (i.e BT, SDIO, 320x320 tranflective screen, camera etc), then I will happy snap up the new treo b/c it will offer all the high end pda features that many of us crave! I also hope its a trimode phone too!
    In addition to Trimode and the others on your list, one other thing I hope for is a regular 2.5mm earphone jack.... Or bluetooth so I can get the Jabra. But lets not forget other regular phone nicties like removable batteries. If we could get the same battery life that is found in the T|W (somewhere like 10 hours continuous talk and 2 weeks standby-- that's nuts!) I would post up outside of Handspring's HQ and bribe every truck coming out the place.
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    That sounds like a very cool setup. What data plan do you use? And what carrier.
    I'm using T-Mobile (I'm convinced the whole world will eventually end up GSM), and - believe it or not - I'm using CSD!!

Switching the whole configuration over to GPRS would simply be a matter of plinking a few keys on the phone to change the data profile. But after carefully measuring the costs I'd be paying (by logging data transfers from my mail server to my PDA via CSD over several days of testing) I've decided I can hold off on GPRS for now until the prices get a bit better. Too bad Sprint doesn't offer a Bluetooth phone, eh?

(Actually, that's another reason I love GSM - I don't like my carrier choosing which phones I'm allowed to use)

The other wonderful feature is the Bluetooth headset. To be honest, I thought it was just going to be a "Eh, yeah - it's ok" kind of thing, but I'm finding out that it's unbelievably useful!! With voicedial programmed on the T68i, I can literally do all of my typical commuting calls without ever touching my phone! Actually, my T68i spends the better part of the day in my pocket, and the Jabra and Clie just grab it as needed......

It'll be interesting to see what Handspring comes up with for their next device. After finally having hi-res, OS5, memory, MP3s, and a transflective screen, I can tell you without a doubt that I couldn't ever go back....
    Toomer
    Is 10 hours talk a real world figure or marketing hype on the t/w? *eyes rolling back in head*

THAT would just about cover it.

Still I love the HS.

Starrwulfe, if HS matches that talk time I will split the rental on an RV with you and we can take turns offering the truck drivers copious quantities of $!!
    I hate it when somebody has a cooler
    toy than me...
    Originally posted by lynch
    I am back to considering the 2-device approach. My thoughts are on the NX70V (just love the looks and options) along with a tiny phone that includes the following (voice recorder, integrated camera, decent office suite for calendar & to do's).

I am not too concerned about connecting my PDA to my cellphone. I personally think that the system to do so right now is way too frustrating, costly and not developed enough.
    I agree ... it is a bit frustrating at first. But once you get through all of the initial configuration headaches, I've found that it's basically painless.

The NX series is a nice unit - just a bit big for my tastes. I don't know if those have an integrated voice recorder or not - so you may not need that on the phone. My TG has a voice recorder, which I'm finding extremely handy for getting thoughts out of my head while I'm driving.

Voice dial, on the other hand, is key - especially if you want to use a Bluetooth headset.

Good luck!
    Toomer
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    The only PDA that would have replaced my Treo 270 for a 2-device solution, was never built. That would have been a Treo 90 with jog dial, keyboard backlight, and either an integral bluetooth transceiver or a second SD slot that could be used for a bluetooth SD card - essentially, this would have been a low-cost version of the Palm Tungsten T in a Treo form factor.
    I looked at the Sony PEG-TG50 and was impressed until I tried the keyboard -- it seems to have been designed by someone who never actually used a thumbboard! (Or, who was trying very, very hard to avoid paying licence fees to Research In Motion for their keyboard patent...)
    - Only the punctuation marks accessible with the shift key are visible with the backlight, and the rest are almost impossible to read even in decent lighting conditions; they're printed quite minutely on the case next to the keys.
    - It lacks shift-lock and option-key-lock ability (what were they thinking?!)
    - The keys lack the tactile feedback and convenient placement of the ones on Handspring devices.

So, I use the 270 and am happy.
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
  17.    #17  
    I wish Handspring would hurry the hell up with this new model that supposed to blow us out of the water. They certainly have had enough time to work on the thing it better blow our minds.

I can't imagine how shockingly different their next model is going to be, but I really hope they can live up to the hype. That is the only thing that could keep me on the 2-in-1 device. I am a little worried though from something I read - Handspring says it is going to resemble more of a phone than PDA. I really hope that does not mean they are moving away from the thumb keyboard.
    Originally posted by Rusty J
    I looked at the Sony PEG-TG50 and was impressed until I tried the keyboard -- it seems to have been designed by someone who never actually used a thumbboard! (Or, who was trying very, very hard to avoid paying licence fees to Research In Motion for their keyboard patent...)
    - Only the punctuation marks accessible with the shift key are visible with the backlight, and the rest are almost impossible to read even in decent lighting conditions; they're printed quite minutely on the case next to the keys.
    - It lacks shift-lock and option-key-lock ability (what were they thinking?!)
    - The keys lack the tactile feedback and convenient placement of the ones on Handspring devices.
    I admit - I'm a bit underwhelmed by the keyboard - but I thought the same thing about the SideKick after coming off the Treo. Turns out, it just takes some getting used to.

Specifically--

1) You're right about the punctuation marks and special characters - they were obviously smoking crack when they were figuring out how do to it.

2) Shift-lock/option lock - it is there in the base build. Hold one of the color keys (orange or blue), then press shift-lock.

Optionally, a small freeware called OKey will make the key lock itself when pressed.

3) The tactile response gets better with time (or else I've just gotten used to it). Several folks have reported on ClieSource that the keyboard is extremely stiff at first and then loosens up after a short while. I'm finding this to be true.

I've found that the ability to carry around 512mb of memory (on MSPRO), integrated Bluetooth, OS5, MP3, videos, hi-res, etc. etc. all makes these few items easily tolerable.
    Toomer
    Ladies and Gentlemen, whether you care or not, I must tell you that, as of today, I am done with Handspring. I'd like to give you a little background. I was one of the first people in N. Texas to own: 1. a Visor Deluxe 2. a Visor Prism 3. a Treo 180 and 4. a Treo 270. I never had any problems with my Visors and thusly fell in love with the litte company that could. I was very excited when I first heard about the Treo. I even drove an hour do see a HS sales rep. demo it about a week before it came out. I was on the website ordering the Treo 180 the second I was able. I did the exact same thing with the 270 (and I'm not usually an early adopter). What I have left out, however, is the fact that I have sent in my Treos 8 times for replacement. While I feel HS had the form basically right, it seems like they didn't care the least about function. Now I know that, in theory, the Treo is supposed to be extremely functional but that's the problem. It's only a theory. In reality, a device with must be returned every other month is basically useless. I now have vented and plan to sell my 9th replacement Treo on ebay and score myself the Sony Double Play as described earlier in this thread. So long Handspring, may you one day learn from the sins of you past!
    Why in the world are you posting this in this thread? Probably just as well you won't be frequenting this forum any longer. Have a great life!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast