1.    #1  
    My boss has a Kyocera 7135, and while I like my new Treo 300 (woot $150!) better, one little thing bugs me. He can easily set up his device to play a sound when his phone is opened or closed. Although I almost always have my sound turned off on my Treo, I think it's kinda neat to be able to, say, make the phone sound like one of those Star Trek communicators when you open them (on the Kyocera, I beleive that's a dead ringer with the "Dolphin" sound).

Is there any preference category that I'm overlooking, or is there a hack that would let me do something like this? I know that you can set the Treo to play any sound upon lid opening, but I'm not familiar with any program whose sole function is to play a single sound then exit. Besides, I'd prefer to still have it go to MaTreo or the phone book when it opens. And there's no option that I can see for controlling anything when the lid closes, is there?

Thanks,
    -JC
  2.    #2  
    http://www.ecamm.com/palm/techsounds

Hmmm, that seems somewhat better. Dangit, though, I can't *quite* find a sound identical to that groovy Dolphin one on the Kyocera, but this shows promise.

And I like the coffee cup that now pops up when I turn on the device. ^_^
    With techsounds, you can't receive SMS messages.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=33008
    Originally posted by John Cholewa
    I know that you can set the Treo to play any sound upon lid opening, but I'm not familiar with any program whose sole function is to play a single sound then exit.
    There is native support for playing a ringtone when the lid is opened, but not closed. Though I'm unaware of any utility which sets the system preference for it. I'll try to add it in the next TreoHelper release.

Edited.. blech, I don't like the built-in feature. I'm just going to do it via the NotifyMgr. I'll make one for lid-open and one for lid-closed.
    Last edited by potatoho; 04/24/2003 at 06:31 PM.
    I just installed that 8bit audio driver for palm os.

http://www.shin.nu/~FocV/javu/

When I open the lid up, it makes a little startup chime like windows. I don't think it does it's shutdown chime when I lower the lid (only when I press the powerbutton). So, technically I guess you could do it (you'd be changing the startup and shutdown sounds).

BTW,

I am trying to get a MSN type chime for SMS. I converted the wav and have it on the palm (it sounds pretty good for a piece of crap speaker/crystal/whatever). So, I have ringo (thinking I could convert this SYSTEM SOUND into a ringer/sms sounds... NOGO. Anyone know if you can convert system sounds to the ringer list? Is it just because I have a shareware version of Ringo? Is it possible?

Best Regards,
    Bill
    There was a mention of 'native' support for a ring tone when the lid opens. I have a 180 and can't find the path to make this trick work.

Little help? Thanks!

-G
    Impatience makes you UGLY.
    Originally posted by ggibby
    There was a mention of 'native' support for a ring tone when the lid opens. I have a 180 and can't find the path to make this trick work.

Little help? Thanks!
    There is a Handspring feature (a programmable variable) called hsFtrIDToneOnLidOpen. I was going to use it but it's kinda lame because you would set it to a 'smfr' dbid and it always uses resource id 1 as the tone.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$ $is$ $no$ $available$ $application$ $which$ $allows$ $hsFtrIDToneOnLidOpen$ $to$ $be$ $set$, $so$ $someone$ $would$ $have$ $to$ $write$ $a$ $program$ $to$ $let$ $the$ $user$ $set$ $it$. $I$ $refer$ $to$ $it$ $as$ $native$ $support$ $since$ $all$ $you$'$d$ $have$ $to$ $do$ $is$ $set$ $it$ $properly$ $and$ $the$ $OS$ $should$ $take$ $care$ $of$ $it$. $Unfortunately$ $it$ $seems$ $to$ $be$ $kinda$ $lame$ $because$ $of$ $the$ $implementation$ $I$ $described$ $above$.

Instead, I chose to use the notifymgr to implement a sleep/wake tone via the Fun category. The only thing flaky was determining when the device was powered on via the lid. There is no simple way, as there is with determining sleep reason, so I had to dequeue some keyevents and look for hsChrLidStatusChg. Yuck. But if it causes problems you can always disable the option. Frankly, apparently because of my "Fun" lid-open sound implementation, every once in awhile I notice that using the power button will make my device turn on/off really quick. Seems pretty harmless though.

http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/treohelper.html

Oh yeah, almost forgot, BETA code, may crash your device etc etc. Make backups. Report bugs. Thanks.
    potatoho-

Yow! Thanks! I was getting expecially pretzelled reading along, wondering if a non-coder could make your magic spell go *spting!* and then you link to your new little beta app! Yayclapclap!

Downloaded and soon to be reporting no errors at-all!

Thanks mooch!
    -G
    Hey Ya'll-

I found the communicator WAV sound at

http://www.stinsv.com/TOS/compa.htm#Sound

and have seen the discussions about WAV to MIDI, and a little about WAV to PDB (don't understand that one), but still unclear. I'm not comfortable with hack-type apps, from experiences back in Visor days. That, and little info on the available sounds.

I do like TreoHelper, but got it for the Trek chirping, which I can't find. It seems like it would be very clear in MIDI. Wassup?

-G
    Last edited by ggibby; 05/14/2003 at 06:28 PM.
    Originally posted by thppfft
    With techsounds, you can't receive SMS messages.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=33008
    Hmmmm... maybe with a Sprint Treo but Techsounds works great for me...
    www.gsmworld.com
    So I've downloaded the TechSounds program and really like it. Does anybody know where I can get the Star Trek communicator sound to use with it?

Oooops.... I just saw it in this thread. Sorry
    Last edited by riverbruce; 05/14/2003 at 08:42 AM.
    Up the Creek.... Try the River!
    www.riverontheweb.com

Moblog: bluefrog.textamerica.com
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by wfready
    [B]I just installed that 8bit audio driver for palm os.

http://www.shin.nu/~FocV/javu/

When I open the lid up, it makes a little startup chime like windows. I don't think it does it's shutdown chime when I lower the lid (only when I press the powerbutton). So, technically I guess you could do it (you'd be changing the startup and shutdown sounds).

Just an FYI for anyone who installs this....I tried it on mine and it worked fine, however I noticed that the lid open sounds are not elimimated when the phone speaker switch is turned off. Not a big deal, but if you're in a situation where you don't want to make any sounds and have to open the lid....woops!