1.    #1  
    http://commerce.motorola.com/consumer/QWhtml/388c.html

This seems to be what the average Joe wants? How is data endtered? Plug in keyboard or something like JOT? I like the Phone/PDA or even the PDA first and phone second, however it looks like Phone first PDA second is the trend. If that's the case, it seems that that is alreay out. Between the want a be PDA functions on some cell phones now and stuff that can be addes as features (like the SPrintPCS area were you can have a calander and contacts and be alerted and sucH)

What are some views? I like my Treo...looking forward to see the next offering that HS has as far as Treos.

Just thinking outloud, Matt Burkhard

You know, one guy always makes fun of my treo sizes. But I am not carring a phone on one side, PDA on the other and a pager anymore. Take the smallest off all three and glue them togather (like someting you would see on MAD TV) and it would drawf the treo IMO. So then he has the little phone that he is bragging about that can surf and get calls and such, as well as email.Then he pulls out the little plastic case with a thumb QWERTY board and plus it into the bottom to use it....I am thininkg..is this guy for real....mine is big....I don't have to carry two things and have a scab on Thumb board that I oculd loose...what ever.
    Sorry for thre rant.....
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I think the trend for handsets is really set by the carriers. Take the Ericsson T39m. It is a nice, small, B&W phone, some pda functions, WAP, GPRS, Bluetooth (it works well as a companion to any Bluetooth enabled Palm) Sales were dismal in the US because no GSM carrier chose to back it. The Treo sales struggle because it took T-Mobile almost a year to decide to support the Treo 270, and by that time, the Treo 180 was off shelves. Yet for messaging and pda stuff outdoors, the Treo 180 is a better choice because you can read the screen in bright daylight. (Ever try to send an SMS from the top of the Alps using a color device? Heh, you can't read a thing!) Let's hope carriers embrace technology and fully support the next Treo design! (Which better have Bluetooth and an SDIO slot!!)
  3.    #3  
    well put/said. let's hope
    Originally posted by z3bum
    (Ever try to send an SMS from the top of the Alps using a color device? Heh, you can't read a thing!) Let's hope carriers embrace technology and fully support the next Treo design! (Which better have Bluetooth and an SDIO slot!!)
    I knew coverage in Europe was good, but can you really get coverage in the mountains?
    I've always felt the same way about the camera--why is it necessary for one to seemingly be on ALL new models?--but I realize that I'm in the minority on this one. I just don't want the addition of a camera, which seems inevitable, to make the Treo any bigger.

Happy Easter.
    Why is this hte trend?
    http://commerce.motorola.com/consumer/QWhtml/388c.html

This seems to be what the average Joe wants? How is data endtered? Plug in keyboard or something like JOT? I like the Phone/PDA or even the PDA first and phone second, however it looks like Phone first PDA second is the trend. If that's the case, it seems that that is alreay out. Between the want a be PDA functions on some cell phones now and stuff that can be addes as features (like the SPrintPCS
    Actually from the rumors I've heard, the new Treo will look more like the Motorola A760 with QERWTY keypad. I think that would be very cool device indeed. Here are soem pics of the A760, just try to imagine a Treo in that form factor...

http://www.bargainpda.com/assets/803.jpg
    http://www.bargainpda.com/assets/805.gif
    http://www.bargainpda.com/assets/804.gif

Anyway getting back to the original question... I think you have to realize that there are many different requirements for wireless devices. Are you looking for a data-centric or phone-centric device? I agree the Treo is the best combination for its features and that these features far out-weighs its bulkiness when compared to other "non-smartphones". Making it any smaller would make the screen and keypad totally unsuable. But it also must be recognized that for a vast number of consumers out there, the Treo, 7135, XDA etc are still too big and bulky for their every day uses. There is a large market for more phone-centric devices with-out keyboards primarily for people who have become accustomed to tiny candy bar mobiles. Also often it is as much about fashion and design as it is about functionality IMHO.

This this the primary reason why GSL are developing the Zircon and Onyx PalmOS smartphones. The Zircon is absolutely tiny!! Its going to appeal to alot of people who would like the functionality of a PalmOS smartphone but never considered a Treo b/c of its size....
    Last edited by Gaurav; 04/19/2003 at 01:45 PM.
    Good points z3bum and gfunkmagic. I think you both prove my own little point that this issue is the classic "the chicken vs. the egg" thing: The-carrieirs-want-what-the-consumers-want-what-the-carriers-want... I suppose that's how technology evolves. I trust that HS is as innovative and creative as it was with the first Treo, and that we -- the consumers -- are going to love their new product. After all, that's what the consumers want. Or is it what the carriers want?
    m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    I noticed this uses Starfish software. The theory behind the old starfish devices was very, very limited data input. You use the device to carry information with you. There is a market for this kind of device, but it really does limit the interactive functionality...that is unless someone starts writing a PQA type of engine for those things.

Which brings me to another subject...why do people want to surf the web on a phone...or a treo for that matter? One of the best ideas Palm ever had was the PQA and it seems to be dying. Grabbing meaningful data is much nicer than having to plod through several web pages to get to the same item. Obviously, there are times when you need something from a page, but...

...ken
    I think the carriers are pushing cameras into the phones for one main reason: it gets the users to send and receive a lot more data, resulting in bigger wireless "phone" bills.
    Which brings me to another subject...why do people want to surf the web on a phone...or a treo for that matter? One of the best ideas Palm ever had was the PQA and it seems to be dying. Grabbing meaningful data is much nicer than having to plod through several web pages to get to the same item. Obviously, there are times when you need something from a page, but...
    Well I also think it has to do with bandwidth. Web clippings were designed to work on the low bandwidth mobitex network used by the VII and i705. It was the best wireless soluiton at time even though it was basically just a wireless paging technology. PQA's made sense at the time b/c of the lack of bandwidth and b/c they allowed quick and efficient retrieval of data. The problem is that wireless technoogy has evolved with the advent of 3G providers which can provide richer and more sofisticated services. Also, it should be noted that Cingular no longer offers unlimited data plans for its mobitex service. Thus PQA's are yesterday's technology, although I agree there are some very useful applications for it (which I use regularly like DA). Hopefully as long as there is a sufficient number of i705 users and Mobiltex remain profitable, companies will maitain their PQA servers...
    I agree in part...the connectivity is faster...but the size of the screen really hasn't changed...and in the case of the Palm until OS 5 and the StrongArm...it's basically the same processor speed they launched with. Rendering web pages on a Palm is just painful.

I hope that PQAs stay around or developers begin to understand what their customers are really doing on their mobile devices (Microsoft and Pocket PC could learn this too!). I would venture to guess that very, very, very few people would choose a PDA for the web surfing...and that most find it a painful way to retrieve information.

When I ran PDAMart we used to have regular meetings with the PocketPC team (Palm wanted nothing to do with Web Resellers) and some other folks. One of our mantras was...a PDA is not a PC, a PDA is not a PC.

Apple actually came very close with the last Newton...still a pretty slick device even measured against some of the best modern PDA/communication devices

Palm did a nice job of making it simple...all the way through the Palm VII stuff. Have they really done much since?

Microsoft just jams Windows into a box and gets the hardware guys to build machines that can almost run it well. Although, I have a feeling they realize that Windows is going to work better on the Tablet.

Symbian...is this the Linux for the pocket set? A nice OS that just seems to be on the outskirts of town...never quite getting acceptance from the mainstream guys (I know it's in some phones now).

Oh well, I'm babbling and have taken this thread off topic. Just got frustrated trying to pull my ESPN fantasy team up on my 3 Palm browsers for over an hour with no real success.

...ken
    If the next Treo looks anything like the Motorola A760 linked above then count me in! Actually I saw the pix of the A760 before and thought is was the next Treo until I read the caption. Also I was thinking one way to make it smaller would be to have the keyboard slide out a la the Sharp Zarus 5600! This would be tre cool! Have it spring loaded like that 1st Matrix phone just for extra kool points... As for the camera Ill take it. Its not a nessecity but I've been out and wished I had my camera enough to want a camera built in. But I must have the keyboard, SDIO, replaceable battery.... Why not use the same battery thats in the Tungsten W that gives up to 10 hours talk time? Add Palm OS 5.2 with 128MB onboard memory... That's doable now right? And I for one constantly surf on my treo. Its actually doing well as a laptop replacement for me now that I have Quickoffice installed...
    Last edited by starrwulfe; 04/21/2003 at 04:42 PM.
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!