1.    #1  
    Or is it my 6th? I lost count.

Anyway, my last replacement Treo died the day before yesterday.
    This time, it is the speaker that let me down. I could use my Treo 270 only with the headset! But I had enough!
    I really learned to like the Treo. But it is definitively a highly unreliable device.

So I started to look around for a new PDA/phone.

For me a keyboard was a must-have.
    Therefore I considered sometime the Tungsten W, but because it is not bluetooth-enabled out-of-the box and it doesnít have a built-in speaker, that was a no-go, considering the high street price.
    Palmí Tungsten W being the only viable device with a keyboard today on the market, I looked around at other devices without a keyboard.

After trying all that I could find, I eventually settled for the Sony Ericsson P800.

Whoa!
    What a beautiful jewel. And the handwriting recognition is a marvel!
    Who needs a keyboard, when you get to close to 100% accuracy at normal handwriting speed?

The only downside is that there are not yet as many apps available as with Palm or the Pocket PC OSs.
    But they are coming.

You also should try the Symbian OS and be amazed by its speed and responsivenessÖ and Iím not saying anything about the quality of the screen: even under the brighter sun at 12noon, you can read it!

You understood it: Iím impressed.

Nevertheless, Iím still waiting for the next Treo version.
    I liked my 270 (even if Iím fed up with its unreliability and the poor quality of the screen) and I want to believe that all the current issues will be fixed and it will be as good as, not to say better, Sony Ericsson P800 and the likeÖ

So long Treo. See you soon!
    See you soon...we're gonna miss ya
    m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
  3.    #3  
    Thank you m00se.
    I'll be around.
    See you soon...
    I dunno how much it is worth to you but I could sur use it for parts. Maybe you could sell it on ebay or sell it to me?
    my email is lleung1673@aol.com.

Thanks either way!
    I too considered the P-800, but there are too many minor 'problems' w/c eventually overwhelmed my desire to buy it.
    1) speakers at the back. can hardly hear it sometimes.
    2) too 'plastic' feel, not sturdy, seems so fragile.
    3) use the costly and undercapacity memory stick duo.
    4) the camera picture quality is REALLY bad. worst than the nokia 7650.
    5) relatively higher price tag.
    6) very few softwares.
    otherwise, its a very good phone w/ all bells and whistles, and the handwriting/speech software is the best yet in any smartphone.
    Well I'm about to receive Treo #3. The first replacement was after the GPRS upgrade...couldn't do it. Now the vibrate feature has stopped working. Anyone seen that before? In a way, I'm glad, cause the synch plug wiggle is starting to drive me crazy. I suspect I would have needed a replacement over that shortly anyway....
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by Japorms
    I too considered the P-800, but there are too many minor 'problems' w/c eventually overwhelmed my desire to buy it.
    1) speakers at the back. can hardly hear it sometimes.
    2) too 'plastic' feel, not sturdy, seems so fragile.
    3) use the costly and undercapacity memory stick duo.
    4) the camera picture quality is REALLY bad. worst than the nokia 7650.
    5) relatively higher price tag.
    6) very few softwares.
    otherwise, its a very good phone w/ all bells and whistles, and the handwriting/speech software is the best yet in any smartphone.
    Well, as explained before, the P800 was the only viable solution to replace in a very short time my Treo 270.
    Let me answer your points:
    1) Actually, I found the speakers much too powerful. Especially when it gets to ringtones, even at its almost lower setting.
    When making a phone call, I usually use a Motorola Bluetooth headset (must cheaper than Sony Ericsson's for the same ease of use and quality, according to the salesman) and sound quality is astonishing (due to P800 or Motorola?)
    2) Seems fragile but is not. I already droped it on a marble floor, and it is still working
    3) The Memory Stick Duo is Sony's trademark. Agree with you: I hate it for being much more expensive than its competition...
    4) I don't know about the camera quality. I am not interested in that feature. And I still don't understand why the general public needs a poor quality camera built in a phone (look at the new Samsung that communicates only on the camera!! Go figure. By the way, I played with the new Treo this afternoon, due to be out next September: great device. But why did they need to add a camera? To follow the trend? OK... makes sense!)
    5) Price-tag is comparable to its competition (at least in my part of the world) and certainly cheaper than the Treo 270 (about US$100 cheaper)
    6) Today Handango lines up exactly 100 software for the P800. I agree, it is nothing compared to Palm OS or Pocket PC! Nevertheless, there are more apps available everyday. Especially that it is quite easy and painless to convert Nokia Communicator 9210 (and above) software to P800'
    Originally posted by dennis3232

Snip
    ...By the way, I played with the new Treo this afternoon, due to be out next September: great device. But why did they need to add a camera? To follow the trend? OK... makes sense!)...
    I just want to know if the new treo will have Bluetooth included or will I have to settle for getting the Bluetooth SD card? I have a Sony C413S phone I use in Japan on the AU system. They too have CDMA 2000 1X just like Sprint does, but I have to fall back to a Palm M515 with bluetooth card so I can get out on the network and retrieve emails... It would be cool if I could use my treo to do this over there (The radio bands are different--I think they use 800MHZ but since there's only one band in US CDMA treos (1900MHz) I cant roam... Maybe that too will change.

Feel free to PM me on this since it's off topic... Others too can PM me if you have this info.
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!

4) I don't know about the camera quality. I am not interested in that feature. And I still don't understand why the general public needs a poor quality camera built in a phone (look at the new Samsung that communicates only on the camera!! Go figure. By the way, I played with the new Treo this afternoon, due to be out next September: great device. But why did they need to add a camera? To follow the trend? OK... makes sense!)
    You just answered your own question! To take pictures of things they otherwise wouldn't have photographed (lke the new Treo).
    By the way, I played with the new Treo this afternoon, due to be out next September: great device.
    I knew the new Treo will be out in fall, but you seem to know more about the form factor - anything you can tell us about it? I am most curious about it since the new device will be out roughly by the time my warranty period runs out...
    Originally posted by Dennis3232
    By the way, I played with the new Treo this afternoon, due to be out next September: great device.
    I assume the new Treo is a clamshell. Is the screen on the top like the Samsung i500 and Kyocera 7135, or on the bottom like the current Treo? And what sort of keyboard does it have?

By the way, I played with the new Treo this afternoon, due to be out next September: great device. But why did they need to add a camera? To follow the trend? OK... makes sense!)
    Nice juicy nugget you dropped there!! Care to elaborate?

Oh boy!! Now you know you can't say something like that and not get us all exicited and full of questions? If you don't mind, I would love to hear as much as you can tell us about this new device? What is the form factor like? Where is the screen placement and what resolution? Is the screen reflective or transflective? Is it a dual band phone? What kind of expansion? What Palm OS version? How much Ram? Does it have bluetooth? What kind of cpu does it have? What is the camera picture resolution? Does is come with real push mail? etc and etc etc!! Actaully I have a bunch more questions but you get the general idea!!

Thanks for any juicy nugget you can give us!!
    Maybe he's under some sort of non disclosure contract... I know a friend that has also played with the new Treo but can't tell me a thing about it... But if not then spill the beans already!!
    Originally posted by starrwulfe
    Maybe he's under some sort of non disclosure contract... I know a friend that has also played with the new Treo but can't tell me a thing about it... But if not then spill the beans already!!
    he already broke that.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Or maybe he's just yanking our chains!!
    Why not go with the Nokia 9290? Is it too big for you?

The battery life rocks on that unit, much longer than the Treo 270.

That is my major gripe of the Treo 270, poor battery life. I have to recharge my Treo 270 everyday since I use it so much!

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    KRamsauer:
    Love the flying pig!
    m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain