Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I have been a long time fan of handspring, but when they didn't meet my dire needs for an upscale pda/phone, I let them go. Yeah, the treo was an okay phone, but for the price, I wanted more. I waited two years for a device...finally someone made it. If the second generation treo can compete, I may come back.

www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3238.html
    or http://www.palminfocenter.com/ss.asp...ng_i500_lg.jpg which is an inferior device to the first link.

This link is slow, but has some nice close-up shots.
    http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...p=ko_en&tt=url

babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pdabench.com%2Freview7%2FMIT%2FMIT.htm&lp=ko_en&tt=url
    Last edited by jaxrunner; 04/14/2003 at 10:01 PM.
    Yeah, it's nice but it's not available until later this year, we don't know the carrier and we dont' know the price. Considering some of us have had our Treos for a very long time now, it seems silly to have waited (at least for me).
    I have said it once -- I'll say it again: No keyboard, no business. My 5 seconds are up.
    m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    No graffiti, no business. Exactly why I didn't buy the treo
    Originally posted by jaxrunner
    The SGH-i500 doesn't have a hard graffiti area either!! It will use Palm OS 5.2 which will incorporate a "virtual" G2 if I'm not mistaken. The treo basically does the same thing with RecoEcho+, newpen etc. Thus the advantage of graffiti in the SGH-i500 is erroneous. You basically give up the QERWTY keypad for a numeric one which IMO isn't that great of a trade. (plus the screen is placed on the inside of the flip cover which may lead to awkward data entry ) Furthermore, you're going to have to "wait" until at least Q3 of 2003 to see this mobile if press reports are correct. However, clearence of this mobile with various GSM/GPRS providers may take even longer. In the mean time, HS is rumored to have its 2nd gen Treo slated for release by sometime this summer, BEFORE the release of the SGH btw!
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Samsung has two version, actually two different devices SGH-i500 and SPH-i500. The latter has the hard graffiti area.
    The numeric keypad is just for the phone. I don't think that is a trade off. The virtual keyboard or Jot echo is a much enhanced version than what is available for 1st gen Palm os.
    Samsung has two version, actually two different devices SGH-i500 and SPH-i500. The latter has the hard graffiti area.
    The numeric keypad is just for the phone. I don't think that is a trade off. The virtual keyboard or Jot echo is a much enhanced version than what is available for 1st gen Palm os.
    HUH? 1st of all you referred to the SGH-i500 in your primary post, so that is what I referred to as well. Secondly, the SPH-i500 is an OS 4.1 device runs sports a 66 MHz Dragonball processor and 16MB of RAM. It is not a OS 5.2 device like the SGH and thus the SPH will not have all the multimedia/ARMlet-optimized apps. Thus besides the processor speed bump and lack of QERWTY, the SPH is very similar to the Treo. I doubt you were trying to argue the benefits of the SPH in your 1st post!

Furthermore, the "enahanced Jot echo" you refer is merely PalmSource's implementation of G2 in OS 5.2. G2 is PalmSource's replacement of "classic graffiti" which replaces the original script with one licensed from and similar CIC' Jot. This was primarily done as a result of litigation due to Xerox's claim that graffiti infringed upon its "unistrokes" patent. Thus G2 will now resemble JOT which HAS BEEN AVAILABLE for pdas using OS 4.1 and earlier for some time! Thus you can use CIC jot and get the "enhanced" graffiti now if you want on the Treo! In any case, I do not want to re-learn a script and prefer classic graffiti anyway, so the advantage of G2 is negligible for me. Luckily most Treo users have long ago avidly taken to QERWTY keypads so the transition should be hardly noticeable!!

In any case, I am NOT saying the SGH-i500 is not a great device. I am drooling over it like everyone else and I was very heartened to see those specs. I would love to get that device, but it just doesn't fit MY specific requirements (i.e cdma, QEWRTY etc) Thus, the SGH may not be for everyone which is a good thing! I like to have market diversity and if you feel that this device is for you , then go for it. Just don't assume it good for everyone...
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

HS is rumored to have its 2nd gen Treo slated for release by sometime this summer, BEFORE the release of the SGH btw!
    I agree with much of what you say, but this pushes the envelope. You're going with a product that has been purely the fabrication of rumors on this board and others over one that has been publicly supported by a major company with pictures to boot.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    I agree with much of what you say, but this pushes the envelope. You're going with a product that has been purely the fabrication of rumors on this board and others over one that has been publicly supported by a major company with pictures to boot.
    First of all I don't think the idea of a new Treo is a fabrication. Of course there hasn't been an official annoucement and there are no pictures, but several news outlets have reported Handspring's intention to release a new model this summer, and I do not find that very outrageous at all. Below are just a few of the articles I found:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/29556.html
    http://www.bargainpda.com/default.as...wComments=true
    http://www.brighthand.com/article/Ru...ng_This_Summer
    http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercuryne...ss/5303845.htm

Secondly as I said previously, there is no telling when the SGH-i500 will come to market. Heck the Kyocera was 1st supposed to be released in September 2002, and it is only NOW, 9 months later in April that it has finnaly been scheduled for release by Verizon. If you want another example, consider the SE BT mobile, T608, which was leaked in November of 2002 and probably won't be released until May of this year, 7 months later, if we're lucky. Also, the SPH-i500 still has not been released!! Additionally, there are numerous examples of mobiles/smartphones that were introduced but then never released at all! Thus I think it fair to compare the anticipated release of the new Treo to an anticipated release of a product a full 6+ months away....
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

First of all I don't think the idea of a new Treo is a fabrication. Of course there hasn't been an official annoucement and there are no pictures, but several news outlets have reported Handspring's intention to release a new model this summer, and I do not find that very outrageous at all.
    It's official, looks like September for a new device.From what a gather, it is for Sprint.

Looks like cingular/t-mo users may have to wait until Orange gets there version.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    HUH? 1st of all you referred to the SGH-i500 in your primary post, so that is what I referred to as well. Secondly, the SPH-i500 is an OS 4.1 device runs sports a 66 MHz Dragonball processor and 16MB of RAM. It is not a OS 5.2 device like the SGH and thus the SPH will not have all the multimedia/ARMlet-optimized apps. Thus besides the processor speed bump and lack of QERWTY, the SPH is very similar to the Treo. I doubt you were trying to argue the benefits of the SPH in your 1st post!

I think this device (SPH) is what the treo should have been. Yes, you're right the SPH is more like the treo, but I like the SPH also because of its form factor and it has the hard graffiti. The SGH is what the second gen treo should be (not exactly). With all the inovations handspring products had, I thought they would be a lot more ahead than they are now
    No QWERTY, no sale. Handspring's next-gen device won't be out till fall, though, and that's assuming they're still in business. Their current quarter was dismal and they're predicting the next one to be dismal, too. How can a company with such a good product have such a hard time selling it? My guess is that they priced the thing way too high. It should be selling for $200 tops, not including rebates. There are too many color phones with cameras and other goodies out now. To be honest, I'm thinking that the color Danger hiptop may be my next device. I love my Treo, but the thumbboard is too small, IMO. Hopefully what they're cooking up for their next-gen device looks more like some of my mockups which allow for a small device with a larger thumbboard.

Scott
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I agree the price is too high. This technology has been out for awhile, but cell phones are generally priced high, combine that with a pda and the price will obviously increase. Dismal...they aren't producing a product that made handspring who they are (I should say who they were ). Yes the treo is a solid device but, it wasn't enough to keep the strong market they had. If they could have offered the treo with graffiti, 16bit screen, and possibly continue the visor line, I think they wouldn't be in such a dismal state.

Hopefully they will make a strong come back.
    Last edited by jaxrunner; 04/15/2003 at 06:53 PM.
    from my understanding of todays call. I didn't take notes, so:

high end device (phone centric)
    os 5 arm processor
    keyboard (because that it what orange wants).
    should be in full production by end of december.

other notes:
    180 sold more than 270 this quarter?
    300 are a better seller, but might be because of sprint pushing them more. The they hope to see an upturn now that t-mo has them in stores.
    180 are still selling.
    300 and 270 will probably co-exist with the new product for awhile.
    The last guy finanlly asked the question I wanted asked: is t-mo a tier 1 or 2 partner? currently thay are a tier 1. What does that mean , they wont be in the future? :-)

that is what i remember.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    That's fair.
    But for me the keyboard vs. graffiti is like riding bicycles vs. tricycles: Speed! I type with my thumbs at least (I never actually measured this) three times faster than I do graffiti. And I write a lot!
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    For the die-hard graffiti users out there,

what happened to add-ons like "new pen" which lets you do graffiti on the main screen? I have my Treo 180 with both keyboard and graffiti... it's sweet. : )
    Originally posted by Scott R
    No QWERTY, no sale. Handspring's next-gen device won't be out till fall, though, and that's assuming they're still in business. Their current quarter was dismal and they're predicting the next one to be dismal, too. How can a company with such a good product have such a hard time selling it? My guess is that they priced the thing way too high. It should be selling for $200 tops, not including rebates. There are too many color phones with cameras and other goodies out now. To be honest, I'm thinking that the color Danger hiptop may be my next device. I love my Treo, but the thumbboard is too small, IMO. Hopefully what they're cooking up for their next-gen device looks more like some of my mockups which allow for a small device with a larger thumbboard.

Scott
    Scott,

As usual, I agree with you. After using the Treo, any phone, PDA, or combo device I own from this point forward needs to have a Qwerty.

Problem I can't seem to shake though is the size of treo (due to the required width of the Treo's keyboard). I'm vain and need to be stylish and, at this point, the Treo aint that any more.

My solution? Ok, so I know it's not technically a "smart phone", but for me it does just about everything I did with my Treo (and, for the most part, does it just as well):

http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6800

I'm interested in seeing what Handspring comes out with, but I just couldn't wait until Fall (if the new Treo actually shows by that time).