1.    #1  
    I predict that this latest round of rebates could be the beginning of the end of Handspring. One thing I think Handspring overlooked when they jumped exclusivly into the smartphone secter is that people only buy cell phones cause they are offered dirt cheap when they sign up for contracts with the carriers. People rarely buy cell phones out of a contract. This means that aside from the diehard techies, the only way Handspring can get the Treo to really take off is to cut the bottom off the price. A big loss for Handspring.

The other problem I see coming is that the other smartphone companies like Samsung, Kyocera and Sony Ericsson all have other products to fall back on while they promote their new smartphones. For them it's no biggy if they cut losses on their smartphones because they're raking in the money with their other products. Handspring on the other hand(pun unintended) is not almost entirely smartphone based (seeing as how they axed the lovely Treo 90) and have nothing to fall back on.

RIP Handspring?
    Goodbye my lovely Treo
    HELLO TG50
    I don't see your point. The rebates are not from Handspring; they are from the service providers and Amazon.

This could also signal that new models are coming out in the near future.
    Originally posted by tantousha
    People rarely buy cell phones out of a contract.
    Hmmm... as rare as I am, I actually bought 2 Treos retail (without contract) and I'm sure there are scores of people who do not want to be burdened with a fixed term plan. Personally, I like the feeling of not being tied down.

As for HS going bust. I'm sure they are not in great shape but they are releasing a new Treo in September and it should make the Kyocera, Tung'stone' et al look pretty ordinary. If they can stay afloat, I think the future looks bright and it is not a bad thing to supply to a niche market. Plenty of companies do it very successfully. Worst case, I could see them taken over or merge - so either way, we should be safe.

I see your point about the majors being able to fall back on the other stuff they make but it all depends if these other companies operate brands completely autonimously from others (which would make sense)... but I don't know if they do or not.

I'm waiting to see how it all pans out because the whole smartphone game is gonna get awfully crowded - not a bad thing for us, aye?
    www.gsmworld.com
    I agree that the rebates shouldn't hurt HS' bottom line because they are from Amazon and Sprint. I wouldn't think it was inventory clearing unless it came from HS.

A good point was raised though about the cellphone companies being able to absorb a hit by selling cheaper phones though. For HS the Treo is the business.
    Since the rebates are from carriers handspring is still making a lot of money on each phone they sell to the carriers. The reason that carriers offer phones cheaper is to get customers, in todays cell phone market the only way to get customers is to sell phone cheap and the CARRIER takes the loss. For example, that samsung R225M(i think thats the model) that t-mo gives away costs t-mo around $100 a handset(thats what a dealer told me) but the need to get new customers is so great that its worth the hit. Also t-mo new nokia camera phone is supposed to sell for over $400 US but they are selling it for $300. Just another example
    This thread reminds me of a little company that could: Apple, Inc. Many folks, big or small, predicted its demise. But the little engine kept on going, producing great and creative products along the way.
    True, Apple has had a much bigger pocket than HS, but the moral of the story remains for the takers.
    Finally, the new Treo that is scheduled to come out in the fall might be the make-or-break event for HS. Time will tell.

m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Perhaps they are flushing soon to be old stock (new Treo rumors ya know). The rebates are form Best Buy, Amamzon, Sprint and such, they are the ones that are getting the hit I would assume, or breaking even to make $ on the contracts.
    Just my opinion, Matt Burkhard

HS is a head of it's time, just like another user just stated, kinda like the small Co that could APPLE

Give em hell Handspring!!
    Transportable cel phone numbers are coming this November. The fact that a user can keep a single number as they move from service to service means that users wil buy a cel phone to fit their needs rather then just taking what the cel providers offer.

True, some will continue to take the "freebies" from the cel companies - but these people have never been Handspring customers anyway.

So - if someone wants a PDA with cel they'll buy that.

If they want a game boy with cel, that's what they'll buy,

Personal cel numbers will really change the market.

Now, if only I could get a Treo with the added MP3/record/FM features of a Pogo! RipFlash Trio I'd be in hog heaven!!
    HS does remind me of Apple. But keep in mind that Apple was gonna topple the PC's dominance. Instead they saved themselves by becoming just a niche company. Too bad they didn't port their OS to the PC before Microsoft released Windows. A lesson I think Palm learned well when they decided to sell their OS to anyone who wanted to buy it,
    Originally posted by chuckyts
    Transportable cel phone numbers are coming this November. The fact that a user can keep a single number as they move from service to service means that users wil buy a cel phone to fit their needs rather then just taking what the cel providers offer.
    Not true. The Treo 300 will only work with Sprint, for instance. So if you need Sprint's data plan, you are still stuck with certain phones. The phone number never plays into the equation.
    To Tantousha: Why would you predict doom for an innovative company because they promote their product through a rebate? Do you predict that your child is going to be be a failure in life because it likes skateboarding? Ths links are about as tenuous in both cases. I fear that you have no understanding of how rebates are financed and how marketing organizations work during recessions.

Handspring is a boutique phone manufacturer forging some change into a very conservative market. No one said they would become Nokia overnight and they seem to be weathering the storm quite well. Save your negativity and heap praise upon their creativity. The world and you will be better for it.
    I would be more concerned with the stock price. In another month or so they will be running the risk of being delisted from NASDAQ. Even a reverse stock split will not protect them from the stigma (the so-called "kiss of death") in the investment community which impacts equity funding, lines of credit, etc. They don't have that much money in the bank if one looks at their 10-Q and this is even compounded by losing $10M or so a quarter.
    I wouldn't worry too much about delisting. I don't think it is going to happen, but even if it did, Handspring's major "capital" is the team of Hawkins, Dubinsky, Colligan, et al. They have put together a sound business plan to dramatically reduce costs and business risk. This quarter will look ugly because of the hit they are taking to get out of some major leases, but profitability by the end of the calendar year still looks probable. If some of the strategic alliances that have been talked about come to fruition and/or HS puts out a top notch 2nd generation Treo, I'd say the future looks downright positive.

JMHO

Gargoyle
    Originally posted by Maniac8888
    I would be more concerned with the stock price. In another month or so they will be running the risk of being delisted from NASDAQ. Even a reverse stock split will not protect them from the stigma (the so-called "kiss of death") in the investment community which impacts equity funding, lines of credit, etc. They don't have that much money in the bank if one looks at their 10-Q and this is even compounded by losing $10M or so a quarter.
    I haven't looked, but what is their cash position quarter over quarter? Getting delisted from the NASDAQ is really immaterial because they are in no position to issue equity anyway.
    I really hope Handspring survives. After almost a year with my 270, I still love it. Sure there are things I wish it had, but overall there is nothing out there right now that would make me stray.

My only concern is whether Hawkin's heart is still in it to win it. He seems to be more into his research on brains than he is on making Handspring a winner. Obviously that is just my opinion based on articles I have read, but I really hope the next model is something special.
    Originally posted by lynch
    He seems to be more into his research on brains than he is on making Handspring a winner.
    Any brain researcher knows that Treo users are geniuses…we are hard to please

m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain