1.    #1  
    Hey, what da y'all think of the Zircon Smartphone from Groups Sense? It has a super small form factor and measures just 3.8 by 1.8 by .8 inches! It is by far the most pocketable palmOS smartphone I have ever seen. Anyways, Brighthand is reporting that Grroups Sense is also working on a OS 5 version of this device for release later this year! I realize that the Zircon doesn't have a keyboard, which is a must for many users here, but the shear size of thsi device makes me think twice! Any thoughts?

Here is a pic:

http://www.infosync.no/news/2003/04/.../zircon_01.jpg
    No keyboard -- no business. My 2 cents.
    m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Originally posted by m00se
    m00se
    ditto. could never willingly take that step backwards
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  4.    #4  
    Yeah, i generally agree. But do you guys realize how tiny thsi thing really is? Think about all the people who constantly say that they like the Treo but just can't accept carrying around soemthing that big or b/c its bulky? The Zircon would satisfy all whole bunch of people who are looking for something small and pocketable IMO...
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Yeah, i generally agree. But do you guys realize how tiny thsi thing really is? Think about all the people who constantly say that they like the Treo but just can't accept carrying around soemthing that big or b/c its bulky? The Zircon would satisfy all whole bunch of people who are looking for something small and pocketable IMO...
    Yeah, it is small. But for so many people (Treo's target audience) the lack of a keyboard is simply unacceptable.
    Originally posted by m00se
    m00se
    I am a new Treo user. I mainly used a Visor Prism prior to my Treo. While using the Prism, I became very proficient at using Graffiti and could jot down notes very quickly. In the past week, I have been reverting back to Reco Echo to increase my speed as I am not yet familiar with the keyboard yet (alpha and numeric characters are simple. I am just not used to navigating through programs using the keyboard). Consequently, I find myself trading off, in what feels like a fairly clumsy fashion, between the keyboard and the stylus as I'm using an application. I notice you guys starkly prefer the keyboard to Graffiti. Did you transition from Graffiti to the keyboard? Had you not used Graffiti prior to this and therefore transitioned to the keyboard more gracefully than I? Certainly, however, this seems a non issue. I can certainly take some time to learn the keyboard better but I have just been switching to Graffiti quite a bit as I find I am faster and more productive with it.

This new phone looks great to me as a bigtime Graffiti user I think the silk screen is handy. Furthermore, I like the integrated smartphone and camera. I realize the quality from cameras like that are almost always lacking but I like the ability to take pictures on the fly. All in all I am loving my Treo. Just trying to get used to it, though.

Upon perusing the article, the only thing that bothers me about this device is the lack of a full set of application buttons. I find application buttons very convenient as they are easy shortcuts when mapped with an application I need. For example, if I know I am going to need an application frequently on a certain day (such as a map reader when I am traveling) I remap my keys so I have easy access to that app throughout the day.
    Last edited by xenogearz; 04/08/2003 at 09:31 AM.
  7.    #7  
    PIC is reporting that GSPDA is release not one but TWO new palmOS smartphones. The other one called the Onynx is a clam shell design with numeric keypad, VG, and integrated camera! Very interesting indeed IMO...
    Me too. Keyboard input is probably 2-3X faster than stylus. When I feel leisurely I use the RecoEcho. But when I really need to keep up with a lecture, the keyboard is a must.

I just wished that with the next release of the Treo, they can use the jogger as a sort of a tab to move from one icon to another or menu scrolling.
    It should be sporting an ARM processor and OS5... and what about tri-band and expansion slot ?

It is pretty cool for us tho that the market is filling with smartphones - there are so many now, I can't keep up
    www.gsmworld.com