Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By normsland
  1.    #1  
    El Reg reports that Qualcomm's latest round of patent lawsuits against Apple involves Apple's alleged violation of the webOS card metaphor patent.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/1...venty_million/

For context, see: Qualcomm buys Palm patents
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Passport SE
    Yikes
    oh wowowow, didn't even know that qualcomm shopped palm patents
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    oh wowowow, didn't even know that qualcomm shopped palm patents
    I hope the GUI patents don't impact Open webOS or its forks, like LuneOS. They must not, though, right? The GUI must have been open-sourced along with the underlying OS... I hope.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Passport SE
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    I hope the GUI patents don't impact Open webOS or its forks, like LuneOS. They must not, though, right? The GUI must have been open-sourced along with the underlying OS... I hope.
    I don't think Qualcomm would be interested in sueing LuneOS in this case. It looks like it could be a bit of a tit for tat with Apple escalated from Qualcomms Quick Charge 3 etc. Hopefully Qualcomm will be using its patent portfolio defensively. Eg when Google bought Motorola mobility it used the patents acquired to help Android OEMs hold off Apple. Only time will tell. Worse case if LuneOS ever has devices produced in numbers the manufacturer would pay Qualcomm royalties for the licence to use the patents per device or one time fee.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
    dkirker likes this.
    What normsland said sounds about right. I know traditionally, Palm used patents defensively. Of course, Qualcomm is not Palm. Now, if there is a chance that LuneOS could dilute the value of the patents, then Qualcomm might go after LuneOS. But.... I am just speculating and really have no idea. I suspect that if anything came up, it would be device manufacturers making devices that used LuneOS paying royalties to Qualcomm, as normsland said. At my last company we worked on a project called OpenBTS which encompasses the GSM spec, and there are some patents that you really technically need to license to use the project (at least commercially).
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    I see a comment on the linked article mentioning LG.

My remark is that most of the webOS code was open-sourced, which would likely offer some protection. LuneOS is not a commercial project, so is not taking any money away from Qualcomm (especially not as it's still in development). Also, without knowing how much has been donated to the project, I doubt any funds are worth the costs of a court case.

Side note: I doubt Qualcomm are developing a product from this IP. The purchase was likely a 'hoovering up' of patents related to mobile devices to be used defensively in order to stay in business.

webOS as it was got sold to LG along with the development team and although significantly modified, still has a 'card' element to it. It was later reported that the patents were sold to Qualcomm, though I don't think details were revealed - I assume the patents are available to the public, so a search could find the specifics of what Qualcomm have. It seemed odd to me that LG were making the product, but didn't buy the IP. No doubt their deal offered protection or licensing. I assume both LG and HP (should HP ever want to make another webOS product) are so protected or license fees are being paid. I mean, this isn't a story about LG getting sued.

I think this is Qualcomm after some Apple money and if they have a case, a deal will be done. I recall that Microsoft apparently gets a fee for every Android device, but I can't remember why.

Our main concern is LuneOS. I reckon if Apple can get sued, then webOS Ports could get sued if LuneOS was released as a commercial product as could any other entity (webOS router...?)

For a device manufacturer, there could be problems in selling a webOS phone I suppose, but perhaps a license agreement with reasonable fees would not be a big problem even for a small concern and if a hit, so much the better for Qualcomm. If necessary, a way around it though might be to make a device that runs LuneOS and offer it as an option or leave the user to do the install. The manufacturer could then donate to webOS Ports.

Disclaimer: It's all speculation. I'm not a patent lawyer.