1.    #1  
    hi all!

For discussion and speculation purposes only i guess, but i've always wondered if a new modem module could be fabricated and installed into a Pre2.

The phone already stands as evidence that the modem is completely modular, because we're able to swap the GSM module for the CDMA module with no other hardware change as long as you account for the antenna in the sub-chassis.

We also know that webOS 3.x can handle 4G, as there's been mods discussed here using an LTE modem in the TPad.

So - could someone build a module that would receive LTE, and pop right into a Pre2 chassis? Run a patch and boom? Or no? What's the limiting factor(s)?

Why again aren't the LuneOS people trying to use Pre2s, but instead Nexus4s?

i'm just trying to find a way to avoid the future, which is upsizing my phone. I want pocket-sized!
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    They're using the N4 because there are Android drivers available for it. Nothing like that is available for webOS phones.
    I would think if we can load alternate kernels, it would be possible to 'back-port' LuneOS (a super patch?) onto webOS devices (see also: LunaCE), but the cited problem is usually available memory - especially as LuneOS is I think unoptimised. Maybe when in a release state, it might be squeezed onto the older phones - but who will put in the work on an ever aging device?

It also been noted before that if anyone can build Qt 5.6 for legacy webOS, then a bunch of LuneOS goodies would be usable - such as the browser.

On the modem question... My ignorant guess is that if modem modules have an interchangable shape/pins & what not, then maybe you could use a TP modem and get the drivers from there also, but this may well fall at the first (and every) hurdle.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/06/2016 at 10:23 PM.
    We have modified kernels because the kernel source was made available for released webOS versions. Without Android device drivers, there can be no LuneOS.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    They're using the N4 because there are Android drivers available for it. Nothing like that is available for webOS phones.
    oh those can't be written like patches? idk.
    how much would we have to pay china to make a driver? i'm pretty sure alibaba will have them in a week just for inquiring.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    We have modified kernels because the kernel source was made available for released webOS versions. Without Android device drivers, there can be no LuneOS.
    Well, I agree that is likely the practical case for phones, but LuneOS already operates without Android drivers on the RPi.
    Some developments in the hardware world