Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By dkirker
  1.    #1  
    An interesting article on zdnet:
    Android's existential crisis: Why Java needs to die on mobile devices | ZDNet

I may be wrong, but aren't most Android apps written in Java? Adopting web apps may not be difficult, but all those old apps are one of the big draws for Android. Killing them off won't go well.

There is talk that Android apps will be made available to ChromeOS (which basically boots to a browser), with a JVM no doubt. Could it be that Google will put Android apps on ChromeOS, then make a mobile version, kill Android and encourage developers to update to web technologies. Then they can ditch Java. Or maybe just encourage web apps on Android prior to removing Java from it.

Web apps would tend to level the app gap...

Anyone else have any amusing theories?

Meanwhile, back in 2006, a Palm user ponders...
    Existential Crisis
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/26/2016 at 07:34 PM.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    I don't see it happening. They're not going to throw away everything they have established. If they move away, it will require a transition, but as Palm and BlackBerry can attest, sometimes that transition hits a brick wall.
    xandros9 likes this.
    And sometimes that brick wall is bigger platforms. :/

That said, it seems no one properly does web on mobile...
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    xandros9 likes this.
    I really like the browser on sailfish. Works really well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Android, Sailfish, iPhone.... Just makes me miss webOS so much. So far ahead of the others in simplicity and UI.

I have an iPhone for work and an Android for personal use. I absolutely despise the iPhone (just a brain-dead UI to me). And I dislike Android - especially because it's so unsecure. Every app requests permissions for stuff that it absolutely doesn't need... ie: why would a game need to know the Caller-ID of the person I'm talking to? Ugh. But I'm sure Apple is doing the same thing except not letting you know.

Anyhow - thanks Preemptive for the link to the '06 discussion. Trip down memory lane!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/02/2016 at 11:46 AM.
    Global Posts
    9,552 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Android, Sailfish, iPhone.... Just makes me miss webOS so much. So far ahead of the others in simplicity and UI.

I have an iPhone for work and an Android for personal use. I absolutely despise the iPhone (just a brain-dead UI to me). And I dislike Android - especially because it's so unsecure. Every app requests permissions for stuff that it absolutely doesn't need... ie: why would a game need to know the Caller-ID of the person I'm talking to? Ugh. But I'm sure Apple is doing the same thing except not letting you know.

Anyhow - thanks Preemptive for the link to the '06 discussion. Trip down memory lane!
    So it can tell you who's calling if they call while you're playing the game?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by grover5 View Post
    So it can tell you who's calling if they call while you're playing the game?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Good thought... but I'd think the phone app would simply take over like it does for all other apps that don't require this info. Any other game/app that I use that doesn't need that requirement still allows me to see the caller ID because the phone app pops up when a call comes in. Some apps update and simply add extra access requests that aren't needed. A lot of this is simply data gathering and selling.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    When you get an e-mail during nethack game, a Mail daemon enters, bringing you "scroll" with your mail written on it
    T5, CliƩ NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Pre2, Nexus7@LuneOS