Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Originally posted by SammyTerry
    I realize all is understood now, but because I went to all the trouble of taking a picture of my Treo, I'll post the pic anyway.
    From the picture, I noticed some chipping from the top edge of the antenna. Are those teeth marks made by a plier of some sort?
    joe
  2.    #22  

You can on mine, I just had to give it a good strong twist.
    Sammy,

I assumed that you do this so you can replace the antenna with the one that gfunkmagic mentioned in his post. If you did replace it, how do you like it? Do you lose signal or coverage? I would like to know.
    joe
    Originally posted by LaughingMan

From the picture, I noticed some chipping from the top edge of the antenna. Are those teeth marks made by a plier of some sort?
    No, I think it is just dust. I didn't use pliers at all. If your's isn't coming off that easily, I think I would assume that you have the other version. It wasn't easy to unscrew mine, yet it wasn't really hard either, never did I think I was putting enough force to break it.
    Originally posted by LaughingMan

Sammy,

I assumed that you do this so you can replace the antenna with the one that gfunkmagic mentioned in his post. If you did replace it, how do you like it? Do you lose signal or coverage? I would like to know.
    No, I was thinking about getting that replacment but I haven't yet, I am tired of having an antennae stuck in my side.
    Last edited by SammyTerry; 04/02/2003 at 12:23 PM.
    I couldn't find a small antenna so I cut mine down to about a third of the original size:
    Removed the black plastic shielding.
    Removed the black cap
    Cut down the steel antenna with a high speed modelling saw.
    Wrapped a small piece of black insulation tape around new antenna
    Glued the black cap back on

The new, cut down version looks the business and actually looks more like it belongs on the Treo opposed to the rather large antenna Treo came with. I have been using the small antenna for about three months.

As for loss of signal (tested simultaneously with two SIMS on the same network):
    When 270 (with short antenna) and 180 (with regular antenna) are in the same space, there is no degradation in signal with the short antenna (tested in my house, car, train, work and at the top of Mount Zermatt!).

Which begs the question:
    Why did HS put an antenna the size of Mount Zermatt on Treo?
    www.gsmworld.com
  6.    #26  
    Originally posted by nzmoko
    I couldn't find a small antenna so I cut mine down to about a third of the original size:
    Removed the black plastic shielding.
    Removed the black cap
    Cut down the steel antenna with a high speed modelling saw.
    Wrapped a small piece of black insulation tape around new antenna
    Glued the black cap back on

The new, cut down version looks the business and actually looks more like it belongs on the Treo opposed to the rather large antenna Treo came with. I have been using the small antenna for about three months.

As for loss of signal (tested simultaneously with two SIMS on the same network):
    When 270 (with short antenna) and 180 (with regular antenna) are in the same space, there is no degradation in signal with the short antenna (tested in my house, car, train, work and at the top of Mount Zermatt!).

Which begs the question:
    Why did HS put an antenna the size of Mount Zermatt on Treo?
    I admire your adventurous spirit, but I will have to pass on your suggestion after I read the following post.

Originally posted by Burrzoo
    Hey LaughingMan,

When I posed the questions to Ryker, I had an ulterior motive. I had already purchased the mini antenna from Germany (through Ebay). My original/stock antenna was spinning. Couldn't tighten or loosen it either way. With BIG HELP from Ryker's pictures, I could open the Top and sides of the case but never got the bottom undone. Maybe I created to much pressure somewhere. I was able to Finally remove the old antenna and install the new mini antenna. The mini is machined aluminum and fit perfectly. It took appx. 10 days to arrive from Germany to California. It seems to work no differently than the stock antenna but it's so much smaller/shorter, you don't catch it on anything. I had very good customer service when I bought the mini. I ordered two others for friends and shipping only increased a buck. They gave me them at the minimum price too. Be adventurous and go ahead...order one!

Good Luck!

Burrzoo
    Perhaps kramsauer would like to give it a shot.
    joe
    I just wanted to know if anyone with a treo 300 has purchased one of those mini antennas from ebay? And if they did, has it worked well?
    I believe that both the 270 and 300 have a "screw on" antenna. At first I also could not remove the antenna on my 270. I openned the Treo and found out that the "brass threaded ring" where the antenna is attached to was loose against the Treo's case. I put some instant glue between the case and the ring. Now, I can easily unscrew and screw back my antenna without any problems.

After I acquired a spare antenna from a friend, I decided to shorten one of them. What you see in the picture is just the lower part of the base of the antenna. I removed the "gear" like portion (which is just on top of this). This was done on a lathe machine.

This short antenna works quite well. Except for the US where GSM signals are always very week, I don't experience any loss in signal strength in Europe, Asia, Australia, Middle East. I have a means of comparison because the Treo is a personal phone and I have to also carry the company's Nokia phone (until I find a way to attach a Dual SIM card board into the Treo.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
  9.    #29  

I am tired of having an antennae stuck in my side.
    I know what you mean. I used to put it in one of my rear pant pockets until the antenna rip a hole in my pants. Now I hold it in my pouch.
    joe
  10.    #30  

No, I think it is just dust. I didn't use pliers at all. If your's isn't coming off that easily, I think I would assume that you have the other version. It wasn't easy to unscrew mine, yet it wasn't really hard either, never did I think I was putting enough force to break it.
    It seems like I'm in the same boat as kramsauer. I was able to rotate the shielding, but it just wouldn't unscrew.
    joe
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12