1.    #1  
    Has anyone used this? I am considering purchasing this for my presentations at work while travelling.

http://www.margi.com/products/prod_ptg.htm

TIA
    joe
    I've not used it, but have been looking at it for a while. The only Treo you can use it on (so far) is the Treo 90, since that's the only one with an SD card slot. Since it occupies that slot while using it, you are stuck with 16MB for the presentation. One parameter that I have not been able to find out for sure is the data transfer rate: how quickly can the image change for a given amount of data on a slide? When reading on the original Visor springboard version, I remember some worrisome comments on that, and I've not found anything saying that large pages come up quickly on the other versions. If you display mostly text, you are not likely to have very large powerpoint files that might be a problem.
    i thought it was a link to a cool little projector...

i always seem to need my laptop for enough different stuff that i would have it with me anyway. i travel for rotary conferences mostly, not business, and use laptop for a bunch of stuff including MP3 DJ and karaoke! so just having one less thing to lug won't help that much...

good luck
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by awschwab
    I've not used it, but have been looking at it for a while. The only Treo you can use it on (so far) is the Treo 90, since that's the only one with an SD card slot. Since it occupies that slot while using it, you are stuck with 16MB for the presentation. One parameter that I have not been able to find out for sure is the data transfer rate: how quickly can the image change for a given amount of data on a slide? When reading on the original Visor springboard version, I remember some worrisome comments on that, and I've not found anything saying that large pages come up quickly on the other versions. If you display mostly text, you are not likely to have very large powerpoint files that might be a problem.

I will be showing design content to a group of engineers, so I am going to need to use diagrams. Since my slides are currently in PDFs, I will either have to download the pdf reader for the treo 90, or convert it to powerpoint. I haven't used the pdf reader for palm so I don't know how fast it compares with, say my doc2go slideshow software.
    joe
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by aarons12
    i thought it was a link to a cool little projector...

i always seem to need my laptop for enough different stuff that i would have it with me anyway. i travel for rotary conferences mostly, not business, and use laptop for a bunch of stuff including MP3 DJ and karaoke! so just having one less thing to lug won't help that much...

good luck

Consider using it in a mini lightshow for your disco parties.......
    It's like a 60" projection TV in a small box.
    joe
    The link is to Presenter-To-Go, which is not the projector, but a card that can be added to your PDA to allow output to a projector. Presenter to go comes with software that lets you convert your powerpoint presentation, or any program's output that can be printed, into a form that you can show from your PDA. It comes with an IR remote control that talks to your PDA so you can control it remotely.

I think that documents to go allows you only to rehearse your talk by going over it on your PDA, not to actually project it as you can with presenter to go. But you can't edit the individual slides with presenter to go, only reorder and show/hide them.
    Last edited by awschwab; 03/27/2003 at 02:56 PM.
    Originally posted by LaughingMan

Consider using it in a mini lightshow for your disco parties.......
    It's like a 60" projection TV in a small box.
    actually that's an interesting idea. wonder if i could project winamp visualizations (don't see why not...) now to get some pulsating oil bubbles a la the 60's, and play In-a-Gadda-Davida...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by aarons12

actually that's an interesting idea. wonder if i could project winamp visualizations (don't see why not...) now to get some pulsating oil bubbles a la the 60's, and play In-a-Gadda-Davida...
    Believe it or not, I was thinking on the same line with the visualizations. I don't see why not either. Let me know how that goes.
    joe
  9.    #9  
    The link is to Presenter-To-Go, which is not the projector, but a card that can be added to your PDA to allow output to a projector. Presenter to go comes with software that lets you convert your powerpoint presentation, or any program's output that can be printed, into a form that you can show from your PDA. It comes with an IR remote control that talks to your PDA so you can control it remotely.

I think that documents to go allows you only to rehearse your talk by going over it on your PDA, not to actually project it as you can with presenter to go. But you can't edit the individual slides with presenter to go, only reorder and show/hide them.
    I was totally mistaken. I thought this gadget is a tiny version of a full-sized projector. It seems like I would still need to carry my projector with me. Well, at least it is possible to leave my laptop at home now. I wish there's testimony from someone who've used it.
    joe
    Well, I ordered one. I'll post something here after I've had it for a while.
    I bought a P.T.G. as a SpringBoard for my Prism. I used it a fair bit and it works well. The eight megs on the Prism is an issue. I had to delete some extras to put presentations on when I was running nearly full. Then transfer them to the PTG modual and reinstall what I took off. Not to bad for how small it is. It will display Powerpoint as slides (no transisions). That means if you want to show the same slide with a little more text you must make an other slide. No big deal but your presentatin can wind up with a lot of slides. PTG also alows you to display anything that is on your PDA. So if you have Docs to Go you can view spread sheets, or word docs on the big screen, or play games and have every one watch, etc. It does everything it says it will do and nothing more, including crash your PDA. That is, PTG is stable and I have never had to reset do to using it. If you don't want to take a laptop, and can keep your presentaions simple it is a great product. Ther is a nice WOW effect too.
    D.
    I used the old Springboard (remember them?) version of Presenter-To-Go. While it worked well, I never used it that often because of a number of presentation restrictions, most of them to limit size:

* You could only use static slides--i.e. no PPT animations, things swooping in from the sides, no slide-to-slide transitions, etc.
    * The movement from slide to slide was slower than I was used to.
    * Without expansion on the treo, you're limited to a certain number of slides, depending on how much space you've already used up on your device. The number of slides will vary by what you have on the slides--pictures take up more space than text, textured backgrounds take up more space than plain backgrounds, etc.

I'm sure you get the idea. When I used it, you were basically limited to what I would call "Power Point Lite." I'm not sure if Margi has made any changes to the product since then or not, so some of my opinions may be moot.

I'll say that it also came with this 'mirror' application that allowed you to project the screen of your handheld onto the wall using the projector. Good for training people in the use of handhelds.
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by Dafydd
    I bought a P.T.G. as a SpringBoard for my Prism. I used it a fair bit and it works well. The eight megs on the Prism is an issue. I had to delete some extras to put presentations on when I was running nearly full. Then transfer them to the PTG modual and reinstall what I took off. Not to bad for how small it is. It will display Powerpoint as slides (no transisions). That means if you want to show the same slide with a little more text you must make an other slide. No big deal but your presentatin can wind up with a lot of slides. PTG also alows you to display anything that is on your PDA. So if you have Docs to Go you can view spread sheets, or word docs on the big screen, or play games and have every one watch, etc. It does everything it says it will do and nothing more, including crash your PDA. That is, PTG is stable and I have never had to reset do to using it. If you don't want to take a laptop, and can keep your presentaions simple it is a great product. Ther is a nice WOW effect too.
    D.
    I would like to test PTG with a set of 30 slides (with no transitions). Currently, it's is PDF format. It seems like I would conserve more space if I use doc2go rather than acrobat reader for palm. There are about 7 slides with diagrams in 8-bit color. If I can use photoshop to reduce the color bits of these diagrams down to 2 or 3 colors, I can give PTG a try.

How big is the PTG software module on the palm? I need that info so I know how much to squeeze out of my set of slides.
    joe
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by pbryon
    * You could only use static slides--i.e. no PPT animations, things swooping in from the sides, no slide-to-slide transitions, etc.
    * The movement from slide to slide was slower than I was used to.
    These are the least of my worries. My test slides have no animations or transitions.

* Without expansion on the treo, you're limited to a certain number of slides, depending on how much space you've already used up on your device. The number of slides will vary by what you have on the slides--pictures take up more space than text, textured backgrounds take up more space than plain backgrounds, etc.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I pretty much overlooked this until I read your post. Since the PTG hardware module used up the SD slot, my storage space is limited to what the treo can store on ram.

I'm sure you get the idea. When I used it, you were basically limited to what I would call "Power Point Lite." I'm not sure if Margi has made any changes to the product since then or not, so some of my opinions may be moot.
    I'm not sure whether they improved it. I'll have to talk to someone over at customer service. I do know that they made it compatible with more IO slots.

I'll say that it also came with this 'mirror' application that allowed you to project the screen of your handheld onto the wall using the projector. Good for training people in the use of handhelds.
    I guess this is what dafydd was referring as the app that lets you play games on your handheld while others watch on the projector.
    joe
  15.    #15  

I am in no hurry to try PTG, but it's great to know that you've purchased it. I will put this thread on my watch list so I can hear your progress.
    joe
  16.    #16  
    Sorry, wrong quote. Here's the right one.

Well, I ordered one. I'll post something here after I've had it for a while.
    joe