1.    #1  
    With the following announcements. I believe it would be very likely for HS to incorporate a memory stick slot in the next Treo release. This would mean users of the new treo can have all these cool memory stick gadgets that Sony has released. Sony and Handspring can be a pretty formidable obstacle for Microsoft.

http://news.com.com/2009-1040-249739.html?legacy=cnet

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-258196.html?legacy=cnet

http://www.palmblvd.com/articles/200...-Fi-Comes.html

Just my thoughts
    joe
    I'm going to assume the first two links were for background reference as they were both two, or more, years old. I think a SD/MMC slot is much more likely than a Memorystick slot. The rest of the industry, except for Sony which wants to push its proprietry Memorystick, seems to be standardizing around the SD/MMC format. I don't believe there is anything mentioned in the articles that can not be accomplished through a SD/MMC.

Just my thoughts.

Gargoyle
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by gargoylejps
    I'm going to assume the first two links were for background reference as they were both two, or more, years old.
    Thanks for the insight. I should have looked at the dates of those articles. I wonder if motorola have added SD/MMC support into their architectures since then.

The rest of the industry, except for Sony which wants to push its proprietry Memorystick, seems to be standardizing around the SD/MMC format.
    Sony have always been like that for many years. Some of their technologies, like the minidiscs were adopted while others, like the SACD, remains proprietary. I wonder if it is possible for HS to incorporate support for SD/MMC and Memory Stick.

I don't believe there is anything mentioned in the articles that can not be accomplished through a SD/MMC.
    Are there already wifi cards in SD/MMC format? I would like to check one out.
    joe
  4.    #4  
    I don't believe there is anything mentioned in the articles that can not be accomplished through a SD/MMC.
    I though the SD/MMC standard doesn't support IO functions. My friend has a treo 90 and he told me that he cannot add any IO devices into it. Is he just saying that because there isn't any SD devices out as of yet?
    joe
    Originally posted by LaughingMan

I though the SD/MMC standard doesn't support IO functions. My friend has a treo 90 and he told me that he cannot add any IO devices into it. Is he just saying that because there isn't any SD devices out as of yet?
    I believe out of the box the Treo 90 didn't support IO. There is nothing in the hardware that prohibits it, though. Indeed they were (are?) planning on releasing a patch (if not already released) that would allow for such capabilities.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    I believe out of the box the Treo 90 didn't support IO. There is nothing in the hardware that prohibits it, though. Indeed they were (are?) planning on releasing a patch (if not already released) that would allow for such capabilities.
    I would like to read more on this stuff. Where can I find more info on this?
    joe
    The patch came out quite a while ago, and Treo 90s ship with it installed.

From the Handspring site:

What does the Treo 90 Updater 1.1 do?

Adds SD I/O support
    Adds Bluetooth support
    Eliminates the SanDisk 128MB SD formatting issue
    Adds other behind-the-scenes improvements, typo corrections and edits
    Changes the Palm OS version to Palm OSİ v.4.1H3.
    Who needs this updater?
    The Treo 90 Updater 1.1 improves devices manufactured during the first months of production. Later units include these features out of the box.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by awschwab
    The patch came out quite a while ago, and Treo 90s ship with it installed.

From the Handspring site:

What does the Treo 90 Updater 1.1 do?

Adds SD I/O support
    Adds Bluetooth support
    Eliminates the SanDisk 128MB SD formatting issue
    Adds other behind-the-scenes improvements, typo corrections and edits
    Changes the Palm OS version to Palm OSİ v.4.1H3.
    Who needs this updater?
    The Treo 90 Updater 1.1 improves devices manufactured during the first months of production. Later units include these features out of the box.
    I'm not sure whether my friend knows about this, but I will run it by him when I see him next week.

Thanks for the info, awschwab!
    joe
  9.    #9  
    ahh....thank you Kurt for clarifying the IO subject on the treo 90.

BTW - Does anyone know of an adapter that allows you to slide a SD/MMC card into a memory stick slot or vice versa?
    joe
    This would mean users of the new treo can have all these cool memory stick gadgets that Sony has released.
    What gadgets would these be? All of the real cool ones have never made it to production. The Wi-Fi SD card is probably closer to production than a Sony one.

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=4836

Other than WiFi, there is bluetooth for both, a camera for both, and I believe Sony has a GPS module, in which I believe there is an SD one coming out as well. I don't see any advantage unless I have a Sony video camera, digital camera and TV all with Memory Stick.
    Are WiFi's power requirements significant for handhelds?
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by Appleman

What gadgets would these be? All of the real cool ones have never made it to production. The Wi-Fi SD card is probably closer to production than a Sony one.

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=4836

Other than WiFi, there is bluetooth for both, a camera for both, and I believe Sony has a GPS module, in which I believe there is an SD one coming out as well. I don't see any advantage unless I have a Sony video camera, digital camera and TV all with Memory Stick.
    Thanks, Appleman! I need to clarify my remarks on memory stick gadgets. I meant to refer to the sony gadgets that use memory sticks for storage. I do not know of any memory stick devices that are in production. I have a laptop, a digital camera, a digital voice recorder, and a clie that use memory sticks and I would like to be able to use the same memory sticks on my treo.

Sony may not have the biggest market share in handhelds, but it certainly has a huge market share in consumer electronics. I believe that it is highly unlike for Sony to adopt the SD/MMC standard, so I think it is very likely that we have Memory Stick around for a long time. I just hope that the next treo would have an IO slot that accepts both SD/MMC and Memory Sticks.
    joe

... I have a laptop, a digital camera, a digital voice recorder, and a clie that use memory sticks and I would like to be able to use the same memory sticks on my treo. ...
    Same here, but I think it's unlikely. There's been very little support for Treo peripherals so far, and HS already has a history of pushing their own technology without enough third-party support: Springboard and the Treo connector, for example (they may call it innovation, I call it stupidity. Using Palm as an example,as soon as they came out with the Palm Universal Connector or MMC slots, we already had a few third party vendors supplying cables, expansions, keyboards, and cases. What do we have today for Treo? Zilch)

Sony may not have the biggest market share in handhelds, but it certainly has a huge market share in consumer electronics. I believe that it is highly unlike for Sony to adopt the SD/MMC standard, so I think it is very likely that we have Memory Stick around for a long time. I just hope that the next treo would have an IO slot that accepts both SD/MMC and Memory Sticks.
    So would I, but while I believe they'll probably ship a Treo using SD/MMC (the Treo 90 already has it), I wouldn't bet on MS/MS Pro. (In fact, the first device I've seen using both SD and MS was a camera, and that was a couple of weeks ago). I believe a "dual slot" for these technologies is impossible, and two separate slots take up too much space in a Treo device (which is already hard to make compact while keeping functionality)
    Originally posted by spyder

HS already has a history of pushing their own technology without enough third-party support: Springboard and the Treo connector, for example (they may call it innovation, I call it stupidity. Using Palm as an example,as soon as they came out with the Palm Universal Connector or MMC slots, we already had a few third party vendors supplying cables, expansions, keyboards, and cases. What do we have today for Treo? Zilch)
    While I would agree with the outcome, you have to remember that when the Springboard came out, there was zero expansion capabilities for Palm OS devices. They were the first ones to provide this. At the same time, all of Palm's devices were using different connectors as well. I don't think it's entirely fair to compare "old" technology to the new standard.
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by spyder
    In fact, the first device I've seen using both SD and MS was a camera, and that was a couple of weeks ago).
    So there is a device that accepts both formats. How would that be not feasible? Can there be a mechanism/adapter that would turn an SD/MMC stick into a MS/MS Pro stick (or vice versa)?
    joe
    Why not .. have 2 Treo(s) .. 1 w/Sony slot .. the other w/?? ... If HS developed someting w/Sony .. maybe a Clie-Treo hybrid, ??