1.    #1  
    Sorry for the stupid question; shopping between t-mobile and Sprint. Can anyone tell me the difference between a Treo 270 and 300? GSM vs CDMA?

Thanks,

Russ
    i am far from an expert on this. however a couple of differences: the 300 is a single band digital phone. you can only roam on digital networks. i don't think that applies to the 270. the 300 is ONLY a sprint phone at this time.

also, minor but fun, the 300 can play polyphonic ringtones. the 270 can't.

i'm sure there are other differences, but since nobody had answered you all day, i thought i would just chime in with my limited knowledge
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by aarons12
    [B]i am far from an expert on this. however a couple of differences: the 300 is a single band digital phone. you can only roam on digital networks. i don't think that applies to the 270. the 300 is ONLY a sprint phone at this time.

also, minor but fun, the 300 can play polyphonic ringtones. the 270 can't.[QUOTE]

Although the 270 does use multiple bands, it only works on GSM networks (no analog networks). The 300 also only works on Sprint and other PCS CDMA networks.
    ...in which I had some posts about my head-to-head experiences with the 270 and 300. Some of it is outdated (i.e. GPRS is now available on the 270, and the voice/data plans now available for both are different than they were then), but all in all, there's useful info there

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=26373
    The Treo 300 has only "crippled" SMS. It can only receive SMS messages out of the box, it can not send them. (This is Sprint's fault, not Handspring. Sprint has its own proprietary SMS system.)

Also, unlike the Treo 270, the 300 does not ship with an email application. There are plenty of good ones out there, and some (like Eudora) are even free.

Additionally, (although this one goes hand in hand with the entire GSM vs. CDMA bit) the Treo 300 uses 1xRTT, whereas the 270 uses GPRS. For now, 1xRTT is much faster than a similarly configured Treo using GPRS.

Now, with all that being said, it may sound like I was bashing the Treo 300 a little bit. I own a Treo 300, my best friend owns a 270. He hates his 270 and loves my 300. He seems to have all sorts of troubles with his phone and with Cingular. I have never had a problem with my 300 and Sprint.