Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
    Down loaded and installed apps this morning 03-16-2015, 5:00 CDST and 7:30.
    I can still reach the Palm servers to download any doctor files I don't have, which are only the old ones. Tried to download the one for the Pre 3 and it successfully attempted.
    Tungsten E, Palm T|X, Treo 700p, Pixi, Pre Plus, Pre 2, HP TouchPad 16GB, LG G2, Samsung Gear 2 Neo, LG G Flex2 Volcano Red, Samsung Gear Live, LG Smart TV 32LF595B
    I downloaded an app just to see, 3/16 7:40 CDT. I think that guy at HP is coming in a little later....

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    NickM99 likes this.
    Now an hour into 17th March here (E.Australia) and all App Cat functions still up & running.
    Gotta love HP's undying propensity for BS anyway.. even to the very last!
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 03/16/2015 at 09:37 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    NickM99 and Ranoulph like this.
    well... maybe they'll forget having those servers on. Given how many there still remember webos, and the cuts, it would be funny if they disposed of the guy that should have managed them (thus also turned off at the scheduled time).

Then maybe in some years.. "wait, what are those small vmware instances with the weird names"

lol
    Mutoidi, NickM99 and Grabber5.0 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Now an hour into 17th March here (E.Australia) and all App Cat functions still up & running.
    Gotta love HP's undying propensity for BS anyway.. even to the very last!
    Mine its up and running still no problems with the "App Catalog" showing up on my touchpad and palm pre 3, tried downloading some free apps and they downloaded perfectly fine too. And also search for apps by their names, it work fine too.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    all servers I can still connect to! If HP did forget it might be the best move they have ever done lol
    After noon Pacific time on the 16th and I'm still able to download apps. Apparently HP has bigger fish to fry.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    susanhilary likes this.
    time for the jedi mumbo jumbo "and these are not the servers you're looking for" ?
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo View Post
    P.S.: Do we know if our devices will get hung if they try to backup and can't reach the server?
    Doesn't look like it. The TP Go I bought a couple of months ago still had the QA guy's profile and e-mail address at palm.com on it and hadn't backed up in over a year (to the QA server), and it still worked fine.
    to me it looks like they're gone now...
    Maybe the HP guy took a sick day. I just downloaded Pi Master. (7:51 pm CDT). Fun app!
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    well... maybe they'll forget having those servers on. Given how many there still remember webos, and the cuts, it would be funny if they disposed of the guy that should have managed them (thus also turned off at the scheduled time).

Then maybe in some years.. "wait, what are those small vmware instances with the weird names"

lol
    A friend of mine told me they had 4 servers that were running for 5 years and no one used them and when asked to have access to them, admin did not have the right passwords. So for a while no one dared to pull the trigger because they had no idea what would be the impact. After a week of investigation, they found out they were of no use by anyone. Hope this is the case for HP Palm servers.
    NickM99 and Mutoidi like this.
    As of just now 12:30 AM 3/17, backups still working.

Happy St Patty's Day to All!

Have a green beer and drink to WebOS!
    deibski likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nideiki View Post
    A friend of mine told me they had 4 servers that were running for 5 years and no one used them and when asked to have access to them, admin did not have the right passwords. So for a while no one dared to pull the trigger because they had no idea what would be the impact. After a week of investigation, they found out they were of no use by anyone. Hope this is the case for HP Palm servers.
    Yes.. this is probably closest to the truth ~ they have no idea which servers to pull anyway!!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    I think they do know which servers - it isn't as if we can still purchase apps. I think the most likely answer is simply that HP have laid-off loads of people and webOS is now such a low priority that they just haven't got around to it. Good for us, no need to complain...

Sssshh!

Say nothing!
    I still have access - 11:44AM March 17, 2015.

I think the deadline was more a warning, and that they will start shutting down the servers and access.

I am sure its not as simple as unplugging a server.
    Quote Originally Posted by batterboy View Post
    a funny (not really) thing happened just before leaving the house 30 min ago. I went to my TP to check Facebook. Noticed the device was in airplane mode. Switched to WiFi, checked Facebook, and set the tablet back on the charger. Heard a series of beeps as I walked away. Went back to it to find it nearly completely wiped! Internet and phone apps. Some system. Nothing else. I thought, "I have all my ipk's, but I'm so done with this device." went for my coat, then came back to have one last look. All apps were back... Although not in the order. Haven't checked functionality or for data loss yet.

I've got enough stress elsewhere, thank you...but not switching platforms anytime soon.

(greetings from Asbury Park on a Pre3)
    A similar thing happened to my pre 2 early this morning. I woke up to my phone rebooting, when it came on the quick launch bar was empty except for the calendar app. Trying to open the launcher made the phone unresponsive. I did a hard reboot and things we working again, although my quick launch bar was still basically empty. Also, some of the apps thought they were being run for the first time. (the app catalog worked, but it showed me the EULA first, GuttenPodder forgot all of my sync settings but not my actual feeds, etc...)

I'm not sure if its related to the shutdown or simply a sign of an aging chunk of hardware.

On the up side, I was able to download something from the app catalog, so I really don't know what is happening.
    There have been various reports of something like that happening over the years, so it's hard to say at this point. Any logs that might hint at why may still be present but not for long. Four previous messages files are kept at any one time and roll off one by one as the log file rotates based on size.
    Good point! looks like there are /var/log/messages* files for the last 24(ish) hours. I just copied them off and will look though them later. Any other log files that you think might be important?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast