Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By homer14z
  • 1 Post By boovish
  1.    #1  
    With the recent news from TCL, we can hope a new Palm device comes out in 2015. What's your wishlist for such a device?

---------------------

Device type: UMPC phone hybrid (remember the hackndev people from the PDA days and how good it felt being able to run Linux on a Palm?) Or the way Nokia N900 works?
    Something like this is great:
    http://www.umpcportal.com/gallery/d/...PPhone+_2_.jpg

2 USB ports and one HDMI port (connect various peripherals like mouse, keyboard, printers, monitors, even graphic cards). Turn your phone into a low power desktop while at home. Want to do work on the go without carrying a heavy laptop? Tablets aren't pocketable? UMPC is the continuation of the old skool PDA, plus add a phone on top of that.

Pure Linux, everything else is too stripped down (and why reinvent the wheel?). Take WebOS gesture UI and turn it into a window manager for Linux (desktop apps without window borders, while multitasking is handled like in WebOS UI). Use Xorg as the display server. Add a tiling window mode for hardware keyboard users (and it can be useful to have 2 or more apps on the screen at the same time, e. g. watch a video and type out notes in a memo app at the same time). Linux has plenty of apps available and is quite configurable. Keep the "desktop environment" (the phone's GNOME, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, you get it, lightweight variant) simple so it doesn't eat battery or consume RAM with graphic bloat.

Make it useful both for the average Joe (have the phone features easily accessible by using the touch-based portion of the UI) and skilled tech people (X11 terminal, SSH, bash scripting, compilers, vim editor, etc). Make GUI frontends for .conf files, so that transferring settings to another phone is as easy as copying the .conf files (again, a GUI tool can be made available).

Ubuntu and Debian are good candidates (apt-get goodness, and Ubuntu Software Center for touch-based UI).

CPU: x86 Intel Atom
    So you can run Adobe Flash, WINE, Teamviewer, VMWare, all x86 Linux apps (desktop productivity apps, web server, mail server, etc) and games (Steam anyone?).
    ARM arch is good too, but there are less Linux apps available.

RAM: At least 1 GB. (It's enough to run LibreOffice, Firefox with a few tabs, GIMP, SMplayer, plenty of terminal windows and there's more left just in case).

Storage: At least 16GB plus MicroSD.

Screen: At least 4", resistive (cheaper, more durable, supports multi-touch nowadays) and a stylus too. Gesture area.

Keyboard: Full miniature QWERTY keyboard with Ctrl, Alt, F1... F12, etc keys. You should be able to use regular Linux apps with no modification.

Phone case: Hard plastic (Nokia N900) or metal (LifeDrive case / Sony Clie NX70v), it should be able to survive drops onto concrete. Slider (N900 / Pre) or clamshell (Clie NX, case protects the screen) mechanism to make it more compact.

Camera, flashlight, microphone and other standard features.

Basically, a device that resembles old PDAs in productivity features (pure Linux for that, since we have the horsepower), and the slickness of WebOS phone interface (without the WebOS itself).
    I am still expecting anything they release to be basic hardware like existing product lines, for emerging markets.

That Cadillac you just described sounds like am impossible dream. But keep praying!
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Also I'm pretty sure they'll run Android. If they do "Smartphones" at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure they'll run Android. If they do "Smartphones" at all.

At this point nothing would surprise me. But, they picked up the Palm brand for name recognition. So why run a non-palm OS? one that would clearly increase their chances of getting lost in the already over populated Android phone market. idk
    who cares?? there's still a few pre 3's I can buy!
    Quote Originally Posted by homer14z View Post
    who cares?? there's still a few pre 3's I can buy!

I would assume the people that want WebOS to live on would care. No matter how many Pre 3s are out there eventually all WebOS phones would get to a point they won't work anymore. Just sayin.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I would assume the people that want WebOS to live on would care. No matter how many Pre 3s are out there eventually all WebOS phones would get to a point they won't work anymore. Just sayin.
    yeah...sarcasm doesn't show up well on the net!

But I think I remember this group saying webos was out for them, so I think they are just using the palm name for instant "cred'.. they will probably make a "new" android phone..or watch, or whatever they are in it for. hopefully I'm wrong there. My eggs are in the other baskets--LG, enyo, ports, luneos, etc. to come up with a longer lasting solution for us.
    Garfonso likes this.
    Yes. If you are going to call yourself 'Palm' you either need to offer PalmOS, webOs or something new (and interesting). Yes, Palm did use windows mobile for a while, but it was on reasonable hardware I think.

It's wrong to judge prior to any product launch, but I suspect there will be an Android 'commodity' phone out of this - maybe with some odd feature to call it innovative or an annoying skin.

If they come up with something new and different - regardless of any connection to the old Palm, then good luck to them, but I suspect it's window dressing.
    I think that phone sounds useless. I don't want some underpowered linux desktop. I want a webOS phone with a built in keyboard
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    dkirker likes this.
    They can just use webos ideas, nobody is likely to sue. For a 2015 release its kinda late for ideas, they must have something already
    I'm expecting no more than an a pda -shaped android with a hole for a stylus MAYBE.

Which would be stupid for them because they have their own pixi phone, but no one innovates anymore. They just copy each other and let marketing figure out how to sell it
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Thing I don't understand (and maybe this should be in a LG thread and not in this one) is WebOS was made for phones. LG is putting in TVs and watches. lol That's good, but it was made for phones. You listening Palm?