Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    Ever since, I've owned Palm Pixi Plus for the first few days back in '10 on Verizon Wireless was completely psyched about the Palm's OS and the bright promise future to be viable alternative to Apple's iOS, Google's Android. I was thrilled that I could join this community to share passion for WebOS, to learn new things and learn the good ways of Preware with all its good patch/hacks to improve my phone. After many months with Palm Pixi phone, I decided to upgrade to the faster Palm Pre 2 with its much faster performance 1Ghz chip, more RAM than my Pixi along with a newer version of WebOS v2.0. I have witnessed excitement, when we heard HP purchasing Palm with word that they were going to invest heavily into Palm's WebOS making it a market leader in the mobile industry with its innovation of wireless charging and maybe some WebOSBook sorta laptop OS much like Google's ChromeBook. Long story short, I moved into a latest WebOS Palm Pre 3 phone "WebOS last phone on the market, after HP killed WebOS hardware" bought it cheap when prices went down at Amazon. Enjoyed every bit of it, until the very end for about almost two years and then sadly moved to Android OS. I wanted to kindly share my views and experiences into a new world or better yet a new OS along with its frustrations compared to WebOS..

Android Pros

1) All services of Google(Gmail, hangouts, etc) baked in, obviously its google so its well integrated.
    2) Integration of the OS with Google Maps, traffic information right on your phone before your morning commute
    3) Developer supporting their apps with regular updates along with ability to rent/buy movies or music.
    4) Google Search combined with Google Now, makes it a delight to use the OS.
    5) Level of customization is good, but sometimes confuses instead of simplifying things when navigation the OS
    6) Widgets are very nice, sometimes useful little windows that you can peek into without opening an app.
    7) Having the ability to get OS updates is good too, despite carriers slowness to release them.
    8) Background notification are sweet, not having to worry of having an app open you can still be notified of upcoming messages.
    9) The updated Chrome browser is good, way to browse websites

Android Cons

1) The OS simplicity trumps over the mess of Android customizable skins made by manufacturers.
    2) Gestures makes navigating the OS a delight, swipe away or swipe up to access menus.
    3) Icons are well design and the WebOS app design language correlates with OS making it more complete feel than a distant one like on Android. (It took Google until Lollipop update to get that)
    4) WebOS cards and multitasking is fantastic, beats Android multitasking window by mile.
    5) Notification are way simpler in WebOS than having to drag down notification center to view them.
    6) Gesture home button on WebOS makes things easier to navigate than having to press a button on a screen.
    7) Wireless charging ability wins by a mile than Android half-bake attempt to copy off WebOS Touchstone.
    8) Preware and WebOS community you can't beat that.
    9) Exhibition mode on WebOS is just super awesome, is Widgets on Android but on steroids.
    10) Tap to share with TouchPad and Pre 3, still amazes and shocks people when they use to see it when I hang out at Starbucks. (Copied by manufacturers but not perfect copy).
    11) Status bar on TouchPad 3.0 with its tappable notifications or widgets to change a song without leaving an app is just sweet of multitasking.
    Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 02/16/2015 at 01:56 AM.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Rnp and frantid like this.
    Thanks for your thoughts. I have an android htc something now that I will be using when I repair my pre2. It has no chance of being my main phone, I can't live without stacks and touchstone in my car for sure, and some other stuff.

But I know that an unsupported phone is a pain sometimes, especially the browser and apps stop working one by one

We will all have to give up eventually I suppose, everything is just for a while, right?
    I have a note2 that I use at times. It has a different provider sim in it, that others with that provider can call for free. My biggest gripe is that it takes too many steps to make a call. If I have a favorite contact open in the phone app I still have to open that contact and then press the call icon. I must have android configured wrong, it can't be meant to function this way.

WebOS is so much easier. Just tap a favorite or search and tap.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    I have a note2 that I use at times. It has a different provider sim in it, that others with that provider can call for free. My biggest gripe is that it takes too many steps to make a call. If I have a favorite contact open in the phone app I still have to open that contact and then press the call icon. I must have android configured wrong, it can't be meant to function this way.

WebOS is so much easier. Just tap a favorite or search and tap.
    Webos and I assume blackberry still has speed dial shortcuts, just assign "S" for Sam and hard press the key. But there is also Siri and such with voice commands but talking into a phone is novel but knida silly sometimes to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Ever since, I've owned Palm Pixi Plus for the first few days back in '10 on Verizon Wireless was completely psyched about the Palm's OS and the bright promise future to be viable alternative to Apple's iOS, Google's Android. I was thrilled that I could join this community to share passion for WebOS, to learn new things and learn the good ways of Preware with all its good patch/hacks to improve my phone. After many months with Palm Pixi phone, I decided to upgrade to the faster Palm Pre 2 with its much faster performance 1Ghz chip, more RAM than my Pixi along with a newer version of WebOS v2.0. I have witnessed excitement, when we heard HP purchasing Palm with word that they were going to invest heavily into Palm's WebOS making it a market leader in the mobile industry with its innovation of wireless charging and maybe some WebOSBook sorta laptop OS much like Google's ChromeBook. Long story short, I moved into a latest WebOS Palm Pre 3 phone "WebOS last phone on the market, after HP killed WebOS hardware" bought it cheap when prices went down at Amazon. Enjoyed every bit of it, until the very end for about almost two years and then sadly moved to Android OS. I wanted to kindly share my views and experiences into a new world or better yet a new OS along with its frustrations compared to WebOS..

Android Pros

1) All services of Google(Gmail, hangouts, etc) baked in, obviously its google so its well integrated.
    2) Integration of the OS with Google Maps, traffic information right on your phone before your morning commute
    3) Developer supporting their apps with regular updates along with ability to rent/buy movies or music.
    4) Google Search combined with Google Now, makes it a delight to use the OS.
    5) Level of customization is good, but sometimes confuses instead of simplifying things when navigation the OS
    6) Widgets are very nice, sometimes useful little windows that you can peek into without opening an app.
    7) Having the ability to get OS updates is good too, despite carriers slowness to release them.
    8) Background notification are sweet, not having to worry of having an app open you can still be notified of upcoming messages.
    9) The updated Chrome browser is good, way to browse websites

Android Cons

1) The OS simplicity trumps over the mess of Android customizable skins made by manufacturers.
    2) Gestures makes navigating the OS a delight, swipe away or swipe up to access menus.
    3) Icons are well design and the WebOS app design language correlates with OS making it more complete feel than a distant one like on Android. (It took Google until Lollipop update to get that)
    4) WebOS cards and multitasking is fantastic, beats Android multitasking window by mile.
    5) Notification are way simpler in WebOS than having to drag down notification center to view them.
    6) Gesture home button on WebOS makes things easier to navigate than having to press a button on a screen.
    7) Wireless charging ability wins by a mile than Android half-bake attempt to copy off WebOS Touchstone.
    8) Preware and WebOS community you can't beat that.
    9) Exhibition mode on WebOS is just super awesome, is Widgets on Android but on steroids.
    10) Tap to share with TouchPad and Pre 3, still amazes and shocks people when they use to see it when I hang out at Starbucks. (Copied by manufacturers but not perfect copy).
    11) Status bar on TouchPad 3.0 with its tappable notifications or widgets to change a song without leaving an app is just sweet of multitasking.
    Thanks for posting your observations. I was just thinking about heading to my local Sprint store today to look into replacing my fourth Pre- since I won't be able to activate any more. I've enjoyed my Pre phones other than the navigation issues since Sprint dumped Telenav (haven't been able to get Navit to work), no Google Calendar sync and PDF rendering problems. While I can get around the navigation the old fashioned way by using the Bing Maps app, I miss the talking navigation. I'm considering Blackberry or iPhone. The Android UI is still too cumbersome for me.
    I didn't know we couldn't activate any new pre on sprint after the shutdown. You mean I am doomed if I forget to pay my phone bill?
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I as a matter of principle don't use any Google products or other spyware.

It really sucks that the two conglomerates put so many companies in the industry out of business
    650p | 755p | Centro | Pre | Pixi | Pre 2 | Pre 3 | 2 Touchpads
    tracks914 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I didn't know we couldn't activate any new pre on sprint after the shutdown. You mean I am doomed if I forget to pay my phone bill?
    This is entirely up to Sprint, not HP

Sprint should take of registering your device in their database

The HP server shutdown only effects your HP/Palm webos profile.

The same for Verizon.

A GSM device has a IMEI, which is the unique devicenumber, which then combines with the SIM.
    The telecom provider then allows that IMEI and SIM to make phone calls etc.

Now for Sprint/Verizon, for a CDMA device, those have some kind of internal number as well, do not know what it is called, for GSM, it is like in 95% of the world an automated process, but for CDMA, adding that number to the providers database, is a manual process.

So as far as I understand, activation of the CDMA part lies with the telephonyprovider.
    That is not the case. The only activation that won't be possible is the Palm/HP part. The normal bypass activation methods are just for bypassing that part and will still work fine.
    The difference between notifications on Android and webOS is basically that in webOS, they come from the bottom, and in Android they come from the top.

Lollipop style is basically webOS 1.x / Mojo style. Rounded floating buttons everywhere. Usually sadly obscuring something that you want to see lol .. Found myself disliking that part of both webOS and Android UI.

Exhibition mode is the same as Android's Daydream mode. webOS has nothing like Widgets.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    The difference between notifications on Android and webOS is basically that in webOS, they come from the bottom, and in Android they come from the top.

Lollipop style is basically webOS 1.x / Mojo style. Rounded floating buttons everywhere. Usually sadly obscuring something that you want to see lol .. Found myself disliking that part of both webOS and Android UI.

Exhibition mode is the same as Android's Daydream mode. webOS has nothing like Widgets.
    I like notifications at the bottom better because its easier. That's why navigation buttons are always at the bottom. (also on a desktop I like menus on the right, as a right hander its easier to me but convention says they go on the left.)

Anyways I never enjoyed going way up there to pull down that shade thing. And should be able to get rid of it from the top too.

I have heard Josh on the verge complain that notifications on the bottom gets in the way (or has the potential to) of navigation, but has not been a concern to me thus far.

Enyo vs. Mojo is a wash to me. Enyo look good but text always seem so tiny for some reason
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    I have heard Josh on the verge complain that notifications on the bottom gets in the way (or has the potential to) of navigation, but has not been a concern to me thus far.
    Just because of poor thought system interface -- tapping notifications can easily result in tapping one of android three iconic buttons. We have no such problem with swipe clearly different from tap.

BTW, what I most hate in Android UI is I have to target tiny buttons for most frequently used commands: home, back, app switcher. Maybe it's easier on phones, where they fill screen width, but on tablet about 80% of button bar is wasted...
    T5, CliƩ NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Pre2, Nexus7@LuneOS
    I don't care whether the notifications come from the top or the bottom, but having a row of notification icons that take up space, as well as a top row with information icons that also take up space, is kind of annoying :-D

Really, there are two big things that I'm finding, as I move more of my stuff over to Android 5 .. despite how buggy and frustrating Synergy was, for a guy like me with multiple accounts on virtually everything, it was super nice to be able to have all of my yahoo, gmail, skype, everything else accounts. Since very few things work with Google's whatever Synergy like thing it has, it's generally only possible to use one account with each app. The other thing, is of course, true multitasking. My webOS TouchPad was always able to load 3 or 4 web pages in different cards... in Android 5, Chrome can barely load 2 small web pages without losing one of them. Of course, this has to do with the fact that Android and Chrome take up a crap ton more memory than webOS and it's browser. :-D

Outside of Chrome, Android multitasking actually isn't too bad, on TouchPad, or better on a 1.5GB RAM device.. it's still pretty unpredictable as to what you'll be running at any given point in time... but when not using Chrome, you're usually swapping between 2 or 3 at most apps, and it can usually keep those in memory.

All the other cool stuff, Android has pretty much directly aped it now, and it all even looks the same. I just wish the Android card view could be modified to only show actually running cards, instead of being a history of everything you've ever done.
    Last edited by eblade; 02/17/2015 at 07:02 AM.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I get Eblade's point. If one does not like to have the row off icons taking up space then webOS effectively forces the user to act on the notifications. So if one knows there are notifications that should be enough. That's where a sort of hub would be nice to have also.

I don't mind the space, I like it how it is. What I don't like is that it only shows the most recent one. So if more that one, its necessary to open the app to see who else called for example. At least we manage to patch email to change that behavior.

I have seen iphone and android with some vertical things that could be considered an ape of stacks, but I like webOS method way better.
    Last edited by laingman; 02/18/2015 at 06:26 AM.
    vgg likes this.
    The quarter inch at the top and bottom is remarkably efficient IMHO. look at this guy's screen:
    http://i.imgur.com/FruYW.png

I like the device dashboard on top, and the notifiers separate on bottom. But I'm one of those people that handles things as they occur, closes things when they're done. My phone is usually like the left image. But I appreciate the icons expand to full readable notifications on the lock screen.

If I were to make a gripe about the screen, it would only be to wish for the viewable display to expand further out to the edges of the gorilla glass. There's a lot of useless black around the perimeter.

Wtf? CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHY I CAN'T JUST PUT THE ADDRESS I COPIED FOR THIS PICTURE WITHIN IMG TAGS AND HAVE IT DISPLAY?? THE PIC IS ALREADY DISPLAYED IN POST ON THIS FORUM!!!

I GOT IT HERE: Sprint Franken Pre 2 with webOS 2.2.4 WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS FORUM THAT IS DIFFERENT THAN OTHERS I POST PICS IN??? BEYOND ANNOYING.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 02/17/2015 at 05:02 PM.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Today is my last day using my FrankenPre 2. It was a great run, almost 5 years + 1 year of original Pre.

With the HP services going dark...I decided my "stopgap" is going to be a Lumia until LuneOS is a little further along in development (as in, I can drop it on a pretty good smartphone and use it as my daily). I develop .NET, which is the main reasoning behind my decision. I develop that platform considerably better than I ever did webOS...but I still prefer using the webOS UI over anything else. What I hoped for was that someone would directly copy Luna and keep the services up to date...but it wasn't to be. Unless LG wants to make me go absolutely crazy. It would probably cost a lot on their side to support the services and get it picked up by carriers without a real recent example of what the demand would be. Still, if I were a LG webOS TV owner and had one of those fancy webOS watches from CES, I'd probably want it on my phone and tablet as well.

So there's that twinkle of hope. Until then, I get to fumble with this godawful Windows Phone interface. I've been developing for smartphones and PDAs since the 90's and Microsoft has NEVER really "gotten" mobile UIs. Always clumsy no matter what they do. But at least this thing works and has some apps that have been kept mostly up to date. My last app update on webOS was probably a year ago and it was probably a year before that. And it was (I think) just a twitter app and some other app I never use.
    I am not ready to quit on webos yet. For me there's only three major problems with webos phones: The browser has trouble with some sites, no real pdf functionality, and need a bigger screen sometimes.

I have a regular job and I also have a side business for which I need those business type things, so I bought my pre a companion, one of these: http://wap.ebay.com/Pages/ViewItem.a...0&nbcol=0%nUll

Its a fine piece of machinery so far, I get to install my favorite desktop browser and even use a mouse if I want to. And free tether is so fast on it, much faster than my laptop, don't know why. It stays in the car for when I need to do something my Pre can't do

I am good to go for a while longer
    I use Smart office for pdf - works great.

The browser still seems to work pretty well at displaying pages - it's that reload issue! If that could be fixed or... I given up hoping for a new browser!

LuneOS already has a new browser and pdf reader.
    I took the plunge and bought a Blackberry Z10 today. I'm told it is the closest out there to WebOS. I'll let you all know. I have a Galaxy with Android... and don't care for it.
    It's been two years since I put down my frankinPre which still sits charging on my desk to remind me of the good old days. My TP is still working fine and gets used mainly as my **** hub

It's sad what's become of webOS but I like the promising open webOS watch I've been reading about lately and the old Marta "webOS for Life" keeps the fire burning, But it's odd to me that most of our faithful decided that Android was the logical way to go after jumping ship?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/14/2015 at 02:36 PM.
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast