1.    #1  
    On the South Korea news we can see Samsung just started to launch its TVs with the Tizen OS an open source promoted by Samsung, Intel, Huawei and other global tech players. And just launched in India its first Tizen powered smartphone.

Quote:

The company has said it will continue to promote the Tizen operating system by eventually applying it to all other consumer electronics for a fully connected platform.

Will then LG be encouraged to make an WebOS smartphone ASAP to compete with Samsung ?

The News:

Samsung starts sales of Tizen-powered TVs in home market

The newly launched models are curved SUHD TVs, the latest version of the high-end product that touts a far brighter display compared to traditional Ultra HD or organic light-emitting diode screens. The company said an SUHD TV can display over 1 billion colors, 64 times more than the existing models.

Samsung released it in four sizes -- 88, 78, 65, and 55 inches. The price tag on the 55-inch version is 5.49 million won ($5,038).

Samsung's UHD TVs were first showcased at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas last month and caught eyes with their quantum-dot technology that uses a semiconductor nanostructure to improve brightness, visibility and power efficiency of the displays.

The technology, which Samsung refers to as "nanocrystal technology," does not use cadmium, which is cited as an environmental concern.

The SUHD lineup is expected to be launched in the U.S., Europe and other major markets in the near future, but Samsung did not provide details.

"Currently, high-end models take up 10 percent of our combined shipment of TVs, which accounts for around 25 to 30 percent in revenue," said Kim Hyun-suk, who heads Samsung's display division. "We expect the SUHD lineup will be similar to that."

With Samsung planning to sell around 60 million TVs in 2015, the estimated sales of SUHD models are expected to reach 6 million units.

"Although we expect foreign-exchange fluctuations will affect performances this year, we will make efforts to bolster revenue and profits on the back of the premium-level products," Kim added.

The company has said it will continue to promote the Tizen operating system by eventually applying it to all other consumer electronics for a fully connected platform.

Tizen is an open-source operating system for smart devices, promoted Samsung has been playing a leading role in its development, also launching the first Tizen-powered smartphone in India last month. (Yonhap)

Samsung starts sales of Tizen-powered TVs in home market
    LG has only released officially webOS TV's, they have a SmartWatch Demoed via a car company that runs Open webOS... But will LG release a Phone with webOS (that would be great), but I think they will play it safe and stay the course with Android (sucks for us)...
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    (my emphasis)

These are big words and ambitions and I believe there has still not been an official releases of a Tizen phone (See Z1 below). I think Samsung have been offering their own versions of core Android apps for some time as insurance (as Tizen may be partly an insurance policy)

I think manufacturers are looking at Apple's profit margin and realising that the helping hand from Google is a helping hand for Google in revenue terms. But Google's eco-system is so big, it's hard to walk away from. LG have done well with webOS TVs & I imagine that this has lead Samsung to put Tizen on their TVs - there's a significant resemblance. In 'Internet of things' terms, there's a realisation that other UI's and apps are needed and the only real requirement is connectivity, so these are good places to deploy your own OS.

Samsung have teased Tizen phones and phones are part of 'all other consumer electronics', so in many ways threaten to go their own way far more than LG. But if they follow through with this plan, this will encourage LG to do the same.

For both though, eco-system is key - apps and services. Either supplied from the manufacturer or the ability to connect to third-party services. Samsung may actually be ahead in terms of apps, but the web-app / Enyo advantage may work for LG and both will no doubt be careful to build the eco-system first before releasing key products like phones.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 02/09/2015 at 02:15 AM.
    at this point i think its safe to say you will never see webos on a phone again.
    Quote Originally Posted by smooth3006 View Post
    at this point i think its safe to say you will never see webos on a phone again.
    I was going to contradict you, but you did it for me:
    Quote Originally Posted by smooth3006 View Post
    just buy a cheap nexus 4 and load luneos on it.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    (my emphasis)

These are big words and ambitions and I believe there has still not been an official releases of a Tizen phone. I think Samsung have been offering their own versions of core Android apps for some time as insurance (as Tizen may be partly an insurance policy)

I think manufacturers are looking at Apple's profit margin and realising that the helping hand from Google is a helping hand for Google in revenue terms. But Google's eco-system is so big, it's hard to walk away from. LG have done well with webOS TVs & I imagine that this has lead Samsung to put Tizen on their TVs - there's a significant resemblance. In 'Internet of things' terms, there's a realisation that other UI's and apps are needed and the only real requirement is connectivity, so these are good places to deploy your own OS.

Samsung have teased Tizen phones and phones are part of 'all other consumer electronics', so in many ways threaten to go their own way far more than LG. But if they follow through with this plan, this will encourage LG to do the same.

For both though, eco-system is key - apps and services. Either supplied from the manufacturer or the ability to connect to third-party services. Samsung may actually be ahead in terms of apps, but the web-app / Enyo advantage may work for LG and both will no doubt be careful to build the eco-system first before releasing key products like phones.
    The Z1 Samsung Tizen smartphone is already in India and was released in January 2015

Samsung Z1 - Full phone specifications

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_z1_c...news-11109.php