Like Tree12Likes
  • 4 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 4 Post By mtiberio
  • 4 Post By bluenote
  1.    #1  
    According to webos internals
    What I like about this -- someone protested... Someone with clout. An enterprise customer? What about those medical people using webos plastic devices in the operating room? Or those countries in Africa ..,

Even though only 2 months, gives the lie that webOs which has been dead for 3 years, is not playing a significant role for someone big enough to be heard at HP
    Sounded like a reschedule for backlog, not backlash. The disruption to users is not so great that it would override a scheduled outage.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Sounded like a reschedule for backlog, not backlash. The disruption to users is not so great that it would override a scheduled outage.
    Would not be a whole two months and also exactly two months delay if just backlog

Edit They would just reschedule for some random time and not tell anyone -- 17 days later things would fail ( but we told you official date was jan 15 so you had ample time...)
    Last edited by bluenote; 01/13/2015 at 08:29 AM.
    Here is the actual notice I received yesterday.
    -----------------------------------------------------

Reminder: webOS Cloud Services to end soon

NEW: There will be a short extension period for cloud services support of webOS devices.

As previously announced, cloud services support for webOS devices was to end on January 15, 2015. To assist customers in transitioning in new services, we have decided to extend the shutdown date by two months. The new end date is March 15, 2015

We appreciate our customers’ loyalty to the webOS platform. But now, more than three (3) years after the last device was sold, only a small fraction of the devices are still connecting. Therefore, the time has come to shut down the services.

All devices running webOS will continue to run after the cloud services are terminated. However, they will no longer be able to:

Download new apps or updates. The HP App Catalog will be unavailable after the shutdown
    Backup or restore devices from the cloud
    Setup new devices
    Recover lost passwords

What this means to you:

The HP App Catalog no longer supports new app purchases as of November 1, 2014.
    Updates may have been posted by developers until November 10, 2014 and users can download any available updates until the services shut down
    You should make arrangements to backup or transfer your contacts, etc.prior to the service shutdown on March 15, 2015
    You will no longer be able to backup, restore, reset or initialize a webOS device as of March 15, 2015.

There will be additional reminders as the new date for final shutdown approaches. An FAQ can be found at https://developer.palm.com/content/r...velop/faq.html

Timeline

10/15/14 Announcement to users and developers COMPLETE
    11/1/14 New app purchases end COMPLETE
    11/10/14 App update submissions end
    3/15/15 Public shutdown of services

HP webOS Cloud Services
    Translation:

"There will be a short delay in the coming two months, whilst we get our sh*t together to finally wipe our hands clean of webOS, whilst at the same time avoiding crashing the rest of our $ystem$!"

Hhmmm!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Would not be a whole two months and also exactly two months delay if just backlog

Edit They would just reschedule for some random time and not tell anyone -- 17 days later things would fail ( but we told you official date was jan 15 so you had ample time...)
    I can definitely imagine someone being busier with another more critical project, like an INSTALL, and they want a large window of time before being bothered with a decommission project that is technically irrelevant.

And no one does anything in a DC "without telling anyone". You never know what is linked, or unknown to be co-hosted, etc. Power downs are monitored for their effect on the rest of the load, etc. Decomms are still critical DC projects, just not as important as installs and power ups.

This scenario sounds far more likely to me, than suggesting that some one with enough" clout" pulled some strings to postpone such a large announcement.

Also, I personally can't imagine anyone with that kind of "clout" would care about this obsolete technology we love so much.

At HP, and to the majority of the WORLD, It's obsolete man! 3 YEARS since the last device sold! No one cares but the people in forum.
    TJ, you have a great point. But you must have not seen what kind of prehistoric devices are maintained by the medical community, so bluenote's opinion of this does have a lot of merit.
    There's medical devices that use webOS and synch to HP?

Can I get a picture of one please?

Actually, I can imagine it...

Email from HP: "Reminder: webOS Cloud Services to end soon
    What this means to you: your pace maker will cease on Mar15. You have an additional 60 days to live."
    Kai00, Remy X, Rnp and 1 others like this.
  9.    #9  
    What I meant by "not tell anyone" is not make a public email announcement of the delay to the end users. If no one cares, better to just leave it at Jan 15th and if things work a little longer, then happy surprise but HP told you already not to count on it. Of course internal HP would be notified of any exact change dates.
    More on PalmOS I think. As one of the first handheld computers and smartphones, there was a lot of useful stuff for medics and some complaint about the problems transitioning to webOS, although the Classisc app has a use here.

http://palmdoc.net/

http://palmdoc.net/index.php/old-pal...ust-have-apps/
    beware the ides of march
  12.    #12  
    here webOs used in radiology:
    WebOS TouchPad chosen for Stanford Radiology room, how cool is that!
    (the later me quotes earlier me)
    I wouldn't think keeping the catalog up for 2 more months would have much, if any bearing on the medical profession using webos.
    They can't register new devices, so the catalog would only serve the purpose for downloading apps, which these medical professions already have.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I wouldn't think keeping the catalog up for 2 more months would have much, if any bearing on the medical profession using webos.
    They can't register new devices, so the catalog would only serve the purpose for downloading apps, which these medical professions already have.
    The same server that houses Palm Profiles, (ps.palmws.com) which are necessary for device activation, also handles the App Catalog feeds and the purchase/selection process... while CDNs host the actual app files. So the Catalog is only hanging on because it's baked into the Profile system, not because someone actively decided to keep it running

So if the medical Doctors need to Doctor their devices, they have two more months to activate and/or to learn how to do "DrSkipped FirstUse"
    Good point.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    here webOs used in radiology:
    WebOS TouchPad chosen for Stanford Radiology room, how cool is that!
    (the later me quotes earlier me)
    the cited Dr. is on linked in. i'm going to email him and ask if the devices are still in use. what an interesting story.

no i'm not. apparently i'd have to upgrade (pay) my linked in acct. first. i'm not THAT interested.

but i still doubt highly that anyone contacted hp and strong-armed them to postpone a scheduled shutdown. that just sounds un-possible. but i'm only talking likelihood. strange and unusual stuff happens every day! who knows!
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    the cited Dr. is on linked in. i'm going to email him and ask if the devices are still in use. what an interesting story.

no i'm not. apparently i'd have to upgrade (pay) my linked in acct. first. i'm not THAT interested.

but i still doubt highly that anyone contacted hp and strong-armed them to postpone a scheduled shutdown. that just sounds un-possible. but i'm only talking likelihood. strange and unusual stuff happens every day! who knows!
    Maybe it's Europe. They have stronger consumer-protection laws.

And for them, Doctor downloads, while also unavailable without a hosts fix, do not redirect to "mynewpalm.com", while for North America, they do. And if you remember the time mazzinia talked with his local (Italian) HP reps, and no-one had any idea of the webOS shutdown. That, i think is another good possibility... if it's not corporate, or medical, it may be governmental... because i really doubt there's a simple delay. If there was a delay in shutting off cloud services, they would have never informed us, but everything would have magically continued to work for another week and half
    Or it may be ( I would not put any money on this, but who knows ) that they will use the 2 months to make and release an official offline activation tool for new "devices" (that runs all and any extra scripts that are not otherwise executed with drskip and/or devicetool.jar)
    Maybe two months to transfer the ownership and everything left to the new company that bought the Palm name and such (TCL)?
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    I guess the extension doesn't matter. We all need to cut the cord. I'm just waiting to see what it's like once it is done, if it affects me when I ever need to build a replacement franken.

I sure wish someone would come out with something I could switch to.