Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Remy X
  • 1 Post By horzel
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  1.    #1  
    I think we have heard a lot about WebOS coming to more devices from LG korean executives a year before Now a new LG CTO says WebOS will be part of IoT (Internet of Things) on a connected world of devices.

There are smartwatches, smart washer machines, smart TVs, Smart fridges, etc but I don`t see and LG executives none of them say anything about WebOS smartphones yet at this point.

Well, the hope still there. There will be a moment LG must make a WebOS smartphone to order anything from it to the other devices at home Unless they will prefer to make those operations with an WebOS smartwatch instead.

Quote:

The chief technology officer of LG Dr. Scott Ahn has said in an interview that their aim is to make many more devices with this WebOS. They just do not want to confine this operating system in television and smart watches rather are planning to expand it beyond the limit by several smaller and bigger versions of WebOS.

WebOS is an operating system that could be set as a flagship OS for the internet of things and LG has decided to expand the use of this OS by creating smart fridges, smart washers and many more devices. By the use of WebOS, LG also can stand in the competition against Apple and android.

A connected and integrated world can do any work much easily than alone. LG is using this concept and determined to bring connected devices with WebOS. Blackberry is also looking at the same strategy and announced recently about the internet of things platform.

LG reveals their plan to release WebOS Smartwatches in the next year
    He also said "not on phones, that's been done before" or something like that
    I'm not trusting anything they say at this point. It's too early, they know webOS can bring negative press when associated with the word "phone".

They are offsetting this by creating a lot of new positive press. This is exactly what webOS needs. In time when a new webOS phone comes, the press must include all of the positive hype we've heard this week, slowly drowning out its sad past.

The potential is too great not to exploit. Idk how any tech company cannot look at the OS, see what it's capable of, and not say " wow HP really blew it "

I'll be patient. Besides there's nowhere to go.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    LG knows the future is connected devices so they are trying to find the new categories: tvs, watches etc.
    Phones are already established with Os's so LG will be a long way from using webOS on a phone if at all; they need the other categories to take off first and be hits. if so, maybe sometime in the way way future phones get dragged along, maybe not. In the meantime watches or something else could be the new mobile category so it may not matter as much. (In the meantime, webOS Ports is going to come thru for us.)

LG is moving slow and they want unit sales to bolster their capital investment ( I believe the LG exec even used the word "slow" in the WSJ article)

They also have shown with the tv category that they think nothing of burning their early 1.0 adopters by not upgrading (fully upgrading?) to v. 2. software.
    Also they think nothing of snooping on customers. Hard to say though whether they are snooping more than Amazon or the other players et al.
    I haven't followed that topic. Has it been confirmed that the 1.0 devices' hardware is capable of running 2.0 software? Maybe they can't, much like the Pre3 can't run webOS 3.x

That's not abandoning a previous customer. That's just progress. Idk the details like I said.

And what we call spying, they think is market research to deliver more custom tailored UX. So it's all perspective really. If you benefit from it, is good. If not, it isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    I haven't followed that topic. Has it been confirmed that the 1.0 devices' hardware is capable of running 2.0 software? Maybe they can't, much like the Pre3 can't run webOS 3.x

That's not abandoning a previous customer. That's just progress. Idk the details like I said.

And what we call spying, they think is market research to deliver more custom tailored UX. So it's all perspective really. If you benefit from it, is good. If not, it isn't.

The 1.x hardware, like the original Pre-, is too slow to run 2.x, so i see nothing wrong here. However, LG should make a lot more effort in making more content choices available to 1.x customers.

"Market research" stuff is treading a fine line... remember when a pre-webOS TV "phoned home" with the contents of one guy's network drives? They should have been a whole lot more careful in how they do that, such as only scanning for media like music and videos, not the remaining 10,000 filenames that have no relevance to the TV business. And.. send the filenames over SSL, not in clear text... and... use "certificate pinning", to make sure that no-one is serving a fake SSL certificate for the purpose of snooping on the communication.

I mean, we live in the age of the NSA

...and a TV has no right to go through our personal records and and send them overseas, in clear text, without our knowledge. Sloppy engineering at its finest.
    Aalthough the original Pre (-) never got 2.x, in the EU some Pre+ devices did.

I also seem to remember that somebody here wrote that he is running a 2.x version on a Pixi (Plus?)

Sometimes I wonder if we should not try to revive a WIKI for this kind of info, it is all so shattered over the forums

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    I heard that Pre+ can be hacked to v2 (maybe Pre- too?), but that Pixi's use and older or less powerful arm chip not compatible with v2...

..could be wrong!
    webOS 2.1.0 Doctor for PixiPlus on Verizon, AT&T, and WR (ROW)/Pixi on Sprint!

Pixi plus with 2.x

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    ...and a TV has no right to go through our personal records and and send them overseas, in clear text, without our knowledge. Sloppy engineering at its finest.
    I'm sure someone thought that was clever engineering... Until it was discovered.

You and I agree for sure. It's the MFGs that do not. No one cares about protecting our privacy except ourselves anymore. Everyone else wants to exploit it!
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I heard that Pre+ can be hacked to v2 (maybe Pre- too?), but that Pixi's use and older or less powerful arm chip not compatible with v2...

..could be wrong!
    Yes, 2.x can be put on those devices. Several of us on the site were part of the beta team for putting 2.0 on the original Pre.. BUT... it could never be made stable. For every 10 bugs we squashed, 30 more would take their place. In the end, it was taking sooo long and fixing one thing caused 2 more issues, so they finally pulled the plug because it was simply a sponge for cash and engineer time that could be used on the Pre3 and TouchPad that were also in Beta testing.

Whispers from those in the know say that LG has pulled kernel support and encryption keys for the 1st generation sets. So, it sounds like it is not an issue with hardware compatibility of older sets, but LG simply pulling the plug on even making an effort to support those 1st generation TV's - not to mention supporting those who gave LG money to get one of these 'new and fantastic' devices.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Ok so then when should preparations start to use WOSQI to put 2.0 on your TV?
    Remy X likes this.