Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree168Likes
    Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    New article is up on the WebOS Nation front page.

It's confirmed! TCL is bringing back Palm! | webOS Nation

Press release:
    TCL Communication co-(re)creates Palm

(LAS VEGAS, January 6 2015) – Palm brand has always been synonymous with innovation throughout its history. As such it has consistently acted as a pioneer of mobile technologies. Now is the time to revive and bring back this pioneer spirit.

To do so, TCL Communication Technology Holdings Limited ("TCL Communication" or the "Company" which, together with its subsidiaries, is referred to as the "Group"; is very proud to announce that it will create a new Palm Inc., a US-based company that will take ownership of the Palm brand. New Palm Inc. will remain a truly Californian, Silicon Valley, based company leveraging on the talents and partnerships of the area.

Palm has always carried a lot of affect and emotions. That's why TCL has set the direction to rebuild the brand involving Palm's very own community, making it the largest scale crowd-sourced project ever seen in the industry.

The objective goes far beyond proposing a more advanced device. It is to deliver absolute breakthrough innovations in Technology, Design, User Experience, Eco-system, Marketing, Supply Chain, and Business Models.

Palm will be fully supported by the various assets of TCL Communication:

• A best in class R & D organization, rich with 5000 engineers across 7 R&D centers around the globe
    • The most modern and efficient mobile devices manufacturing facility
    • A top level quality record recognized by the global tier 1 carriers and retailers around the world
    • A cutting-edge supply chain ready for the flexibility required by the market today
    • A global network already serving more than 170 countries and the most demanding customers of the industry with local Sales, Marketing and Technical teams
    • The exact timeline of the roll-out of the Palm project will be communicated at a later date.

TCL Communication, the 5th largest global handsets vendor, is operating globally under the ALCATEL ONETOUCH brand and TCL brand. It has already reached breakthrough positions, in multiple regions of the world.

During the past 3 years, TCL Communication has evolved from a leading position in feature phones to a top player in Smart Devices with a comprehensive portfolio of Smartphones, Tablets, IoT, Wearables, Mobile Routers. Today the company is adding new dimensions to its legacy hardware capabilities, turning itself into a true mobile Internet player with applications and cloud services in areas such as health care, education, smart home, video conferencing, music, etc.
    The Verge has more:
    In a statement today, TCL Communications said Palm's brand "has always been synonymous with innovation," and that "now is the time to revive and bring back this pioneer spirit." That will involve a research and development group of some 5,000 engineers, and deals with carriers to help get devices developed, it said.

Interestingly enough though, the company is also looking for outside help on that last part. Speaking to Phonescoop, TCL's chief executive George Guo said it's looking to the community to provide feedback on new devices, as well as apps and operating systems that are not webOS, which LG owns. That's likely to make many who were hoping for a plan of action, and a little nostalgia to be underwhelmed.
    Last edited by Choorp; 01/06/2015 at 05:54 PM.
    akitayo, xandros9 and ederic like this.
    Why does AC get the scoop?
    I like the idea of involving Palm's own community-wouldn't that be us?
    Crowd sourcing sounds nice too!
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Why does AC get the scoop?
    Looks like an article was just posted on the WOSN front page.
    Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    TCL has set the direction to rebuild the brand involving Palm's very own community
    TCL, if your listening, I'd like to be a part of this.
    I hope they are serious about that part.
    Do we need a new sister site?
    PalmCentral
    PalmNation
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    You had me until the "not webos" part. Palm without webos sounds like it just bought the name and little else. Another android clone with Palm device names? Will wait and see...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I see, Derek published it on both sites. Should have been here first. :nana:
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    im listening
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Without webOS is scary.

Maybe they're implying LuneOS or perhaps forking FireFoxOS and making that usable?

Hrm.
    mastercoin likes this.
    I'm having a hard time expecting that "not webOS" will translate to anything other than "is Android". If you're not using webOS and want to bring phones to market that will have a modern OS and ecosystem, is there really another viable option? Firefox or Sailfish? Windows Phone?
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    very interesting. It's a chinese company (listed in hong kong). China is selling lots of mobile phones these days and xiaomi is one of the big players already. I guess tcl wants to do the same and needs a good reputation name. China is leery about relying too much on US software like microsoft and google and based on what I'm reading, the chinese governement is pushing for alternatives. Maybe a forked android version that resembles webos ui?
    Understanding the iOS and Android Market in China - Inside Mobile Apps

Wonder if webos internals has talked to these guys. At this point, I dont think anyone can start from scratch. Look at how much microsoft is spending to keep their little share. same thing with blackberry, firefox. If it's a top tier android with some ui webos type enhancements I would consider it over samsung or htc or torola/lenovo (yes a chinese company).
    mastercoin likes this.
    Could we be missing the obvious? A 2015 version of PalmOS perhaps? I would be so all over that. Believe it or don't, I use a T/X on a daily basis to scribble notes.
    xandros9 and mastercoin like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    Could we be missing the obvious? A 2015 version of PalmOS perhaps? I would be so all over that. Believe it or don't, I use a T/X on a daily basis to scribble notes.
    I miss the Silk input method from PalmOS. They were exceptionally well-honed for what they did, and hate as I do to admit it, webOS never quite reached that same level of focus on PDA functionality, though it did completely surpass PalmOS in every other regard.
    xandros9 and Rnp like this.
    No WebOS? No interest!
    Rnp likes this.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Hmmm.... interesting indeed. A LuneOS device would be fine with me. Make it so!
    mah, technically lg didn't buy webos 2.x downward, if I remember right.. so there could be margin for a pre4 with current hw, the pebble shape, maybe a 4" to 4.2" and webos 2.2.4 with fixes (lets call it 2.2.5).
    It would be a way to put something on the market, relatively quickly
    TJs11thPre and Rnp like this.
    As much as we would all love to see a webOS-esque UI on the new Palm devices, how much legal resistance could be expected from Google, considering Matias Duarte went to the dark side.
    mastercoin likes this.
    google doesn't own the webos ui trademarks
    Remy X, TJs11thPre and Rnp like this.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast