Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree168Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    There's no undo in webOS either, but the select function is so much more accurate that errors are far less. I credit the buttons which let you highlight yellow or directly move and the cursor without your finger obscuring your view of where to place it!

I don't get this though: Ctrl c, Ctrl V, Ctrl x. Where is Ctrl Z and Y! Undo redo! Wtf?
    There IS Undo in some places in webOS, but it is hidden, is not in the app menu, and you access it by using the equivalent of Ctrl+Z (= tap and hold one finger in gesture area and press 'Z' key at the same time), just like you listed. Give it a try when composing an email in the default Email app, posting using the Forums app, and many other places on my Pre3 -- maybe someone can come up with a list...

But Undo is not everywhere in webOS like it is in iOS, which I think is one of iOS' best, yet little known and not promoted, advantages. Don't forget about the Ctrl+A either for Select All -- it comes in handy.

Have fun!
    Last edited by UI Designer; 01/09/2015 at 01:20 AM.
    TJs11thPre, Saijin_Naib and Rnp like this.
    I don't use the gesture area light to do the selecting very often, I usually choose it from the drop down menu under Edit. When try to copy/paste with the light, it always minimizes my card which is irritating. I will test it out though, thanks for the info. Imho it should be shift backswipe and shift front swipe or similar
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Remy X likes this.
    FYI..

webOS 1.4.5 (1st gen devices, Pre+, etc) don't have Undo/Redo functionality available to the user anywhere, but it can be patched in, because the underlying code (WebKit, etc) supports it
    When try to copy/paste with the light, it always minimizes my card which is irritating. ...
    I see this sometimes happen with Paste, which I agree is annoying, but it does not "always" happen. I don't remember seeing it with Copy, though, but I'll have to pay more attention next time I'm popped back into Card view unexpectedly.

I wonder if I am sliding my finger up, ever so slightly, when lifting it away from the gesture area, thus causing an up-swipe?

Or maybe I am holding my finger too close to the center of the gesture area, where the light is. You are supposed to place your finger to the left or right of the light, but ideally not on the light, since tapping the light will bring up the Card view. I think I may be doing this last one unintentionally. BUT, if you place your finger in the gesture area too far to the left or right, then you will be outside of the gesture area and the next character you press will by typed instead of getting the shortcut, which can be really annoying. It can be tricky at times, but also wonderful how quick it is, when it is working as expected. Some training and practice is needed.
    Last edited by UI Designer; 01/09/2015 at 01:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UI Designer View Post
    I see this sometimes happen with Paste, which I agree is annoying, but it does not "always" happen. I don't remember seeing it with Copy, though, but I'll have to pay more attention next time I'm popped back into Card view unexpectedly.

I wonder if I am sliding my finger up, ever so slightly, when lifting it away from the gesture area, thus causing an up-swipe?

Or maybe I am holding my finger too close to the center of the gesture area, where the light is. You are supposed to place your finger to the left or right of the light, but ideally not on the light, since tapping the light will bring up the Card view. I think I may be doing this last one unintentionally. BUT, if you place your finger in the gesture area too far to the left or right, then you will be outside of the gesture area and the next character you press will by typed instead of getting the shortcut, which can be REALLY ANNOYING. It can be tricky at times, but also wonderful how quick it is. Some training and practice is needed.

Now imagine that happening on a 1.4.5 device, when you try to copy or cut text, only to have the text replaced by a letter 'x' with no way to Undo. When editing text, i always copy from the menu
    Using the gesture area to copy and paste is very convenient and very easy. Just in the area of an imaginary line between the lightbar and below the bottom of the screen. Outside of the lightbar as mentioned before of course.

My favorite keyboard function is deleting a whole word at a time as it is often easier to just re-type a word than correct it. And it does it better than windows pc ctrl+backspace/delete, in windows the cursor has to be at the end or start of the word while in webos just anywhere. And a related feature is since I like to just delete and start over, in the phone app when entering a number and made a mistake, a backswipe will clear the whole thing on rapid.

Also, lets not forget the little typewriter sound when a word is auto corrected and underlined in gray. It is so cool, can just go on typing and then go back to look at all the gray to avoid sending nonsense
    Last edited by laingman; 01/09/2015 at 06:26 AM.
    Saijin_Naib likes this.
    I don't use the gesture area light to do the selecting very often, I usually choose it from the drop down menu under Edit. When try to copy/paste with the light, it always minimizes my card which is irritating. I will test it out though, thanks for the info. Imho it should be shift backswipe and shift front swipe or similar
    TJ: To avoid the card minimizing, simply touch to the left or right of the light. Works just the same and avoids the minimizing response. Much better than having to use the drop down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Yet another disappointment for Palm fans
    Well, it's just a name. They might one day produce something worthy of it (their new stuff is apparently pretty good), but there's clearly no personnel or tech link back. LG & Qualcomm have all that.

Meanwhile, over here I do some optimistic extrapolation!
    http://forums.webosnation.com/upcomi...ml#post3445527
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Attached Images Attached Images
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    petbull likes this.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456