Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree168Likes
    It doesn't seem like these guys are the real news, more of a distraction.

The real news is there seems to a move to adapt Android (Xiaomi) or switch to different platform (e.g. Tizen or webOS) by hardware makers who are jockeying to take more control of their software destiny by vertically integrating rather than race themselves to bottom of cheap android hardware as well as wanting to position themselves as competitive in the internet of things. Software is going to control everything now and this is the big dollars. There are auto parts that phone home to say when they will need repair.

These hardware/software players are going to have to fight the marketshare of whoever is still making the android devices and they are going to have to fight Apple. The LG CEO is saying he will take his time so he can launch a webOS smart watch. That demo we got to see today looks elegant--for the first time I am somewhat hopeful although the fact that he burned first gen webOS tv users is not a good sign.

Does HP still own webOS and they are licensing to LG or did they sell outright?
    Remy X and GoJoe2 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    It doesn't seem like these guys are the real news, more of a distraction.

The real news is there seems to a move to adapt Android (Xiaomi) or switch to different platform (e.g. Tizen or webOS) by hardware makers who are jockeying to take more control of their software destiny by vertically integrating rather than race themselves to bottom of cheap android hardware as well as wanting to position themselves as competitive in the internet of things. Software is going to control everything now and this is the big dollars. There are auto parts that phone home to say when they will need repair.

These hardware/software players are going to have to fight the marketshare of whoever is still making the android devices and they are going to have to fight Apple. The LG CEO is saying he will take his time so he can launch a webOS smart watch. That demo we got to see today looks elegant--for the first time I am somewhat hopeful although the fact that he burned first gen webOS tv users is not a good sign.

Does HP still own webOS and they are licensing to LG or did they sell outright?
    Outright...

Legacy webOS is just past contracts/liabilities... and Enyo seems to be split between the two companies
    petbull likes this.
    Here's my idea:

- Take the BlackBerry Passport, narrow it down so the screen is 3:2 (a la Microsoft Surface), 1440x960 resolution
    - Tuck the keyboard away into a short throw slider, and move the spacebar back onto the fourth row, a la Palm's layout
    - Add a thin gesture area, or perhaps keep the gesture aware keyboard from the Passport
    - LuneOS with Android compatibility layer, allowing running Android Apps as cards, emulating resolution at 960x540 and 1280x720
    - Touchstone or Qi charging, but magnetic coupling to the dock is a MUST

Here's a quick photoshop of what I mean:

http://i.imgur.com/5gno8w2.jpg
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 01/07/2015 at 09:22 PM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Nice, but its gotta have rounded corners for me....

who the he77 am I kidding...if that had webOS, I would buy 3! lol
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    See the comments of Ed Colligan (former Palm leader):

http://www.facebook.com/lynnfox/posts/10152937055912383
    wplust likes this.
    More than on spot, and deserving a like
    Quote Originally Posted by gespy View Post
    See the comments of Ed Colligan (former Palm leader):

http://www.facebook.com/lynnfox/posts/10152937055912383
    And here's the article the Journalist wrote with that comment and a quote from it below:

"Nostalgia is not a strategy in the tech world."

http://readwrite.com/2015/01/07/palm...igan-hilarious

I don't want to be negative here, just realistic. I do think there's a place for optimism --in the LG smart watch (cross fingers they execute well). And in the quiet persistent efforts of the webOS faithful webOS Ports in making an open source LuneOS. Just putting it on my hp touchpad which I barely touched in a year made me realize how much I loved webOS.
    The Facebook exchange confirms my sense that there's a lot of people beyond us on this forum who want an elegant and security conscious alternative to IOS and Android.
    Nostalgia is not a strategy, but can inspire a strategy if that strategy is forward thinking. I believe there is a space company using an updated rocket engine design.. Here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket...1#F-1B_booster

The engine from the Saturn 5 rockets that took the Apollo mission to the moon. That's a late 1960's design being proposed today. Is it exactly the same? No. There are fixes to some design flaws and improvements in efficiency that can come from modern materials, design and production techniques (e.g. 3D printing).

webOS (and HW) has plenty of flaws and unrealised potential, but the fundamental quality of the design is what causes the nostalgia and there is potential for it to re-emerge on faster HW with newer services and fresh capabilities. There are lots of reason why this may not happen. Nostalgia for the past is one.

Looking forward and progressing is one route to success. Just because something is old, does not mean it can't be updated & successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    And here's the article the Journalist wrote with that comment and a quote from it below:

"Nostalgia is not a strategy in the tech world."

http://readwrite.com/2015/01/07/palm...igan-hilarious

I don't want to be negative here, just realistic. I do think there's a place for optimism --in the LG smart watch (cross fingers they execute well). And in the quiet persistent efforts of the webOS faithful webOS Ports in making an open source LuneOS. Just putting it on my hp touchpad which I barely touched in a year made me realize how much I loved webOS.
    The Facebook exchange confirms my sense that there's a lot of people beyond us on this forum who want an elegant and security conscious alternative to IOS and Android.
    That's so similar to what he said when the iphone was announced. It's a good omen
    I'm all for new webOS hardware but why are some of you guys so adamant on still having a physical keyboard? I'm totally okay with virtual. It keeps the phone thinner, less things to break, you can swap out keyboards, etc. And it's a lot harder to type in foreign language too with a physical keyboard.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    You are not wrong - but you probably never saw us type on our keyboards.

I even wrote a whole collage class paper on it once!

Hardly any errors and incredible fast.

And I see more broken Iphones than Pre3s.

Height is true, so is the foreign language argument - but for both I don't care.
    I am not familiar with the company that just purchased the Palm name. Any reason to believe these phones they are going to be releasing will be available in the US or the UK? Will they just be released in China?
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Maybe they should read the Zen of Palm before starting:
    http://www.cs.uml.edu/~fredm/courses.../zenofpalm.pdf
    Ben
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I am not familiar with the company that just purchased the Palm name. Any reason to believe these phones they are going to be releasing will be available in the US or the UK? Will they just be released in China?
    Don't worry, they sell all over Europe (should have offices in France for sure)
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I'm all for new webOS hardware but why are some of you guys so adamant on still having a physical keyboard? I'm totally okay with virtual. It keeps the phone thinner, less things to break, you can swap out keyboards, etc. And it's a lot harder to type in foreign language too with a physical keyboard.
    Virtual keyboard is a compromise, work around whatever that can suffice.

I have both on my convertible laptop and I use the real keyboard when I have to do any real typing task. Same on my phone, I use the vk for little texts and such and launching apps, that's about it.

The big deal is that with a real keyboard I can see more than a few lines of what I have typed without getting thrown of by all that scrolling. Would not catch me typing a word document with no virtual keyboard, unless its all I have
    Believe it or not I HATE thin phones, I find them awkward to hold since there isn't that much grip. Especially the ridiculous 5"+ phablets these days.

I can't balance large phones on my hands, not to mention single handed use is awkward. If I need a large screen I'll just tether my tablet to my phone.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Observations for consideration:

- Palm CEO is right to a point. People buy names they know, when they don't know enough about the product to evaluate it objectively themselves. If you're are buying your first low cost smart phone, you'll probably choose Palm over Coby or another unfamiliar brand.

- trying to type anything SERIOUS like not just a tweet or blog comment, with a virtual keyboard is an exercise in futility. The amount of corrections I make on android vs webOS handset is incomparable.

- I will not buy a rectangle phone! No! No no no!

- thin phones are definitely easier to drop.

- good design will sell. Good value will sell. And good marketing will sell. Technically you only need two of these but many products out there have launched with only the last element.

I want to hear more comments from former insiders, but these guys may have some hard feelings too.

Thanks for sharing those!
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    I'm all for new webOS hardware but why are some of you guys so adamant on still having a physical keyboard?

I'm totally okay with virtual. It keeps the phone thinner, less things to break, you can swap out keyboards, etc.

And it's a lot harder to type in foreign language too with a physical keyboard.
    I love my Pre3's physical keyboard since I can type on it quickly without looking at the keyboard. Try that with a virtual keyboard!

I can focus on the words that appear on the screen while typing, just like you do on a regular computer, if you are a touch typist, instead of looking at the keyboard, which takes your focus away from what you are doing and slows you down.

Furthermore, webOS' customizable text shortcuts (see Text Assist pref) really help, like all you have to type is 'u' for 'you,' r=are, ur=your, t=the, w=webOS, etc. Not even iOS can do this since it does not allow single character shortcuts (why does Apple impose so many unnecessary limitations and restrictions?...)! webOS' Auto-Correction is great too.

On top of all this, the Pre3's physical keyboard has numbers and common symbols included that are ALWAYS visible, so you can access them very quickly.

Regarding thinner, that is something I do not want. When I used an iPod Touch 4th generation, it was way too thin for me and was very hard to hold comfortably -- it kept slipping out of my hands and made my hands hurt after holding it for a while. My Pre3's thickness is not a problem at all and feels very comfortable in my hands. Even if it was thicker, that would be OK too, especially if it gave me longer battery life. I still keep losing my Pre3 when it is in my pocket since it is so small.

Regarding foreign language, that is not a big problem for major regions that use a common keyboard. Yes, different physical keyboards may be needed for different major regions, just like for laptops. (It would be cool to have a physical keyboard with little screens on each key to change the physical key's function...) But webOS has an intelligent dedicated symbol key (Sym) where all you have to do is press the Sym key followed by the character on the physical keyboard that is closest to the one you want and the list of foreign characters shown in the pop-up virtual keyboard is filtered to match what you want. If the very first character shown is the one you want, then all you have to do is press Sym key again and you are all done -- no touching the screen is necessary.

You can also use Text Assist to create shortcuts for any special foreign characters that you use often and is not convenient to access with the Sym key. And after all this, if you still really want a virtual keyboard, this is possible to add, but you will be giving up some valuable screen real estate.

Regarding physical keyboards breaking, yes, this could be a problem if the hardware is cheaply made or not designed correctly. My Pre3 is already over 3 years old, I've type A LOT on it, and it is still working very well. When was the last time your laptop's physical keyboard broke?

Thank you for asking your great question, loah. You really have to use a Pre3 keyboard for a while to fully appreciate it. After that, you will love it and not want anything less. All of this was typed on my Pre3's keyboard without looking at the keys, for the most part.
    Last edited by UI Designer; 01/09/2015 at 01:01 AM.
    Remy X, TJs11thPre, Rnp and 1 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by UI Designer View Post
    Furthermore, webOS's customizable text shortcuts (see Text Assist pref) really helps, like all you have to type is 'u' for 'you,' r=are, ur=your, t=the, w=webOS, etc. The Auto-Correction is great too.
    This x1000. I've submitted a proposal to Mozilla/FireFoxOS for them to be... inspired? by webOS' Text Assist functionality, as truly, NOTHING comes even remotely close to how freaking amazing that tool is.
    Grabber5.0, TJs11thPre and Rnp like this.
    Android text editors are ****. I can't use Firefox anymore because of it. It's sometimes impossible to highlight the appropriate text. I gave up. Dolphin and chrome work better but neither have an undo function. When pasting, if you make an error you are screwed

Theres no undo in webOS either, but the select function is so much more accurate that errors are far less. I credit the KEYBOARD buttons which let you highlight yellow, or directly move and place the cursor without your finger obscuring your view of where to place it!

Plus, the irony of this huge screen, yet when the keyboard pops up suddenly I can only read two lines of text because the keyboard just consumed it all. Plus, how many times I've wanted the keyboard to pop up, but it doesn't get whatever signal it needed from the text field. No keyboard! I like being able to slide it open. I tell the phone I'm ready to type, it doesn't tell me when its ready to let me type like this Nexus does.

I don't get this: Ctrl c, Ctrl V, Ctrl x. Where is Ctrl Z and Y! Undo redo! Wtf?

Bottom line, if I was sending a very important email, I'd do it on a pc first. Remotely, I could do it on my webOS phone. But i wouldn't bother if I only had android, I'd go log in on the pc. Time savings and convenience benefits thanks to confidence in the physical KB experience! That's why I must have one.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 01/09/2015 at 01:17 AM.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Remy X, Saijin_Naib and Rnp like this.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast