Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 111
Like Tree168Likes
  1. carldc's Avatar
    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Open Devices would be cool.
    Given Alcatel's new Pixi line, this seems like a real possibility.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    How about

    A) They adopt Sailfish OS
    or

    B) They give webOS Ports a bit of help and make open devices that can run LuneOS
    I prefer path B. I wish LuneOS would take some of the stuff from FFXOS, notably Open Web API, as well as its working telephony stack. I think that'd save them ***-tons of work.
    i2y4n, vgg and Rnp like this.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I find your ideas realistic, sensible, yet exciting!
    Then it's decided, of to the lab we go. I also give myself some kind of job out of this....

    With all seriousness if they want to be innovative then they need to think outside the box. Move past the Android Idea with Palm. Keep One touch as your Android like for the masses, Make Palm as your innovative looking forward line. How about something like the a modern Foleo. A Phone with solid specs for that plugs into a mid range laptop. How about even a Ubuntu Phone/Laptop combo. Then need to live off profits from their other businesses and focus on innovation. There are enough Android device manufacturers out there, we don't need anymore.
    They could even try making their own OS. How about a Cloud OS, and it runs on your PC, Phone (tablet) and Car. They each have your contacts, and media.
    Make devices with keyboards.
    Make super powerful assistant (siri) that can do anything.

    I just am tired of this current tech world. Nothing feels innovative. Making Android devices is not Innovative. Do something different. Be weird. It does not have to sell, make crazy things, patent it and see where it goes.

    Weird Sony is a great example, Sony Mylo Comm, xperia x1 panels, light speakers, robot dogs.
    These never took off but they were interesting. The had emotion

    WebOS tried, it was different.
    How about they fork open webOS and make Mochi with a super focus on multitasking. Not in the idea of having multiple apps running but being able to do more.

    make NFC devices.

    All I ask TCL, if you are going to take the Palm name, don't slap it on Android devices. Palm stands for Innovation, don't diminish that.

    Sorry for my rant everyone
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T


    LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    TJs11thPre, i2y4n, Rnp and 2 others like this.
  4. carldc's Avatar
    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    #44  
    So, on the 30th anniversary of Back to the Future we have Palm, Walkman, and Kodak!
  5. #45  
    The only silver lining I see in this hyperbolic press release is that the company will be in silicon valley.

    These breakthroughs they are forecasting, well to deliver on that big talk, would need a team led by someone like Rubinstein himself.

    Does anyone here have contacts that were with palm before Hp? Have people been approached by Alcatel?

    I've always found it odd that this forum has no one who was a palm employee. I've never heard of one here. We never get any inside information here that I can recall anyway.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    Then it's decided, of to the lab we go. I also give myself some kind of job out of this....

    With all seriousness if they want to be innovative then they need to think outside the box. Move past the Android Idea with Palm. Keep One touch as your Android like for the masses, Make Palm as your innovative looking forward line. How about something like the a modern Foleo. A Phone with solid specs for that plugs into a mid range laptop. How about even a Ubuntu Phone/Laptop combo. Then need to live off profits from their other businesses and focus on innovation. There are enough Android device manufacturers out there, we don't need anymore.
    They could even try making their own OS. How about a Cloud OS, and it runs on your PC, Phone (tablet) and Car. They each have your contacts, and media.
    Make devices with keyboards.
    Make super powerful assistant (siri) that can do anything.

    I just am tired of this current tech world. Nothing feels innovative. Making Android devices is not Innovative. Do something different. Be weird. It does not have to sell, make crazy things, patent it and see where it goes.

    Weird Sony is a great example, Sony Mylo Comm, xperia x1 panels, light speakers, robot dogs.
    These never took off but they were interesting. The had emotion

    WebOS tried, it was different.
    How about they fork open webOS and make Mochi with a super focus on multitasking. Not in the idea of having multiple apps running but being able to do more.

    make NFC devices.

    All I ask TCL, if you are going to take the Palm name, don't slap it on Android devices. Palm stands for Innovation, don't diminish that.

    Sorry for my rant everyone
    Oh and remember the first module mobile device?
    Those were Palm PDAs.
    Make Module devices, maybe components

    Inspire me TCL/Palm
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T


    LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    TJs11thPre and vgg like this.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    The only silver lining I see in this hyperbolic press release is that the company will be in silicon valley.

    These breakthroughs they are forecasting, well to deliver on that big talk, would need a team led by someone like Rubinstein himself.

    Does anyone here have contacts that were with palm before Hp? Have people been approached by Alcatel?

    I've always found it odd that this forum has no one who was a palm employee. I've never heard of one here. We never get any inside information here that I can recall anyway.
    Thats funny, my grandpa gave me an old Blackberry (5810) a while back and it had a ton of old contacts. A lot of them are from Phone and Carrier companies. I could never bring myself to delete them. One of them is a Palm employee.

    Let me see if I can find him
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T


    LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    Thats funny, my grandpa gave me an old Blackberry (5810) a while back and it had a ton of old contacts. A lot of them are from Phone and Carrier companies. I could never bring myself to delete them. One of them is a Palm employee.

    Let me see if I can find him
    John Inkley,
    Manager Federal Sales
    I have his palm email, his work #, his mobile # and his fax #. Also his work or home location all from 2001/2002 ish

    Worked at At&t as of 2013
    Events - COVITS 2013
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T


    LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    John Inkley,
    Manager Federal Sales
    I have his palm email, his work #, his mobile # and his fax #. Also his work or home location all from 2001/2002 ish

    Worked at At&t as of 2013
    Events - COVITS 2013
    Ha that info is probably obsolete but if he's in sales I wouldn't expect him to know much about what we are looking for.

    If I were a detective, I'd seek out former Palm engineers, strategic big- or mid- wigs, and designers. Other silicon valley people who they'd try to recruit. Then I'd start hitting them up on linked in, looking for opportunities to get involved.

    But I'm OK with being patient myself, as if it's something really good, it will come out. And if it's not, I kept my expectations low.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  10. #50  
    anybody remember Simon? is this what morphed into palm after it (simon) failed? Way way way ahead of its time. let's hope the "new palm" is forward thinking. I agree with most--if it's just another android device..meh..

    but I caught the "not webos" thing and lost interest. i would imagine they read this forum and have heard our wishlists.

    only time will tell
  11. #51  
    Looks like they had the hardware 4 years ago.

    http://i.imgur.com/BTjccAR.jpg
    That's not a bad looking device. Looks a lot like a palm PDA.
    Alcatel OT-980 Deals - Android assisted Functionality and Slide out QWERTY Keypad | PRLog

    Here's the problem: put 4g in that very device and I don't care if it's android, I'd buy it if sprint offered it.

    Alcatel can fill the portrait slider keyboard void without returning us our beloved webOS. A clone without the soul.

    Then luneOS could port to it! Lol

    Why won't this image display?
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 01/07/2015 at 02:37 AM. Reason: idk why that image won't display?!
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  12. #52  
    To me, sounds like they bought the brand name so people would pay attention to them and could possibly open doors to at least listen to them in regards to distribution and or sales. (and look that is what we are doing). Its a marketing ploy to raise themselves up in the eyes of the world from their cheap lowly android place by associating with Palm.

    They have 5000 engineers, sure, but what are they making with them?The pixi phone they just put out I read some review that it was iPhone 3GS hardware quality--so very low level--and the distributors get to choose which OS to install, its not a triple boot and the customer has no choice.


    The sensible thing if you have a new plan is to announce it before you spend on buying the brand name. The fact that they are saying they want to hear from the community sounds like they are trying to yank peoples' chains (but really their plans were set before they bought the brand).

    Shame on HP. They wanted to dump the brand name--wash their hands of it and collect what money they could.
    I bet no one else wanted to touch the Palm name--they had too much respect for the past culture. Only this
    cheap android maker got it for cheap.

    No more HP products for me (Dieter is right on this one, Palm should be able to RIP).
    Last edited by bluenote; 01/07/2015 at 05:46 AM.
    coolmanqazi and Rnp like this.
  13. #53  
    no estimated release of their first date palm? I love a pre4
  14. #54  
    There are plenty of watch rumours - maybe Barcelona? MWC.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 01/07/2015 at 06:45 AM.
  15. #55  
    TCL Brings Palm Back to Life, New Devices This Year

    LAS VEGAS - Palm fans, rejoice! Chinese electronics company TCL is reviving the smartphone pioneer, announcing today its acquisition of the Palm brand. At a small, private press event here at CES, TCL said it hopes to release a new Palm device, with input from fans, by the end of 2015.

    TCL CEO George Guo said the company had acquired the Palm brand through a subsidiary, but could not disclose price and other details due to a confidentiality clause in the contract. TCL is creating a new Palm Inc, which will be based in California. TCL did not, however, acquire WebOS, Palm's last operating system before its demise. HP first acquired WebOS, and then sold it to LG, which uses the software to power its smart TVs. "It doesn't really impact us at all," said LG's chief US spokesman, John Taylor.

    While details are still very sparse on what TCL plans to do with Palm, one thing is clear: the company will open the development process up to the public. The goal is to crowd source ideas for the new Palm. As it is still figuring out the legalities involved, TCL does not have details on how fans can participate in that process yet, but says it will at least have a website that it intends to develop "very quickly."

    Fans will have a say in everything from hardware design and software to the user experience, as TCL says it will be creating the next Palm device "from scratch."

    Guo said TCL also has its own ideas on what to do, but is waiting to share those plans. Since LG now owns webOS, it's unlikely that the new Palm will return to its old software roots. But Guo said that will also depend on what the fans have to say.

    TCL is now the fifth largest global handsets vendor operating under the Alcatel Onetouch brand (under TCL brand in China). Palm Inc will be able to leverage TCL group's vast resources, including more than 5,000 engineers in various departments.

    While details are still very sparse on what TCL plans to do with Palm, one thing is clear: the company will open the development process up to the public. The goal is to crowd source ideas for the new Palm. As it is still figuring out the legalities involved, TCL does not have details on how fans can participate in that process yet, but says it will at least have a website that it intends to develop "very quickly."

    Fans will have a say in everything from hardware design and software to the user experience, as TCL says it will be creating the next Palm device "from scratch."

    Guo said TCL also has its own ideas on what to do, but is waiting to share those plans. Since LG now owns webOS, it's unlikely that the new Palm will return to its old software roots. But Guo said that will also depend on what the fans have to say.

    TCL is now the fifth largest global handsets vendor operating under the Alcatel Onetouch brand (under TCL brand in China). Palm Inc will be able to leverage TCL group's vast resources, including more than 5,000 engineers in various departments.
  16. #56  
    License webOS from LG and have cross platform phone / tv apps?


    One can dream
  17. #57  
    "Fans will have a say in everything from
    hardware design and software to the user
    experience"
    How will we have our say?
    Just call me Berd.
    xandros9 and vgg like this.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    [url=http://www.tomsguide.com/us/tcl-buys-palm,news-20185.html]
    Guo said TCL also has its own ideas on what to do, but is waiting to share those plans. Since LG now owns webOS, it's unlikely that the new Palm will return to its old software roots. But Guo said that will also depend on what the fans have to say.
    If they want to hear feedback, hopefully they will know enough to look on-line to enthusiast sites like this! Palm always had employees on our site reading up and talking to members. Lets see if this company actually puts up
  19. #59  
    Derek - while you are at CES, you need to hunt down this Guo and make sure he knows where to find us, and try to pry some answers out of him.
  20. #60  
    What does this mean crowdsource?
    It sounds like he is being coy, to be honest. In the article it says he does have a plan but is not saying what it is.
    (The less he says, the more people will speculate and he will get more attention)

    We know from their Pixi phone that they have the 3 choices: android windows or firefox. So maybe he has a website where the fans pick one of those (instead of the distributor)?
    Then he probably has a few specs to choose from. He gets fans to pick them so he ensures he has a few customers for his new phone. (maybe he even gets people to pay in advance like some kickstarter).

    It would be nice if he put LuneOS as a fourth choice. But is it even ready?

    It would be nicer still if he would create something with top specs and opened the boot loader so webs-ports could easily put LuneOS on and have a say in what specs would work for them.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Official: General Palm (HP/Palm) Complaints / Venting / Farewell Thread
    By HelloNNNewman in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 1234
    Last Post: 03/31/2016, 06:22 PM
  2. Official HP TouchPad Cases back in stock!
    By atraum in forum webOS Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09/10/2011, 09:45 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09/04/2011, 09:02 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10/01/2010, 01:31 PM
  5. Rolling back to Leaked ATT WM6 from the Official One.. here's why!
    By M5Rahul in forum Palm Windows Mobile Devices & Apps
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12/18/2007, 11:13 PM

Posting Permissions