Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree168Likes
    Well hp really did us in. First they killed of webos and then they managed to make it so no one can make a webos phone by selling it to LG to put it on tvs and fridge.
    Remy X and Rnp like this.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Considering how much the webOS Ports team have been able accomplish with LuneOS with a handful of people working in their spare time, I think a team of full time engineers could make a LuneOS phone a reality in no time at all.

Ben
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Well hp really did us in. First they killed of webos and then they managed to make it so no one can make a webos phone by selling it to LG to put it on tvs and fridge.
    At least they gave us Open webOS before they sold. They didn't have to do that.
    Ben
    This can go one of two ways:

LG don't own webOS - it was called open webOS for a reason and if they did own it, what are webOS-ports doing (and not getting sued)?

So Alcatel can revive the brand, bring new innovative products and yes, even webOS back on mobile.

Or they can slap a new badge on the old product.

• A best in class R & D organization, rich with 5000 engineers across 7 R&D centers around the globe
    • The most modern and efficient mobile devices manufacturing facility
    • A top level quality record recognized by the global tier 1 carriers and retailers around the world
    • A cutting-edge supply chain ready for the flexibility required by the market today
    • A global network already serving more than 170 countries and the most demanding customers of the industry with local Sales, Marketing and Technical teams

Maybe all that's true. What amazing innovation was there? I'm not saying there wasn't any, but Alcatel was barely on my radar, so if anyone wants to fill in the blanks for me...

Every company in tech says they are innovative. Alcatel are not a new company and the name won't change them. Perhaps there will be some internal revolution in the company and we will be surprised, but I'm not going to get too excited until I hear details and see action.

Meet the mascot: http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6sgn4xCAAAyLPv.jpg Alcatel Andy at CES.

Edit: Actually, I've looked at the original release which is from TCL, so perhaps this is a 'new' brand separate from Alcatel? That might give it more of a chance, but still, culture doesn't come from a name and most of the above still applies.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 01/06/2015 at 08:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by benh View Post
    At least they gave us Open webOS before they sold. They didn't have to do that.
    Ben
    Yes, I was thinking about this, but the boss man said not webos. So its muddy now at best
    Lots of hot air PRPRPR-$speak$ $is$ $what$ $I$ $see$ $there$.. $They$ $have$ $made$ $a$ $bunch$ $of$ $crappy$, $low$-$spec$'$d$ $phones$ $from$ $what$ $I$'$ve$ $seen$. $They$ $had$ $better$ $step$ $up$ $their$ $game$ $or$ $it$ $will$ $just$ $drag$ $Palm$'$s$ $name$ $farther$ $down$ $into$ $the$ $dirt$.
    @Preemptive,

What LG bought was: 1) the right to use the webOS name while marketing a closed-source version of webOS. We, on the other hand have the choice of either calling our fork webOS as long as it's open source, or if we are forking to closed source, it must be renamed.

2) LG also bought the rights to license some proprietary code that was stripped out of webOS prior to open-sourcing it. We are stuck with rebuilding missing pieces.

In regards to new "Palm" devices, i'm half expecting to see Android with a proprietary skin, on a 5" slab where the backlight leaks around the edges of the screen. I'm really not excited about the sale of the brand..

...a sale, which left us without access to Doctors and other support materials. If anything, that was an act of hostility. I don't see how "Alcatel" (TCL) expects any customer loyalty when they held the domain name for as long as they did, cut us off from on-device help, ROMs and dev docs, and had not a care in the world... If they chose to do this to the "loyal Palm community", well, any of their platitudes in the press release are just that. Bull****.
    Last edited by Remy X; 01/06/2015 at 08:46 PM.
    The question is :
    Will LG react making WebOS smartphones? Am I just dreaming?

What I understand is that TCL/ALCATEL OneTouch wants to make a new mobile OS consulting to before and actual Palm phones owners and developers to make something totally new according to what the consumer wants NOW adding what was missing on before Palm devices. Sort of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    @Preemptive,

What LG bought was: 1) the right to use the webOS name while marketing a closed-source version of webOS. We, on the other hand have the choice of either calling our fork webOS as long as it's open source, or if we are forking to closed source, it must be renamed.

2) LG also bought the rights to license some proprietary code that was stripped out of webOS prior to open-sourcing it. We are stuck with rebuilding missing pieces.

In regards to new "Palm" devices, i'm half expecting to see Android with a proprietary skin, on a 5" slab where the backlight leaks around the edges of the screen. I'm really not excited about the sale of the brand..

...a sale, which left us without access to Doctors and other support materials. If anything, that was an act of hostility. I don't see how "Alcatel" (TCL) expects any customer loyalty when they held the domain name for as long as they did, cut us off from on-device help, ROMs and dev docs, and had not a care in the world... If they chose to do this to the "loyal Palm community", well, any of their platitudes in the press release are just that. Bull****.
    Do we know for sure if there was any legalese involved with the sale of the name and the domains that forced them to disown all those Doctors and other support materials?
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Lots of hot air PRPRPR-$speak$ $is$ $what$ $I$ $see$ $there$.. $They$ $have$ $made$ $a$ $bunch$ $of$ $crappy$, $low$-$spec$'$d$ $phones$ $from$ $what$ $I$'$ve$ $seen$. $They$ $had$ $better$ $step$ $up$ $their$ $game$ $or$ $it$ $will$ $just$ $drag$ $Palm$'$s$ $name$ $farther$ $down$ $into$ $the$ $dirt$.
    I want to not like what you're saying, but I can't. You're right. The brand is meaningless without the hardware and software. I was a Palm PDA/Palm-HP webOS user for 14 years until late last year. I still have my Pre3 and TouchPad (though they are no longer my primary devices).
    This 'new' Palm has got to be more than just another run-of-the-mill Android device. It's got to be more than just a name.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    Do we know for sure if there was any legalese involved with the sale of the name and the domains that forced them to disown all those Doctors and other support materials?
    They don't own the Doctors or any of the HP-hosted stuff, but they could have acted with a little more grace and common sense... and changed only the www.palm.com DNS entry. The remaining subdomains are part of webOS cloud services, and should have been allowed to remain live until January 15th.

For all i know, there may even be a breach of contract, if HP had made any mention of the webOS "twilight" period.
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    I want to not like what you're saying, but I can't. You're right. The brand is meaningless without the hardware and software. I was a Palm PDA/Palm-HP webOS user for 14 years until late last year. I still have my Pre3 and TouchPad (though they are no longer my primary devices).
    This 'new' Palm has got to be more than just another run-of-the-mill Android device. It's got to be more than just a name.
    I just can't see the "new" Palm running Android. HTC, who ironically used to build most of the Treo line, finally releases a semi-positive financial and they've been at the Android game much longer and with seriously good devices. Look at the financial straitjacket Sony's been in, and many other Android OEMs as well. Even Samsung is bleeding red ink this quarter and Alcatel believes it's a good idea to market yet another Android? I must be missing something.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    I just can't see the "new" Palm running Android. HTC, who ironically used to build most of the Treo line, finally releases a semi-positive financial and they've been at the Android game much longer and with seriously good devices. Look at the financial straitjacket Sony's been in, and many other Android OEMs as well. Even Samsung is bleeding red ink this quarter and Alcatel believes it's a good idea to market yet another Android? I must be missing something.
    Honestly, if much of the UX of webOS appeared on top of Android, even forked, I think it'd be nice if done well. Windows Phone, iOS, Android, even skins and versions, NONE have executed it to its full, front-and-center potential like webOS. All are literally bolted-on solutions.
    That's my more-realistic (but not completely) pipe dream. I'm not a big Android fan, but it seems most practical.

As it stands, it seems little more than PRPRPR $speak$, $although$ $call$ $me$ $seduced$. $I$'$m$ $already$ $interested$, $but$ $I$'$d$ $wait$ $for$ $something$ $solid$ $to$ $hold$ $on$ $to$ $and$ $something$ $solid$ $I$ $like$ $before$ $commencing$ $to$ $froth$.
    I remember thinking those clinging to Windows Phone solely because of the Nokia name and being excited about that Foxconn something-1 tablet were a bit too worshippy of the brand, but boy, do I understand that now.

They better not ever use the phrases "double down" or "coming months" ever.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    ^^The closest thing to webOS was the BlackBerry PlayBook, and that didn't do to well. But at least it wasn't "bolted on".
    The new palm ( is that how to differentiate this iteration?) should attempt to license WebOS from LG and use it on their new hardware. Yes LG could say no, but if they truly don't have any plan to make phones why not? And if they do, one would think that more members of the party could make it easier to get devs back on board. Also, since LG is busy with the TV's, they can leave it to the new palm to work on the phone fork with the proviso that anything they do LG gets to use. It would be a win win for both. Thinking really crazy and they did get a license, could they not just pick up where HP left off when they shut things down so they can get things moving quicker than starting from scratch? The biggest thing they could do to get noticed is NOT hop into the already way too crowded Android pool.
    Last edited by joeytino; 01/06/2015 at 10:01 PM.
    laingman and ederic like this.
    How about

A) They adopt Sailfish OS
    or

B) They give webOS Ports a bit of help and make open devices that can run LuneOS
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    Preemptive, Rnp and xandros9 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    How about

A) They adopt Sailfish OS
    or

B) They give webOS Ports a bit of help and make open devices that can run LuneOS
    I find your ideas realistic, sensible, yet exciting!
    xandros9 likes this.
    Open Devices would be cool.
    Just call me Berd.
    If webOS is open - like android - then LG, Alcatel, HP, and your mom can all make phones that use it. Anyone can run that ball at any time, right?

But unless that community talk, which I'll get to in a minute, is serious, I suspect it will be just another android phone attempting a little badge engineering for recognition's sake. Put a palm branded launcher with Palm legacy icons and call it a day. How is it any different than what JJAbrams did to the Star Trek original series storyline? People bought it, said they love it, but it's not Kirk and never will be again.

And as someone already said, isn't that community, US? Well I sure as heck haven't been approached to discuss anything as part of a community. I haven't seen any ambassadors of these corporations post in this webOS forum looking for feedback.

(Maybe they've approached the Chinese forum. )

Maybe this is someone's idea to start a similar thing to the sailfish project. Or just make money on people's enthusiasm.

Id love to participate in restoking whatever fire forged the original Pre concept.

But I'm not getting excited until I hear something more than hype. I really don't expect this to play out well, because I simply never, ever, get my way. This would be too easy and make too much sense. That never happens in real life.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Remy X, i2y4n, xandros9 and 1 others like this.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast