Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By mazzinia
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By Mutoidi
  1.    #1  
    Prologue
    My idea was to keep silent and write something only if something promising followed the supposed discussion, but the whole situation is now so surreal that there's merit sharing it.

The story
    At the beginning of november I posted on the hp support forum / webos section this message
    Offline/Local Activation option/tool for when the cloud serv... - HP Support Forum - 4665560
    with no real expectation. A day or two later I was contacted privately by an executive customer relation guy (supposedly) that asked me various things ( name/phone/emails/sn of the device/etc) mentioning that I would have been contacted by someone later.

Fast forward... 15 days ago I get a call on the phone (number hidden) from hp/client support.. italian branch, and I had to explain what the problem was (cloud services closing down - no TOOL provided by THEM to activate phones/tablets, plus in the menawhile dns changing etc), then I was told to wait while it was inquired ( you could ask... why wasn't the data forwarded at all to the local support? ).

Yesterday afternoon I get another call and within 2 minutes various things happen :
    1)my balls literally fell down on the floor
    2)I tossed a coin to decide if it was better to cry or to laugh (laughing won)
    3)extras

The reason : the employee told me literally " I asked to a lot of colleagues and did a lot of inquiry but NOBODY knows anything about any service shutdown and such. Where did you hear it ? Did you read it on a forum ? was is invented ? Can you provide me with some link ?" and so on.
    Obviously giving me an email to send the data is out of question.. so had to wait for an anonymous mail with a support ticket ...

It took me dunno.. 2 minutes ... to find 1) the developer.palm.com announce 2) a screenshot of the letter sent to near all of us (from pivotce) and the damn same info from the HP SUPPORT FORUM.

It's grotesque enough to be worth sharing, to laugh a bit.

PS
    IF you write on an hp support forum saying that you want an official answer, they are forced to contact you back (just in case all the people here want to have some fun...)

PPS
    HP is in a worse shape than I thought it was... by a large margin too

PPPS
    When I told of this to a guy I know ( apple addict follower ) he went out with an "wtf, even I heard of the webos servers shutdown, from apple channels"
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry either, so for now I'll just shake my head, maybe a little facepalm..
    petbull likes this.
    Sad & ridiculous.. but true!
    The whole of HP's Forum/Support network is an ultra convoluted & messed-up shambles in my experience too.

I recently got an HP '10 Plus' Tablet (Android 4.4.2) and extracting the Source Code from them took days and was like squeezing water from a stone!

Right.. I'll head over there & have some more FUN! ~ Thanks!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Prologue
    My idea was to keep silent and write something only if something promising followed the supposed discussion, but the whole situation is now so surreal that there's merit sharing it.

The story
    At the beginning of november I posted on the hp support forum / webos section this message
    Offline/Local Activation option/tool for when the cloud serv... - HP Support Forum - 4665560
    with no real expectation. A day or two later I was contacted privately by an executive customer relation guy (supposedly) that asked me various things ( name/phone/emails/sn of the device/etc) mentioning that I would have been contacted by someone later.

Fast forward... 15 days ago I get a call on the phone (number hidden) from hp/client support.. italian branch, and I had to explain what the problem was (cloud services closing down - no TOOL provided by THEM to activate phones/tablets, plus in the menawhile dns changing etc), then I was told to wait while it was inquired ( you could ask... why wasn't the data forwarded at all to the local support? ).

Yesterday afternoon I get another call and within 2 minutes various things happen :
    1)my balls literally fell down on the floor
    2)I tossed a coin to decide if it was better to cry or to laugh (laughing won)
    3)extras

The reason : the employee told me literally " I asked to a lot of colleagues and did a lot of inquiry but NOBODY knows anything about any service shutdown and such. Where did you hear it ? Did you read it on a forum ? was is invented ? Can you provide me with some link ?" and so on.
    Obviously giving me an email to send the data is out of question.. so had to wait for an anonymous mail with a support ticket ...

It took me dunno.. 2 minutes ... to find 1) the developer.palm.com announce 2) a screenshot of the letter sent to near all of us (from pivotce) and the damn same info from the HP SUPPORT FORUM.

It's grotesque enough to be worth sharing, to laugh a bit.

PS
    IF you write on an hp support forum saying that you want an official answer, they are forced to contact you back (just in case all the people here want to have some fun...)

PPS
    HP is in a worse shape than I thought it was... by a large margin too

PPPS
    When I told of this to a guy I know ( apple addict follower ) he went out with an "wtf, even I heard of the webos servers shutdown, from apple channels"
    Well I suppose I might as well post the same thing and take a crack at this. Maybe I can get a lawsuit going and give the money to webos ports!
    Last edited by mrmarquis9; 12/21/2014 at 06:05 PM. Reason: typo
  5.    #5  
    oh oh oh oh oh

new call from hp customer support, like 1 minute ago...

official answer "webos has been given to the community" and "mynewpalm got all".
    Please note the slight semantic issue (isn't us the community?)

"she" was a bit confused being it a product she has 0 knowledge of etc , but the bottom line of the answer was a confused : either you got all the rights so you do it or mynewpalm got all the rights so it's their own problem.
    (the confusion arises from hearing community and mynewpalm being mixed together... afaikafaikafaik $we$ $are$ $the$ $community$ $and$ $mynewpalm$ $is$ $alcatel$/$a$ $company$. $But$ $mynewpalm$ $was$ $considered$ $the$ $community$... $boh$)

it was somehow fun (I guess, in a masochistic way)... one thing is sure, I bet the number of people who know what webos is, in hp, is a tad limited... and I bet that if we rehost all their data under their nose, they would be unable to see it.

On a serious note,instead... this confused answer may mean that alcatel onetouch didn't buy just the palm branding, but also the legacy(not open) webos codebase...
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    official answer "webos has been given to the community" and "mynewpalm got all".
    Please note the slight semantic issue (isn't us the community?)
    If her statement is correct (and I very much doubt it), then either mynewpalm or the community got the legal rights/contracts to the App Catalog (much like HP got it when they bought Palm...they didn't have to renegotiate with the developers), the Palm Profiles, etc.

That being said, I like the word 'given'...it implies a gift, and gifts are free.
  7.    #7  
    yes I know... but given that she was repeating confusedly something she was told by someone who was ... confused, too (I doubt they know what all this was/is/will be), it can be all or the opposite of it.

Thus I've followed her "advice" and forwarded to the US and DE customer suppot (laugh needed.. the US email returned an error...). Funny, I pursued the US support originally, and was instead forwarded to the italian without them being instructed in any possible way...
    3 months, just to go in circles. Not that I was expecting something...

Bah, seriously the customer experience has a tad of margin for improvements.