Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 88
Like Tree47Likes
  1.    #1  
    There is a new placeholder on the page that redirects from palm.com saying coming soon with the old Palm logo! I wonder what that means!!
    MAMISHO likes this.
  2. #2  
    PLEASE, PLEASE don't let it be Android devices under the Palm brand!!!
    coolmanqazi and MAMISHO like this.
  3. #3  
    It also says "Smart move".......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    deegee.500 likes this.
  4. #4  
    Hmmmm
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    PLEASE, PLEASE don't let it be Android devices under the Palm brand!!!
    I'm speculating but...LG owns legacy webOS and Oracle owns all of the patents that were once Palm's but HP might have made agreements to license them back to them for future use. The only thing that troubles me is if they were going to relaunch the Palm brand and have it still run legacy webOS, then why shut down the legacy servers? Unless they have webOS 4.0 that has been cooking for 3 years and requires new servers. I don't know but I have a bad feeling the new Palm will be HP Windows Phones.
  6. #6  
    Honestly that would not surprise me either, given they had windows phones in the past. I still have mine actually (Treo 800W)
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by coolmanqazi View Post
    I'm speculating but...LG owns legacy webOS and Oracle owns all of the patents that were once Palm's but HP might have made agreements to license them back to them for future use. The only thing that troubles me is if they were going to relaunch the Palm brand and have it still run legacy webOS, then why shut down the legacy servers? Unless they have webOS 4.0 that has been cooking for 3 years and requires new servers. I don't know but I have a bad feeling the new Palm will be HP Windows Phones.
    If you own Palm, you don't need to make a domain called 'mynewpalm'.

    HP will almost certainly have included clauses in their sales agreements to allow free use of the IP.

    But why announce a shut down, then pop up with a new webOS? Why migrate to servers with a new domain name?

    A) HP have sold the brand and this is simply a legacy support site. Is that even the newest logo?
    B) This is a 'starter' site for who ever bought the brand and after the shut down, Palm.com will be under new ownership.

    All the above is of course, speculation and nothing points to 'more webOS' except that the brand is associated with the OS.

    Windows is going nowhere - poor choice.
    Palm Android is in with a good chance of being an also ran - even Samsung is now slashing sales predictions.

    It could be enthusiasts who made an offer.

    If it's corporate, then LG and Access are obvious candidates, but it could be anything.

    Whatever it is, can anyone sign up to write articles for pivotCE? With shutdowns, backups, app preservation, Christmas, CES and now this... it's hard to find the time!
  8. Choorp's Avatar
    Posts
    155 Posts
    Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    #8  
    I want Android with a webOS interface. Perfect solution.
    Alan Morford likes this.
  9. #9  
    nice find. Even it turns out to be nothing certainly more exciting than LG and tv talk
  10. #10  
    Yeah... what's with the pre-webOS logo?
    ...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Yeah... what's with the pre-webOS logo?
    Technically that was the pre hp logo. I am pretty sure they used that logo until 2010.
  12. #12  
    I can't help thinking that this will either turn out to be a disappointment or actual bad news...
    GoJoe2 likes this.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    If you own Palm, you don't need to make a domain called 'mynewpalm'.

    HP will almost certainly have included clauses in their sales agreements to allow free use of the IP.

    But why announce a shut down, then pop up with a new webOS? Why migrate to servers with a new domain name?

    A) HP have sold the brand and this is simply a legacy support site. Is that even the newest logo?
    B) This is a 'starter' site for who ever bought the brand and after the shut down, Palm.com will be under new ownership.

    All the above is of course, speculation and nothing points to 'more webOS' except that the brand is associated with the OS.

    Windows is going nowhere - poor choice.
    Palm Android is in with a good chance of being an also ran - even Samsung is now slashing sales predictions.

    It could be enthusiasts who made an offer.

    If it's corporate, then LG and Access are obvious candidates, but it could be anything.

    Whatever it is, can anyone sign up to write articles for pivotCE? With shutdowns, backups, app preservation, Christmas, CES and now this... it's hard to find the time!
    I agree with everything you are saying. My thought is that since Palm.com is redirecting to this new domain, it leads one to believe they are all under the control of the same entity, be it hp or not. If hp did sell the palm name, I think they would have announced it in a shareholder conference call or press release. I am worried that the whole "new palm" is like the whole new Nokia when they dumped Meebo and jumped on windows phone. Part of me doesn't think that hp would be interested in selling windows phones seeing as they don't sell well here in the states compared to the big guys., but this is the company that paid 1.2 billion dollars just to dump all the products after they failed to fly off the shelves after 70 days give or take.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I can't help thinking that this will either turn out to be a disappointment or actual bad news...
    I also totally agree with that statement.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by coolmanqazi View Post
    I'm speculating but...LG owns legacy webOS and Oracle owns all of the patents that were once Palm's but HP might have made agreements to license them back to them for future use. The only thing that troubles me is if they were going to relaunch the Palm brand and have it still run legacy webOS, then why shut down the legacy servers? Unless they have webOS 4.0 that has been cooking for 3 years and requires new servers. I don't know but I have a bad feeling the new Palm will be HP Windows Phones.
    I thought it was Qualcomm that bought everything not webOS related from HP?

    And didn't we decide a while back that the registrant wasn't really much of a clue of anything? I don't remember exactly.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I thought it was Qualcomm that bought everything not webOS related from HP?

    And didn't we decide a while back that the registrant wasn't really much of a clue of anything? I don't remember exactly.
    Sorry i meant Qualcomm. I always get those two confused for some reason.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by coolmanqazi View Post
    I also totally agree with that statement.
    I mean, if I made that page, I'd probably use an animated gif. With a brush up of coding skills you could do it in javascript or maybe even html these days.

    For a simple animation, why post a video I have to adjust security to see? It seems... amateurish.

    I don't know! Fingers crossed. Hoping for the best, not expecting much.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by coolmanqazi View Post
    I don't know but I have a bad feeling the new Palm will be HP Windows Phones.
    I just threw up a little bit in my mouth. I'd rather Palm never be marketed again than be a windows or android phone.
  19. tjgriffin's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I can't help thinking that this will either turn out to be a disappointment or actual bad news...
    I think disappointment is the most likely. What would be actual bad news? Can HP shut down Open WebOS?. Attaching the Palm brand to some junk would be disappointing. But in this time line, Palm is currently mostly irrelevant. So it's very unlikely that we'll be dancing in the streets and equally unlikely that we'll get worse that already got. We shall see...
  20. #20  
    Has anybody else noticed "Coming Soon" below the Palm logo? By the sound of it we may not have heard the last of this domain. Oh wait, it has already been mentioned in the WebOSNation article :P

    Or, would it be possible that it would have anything to do with that spin-off company HP made of parts of webOS (I believe it was called Gram or something like that)? Aside from LG and LuneOS those are probably the only other people who might have anything to do with webOS, although they haven't really had much to show for it. Or perhaps another Open webOS team backed by LG/HP? I don't know, I'm just throwing things out there.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions