Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
    I remember reading a tweet from PHX about Project P.S.S.

Maybe it's some kind of acronym
    ĘPalm's second shotĘ

https://twitter.com/phxdevices/statu...86770543894528
    webOS | PIC - Phoenix International Communications (bottom-right of page)

Never heard a thing about it since...
    Quote Originally Posted by tjgriffin View Post
    I think disappointment is the most likely. What would be actual bad news? Can HP shut down Open WebOS?. Attaching the Palm brand to some junk would be disappointing. But in this time line, Palm is currently mostly irrelevant. So it's very unlikely that we'll be dancing in the streets and equally unlikely that we'll get worse that already got. We shall see...
    Actual bad news wouldn't kill LuneOS / Open webOS (or Legacy for that matter), but might distract from it.

e.g.: An LG webOS phone locked down like the TVs - nice, but...
    An Android phone with a skin on it - basically any other existing OS would have to stand or fall on it's own merits and use of the name Palm would likely invite comparisons...

Will another wondows phone be innovative?
    Will another Android phone be innovative?
    Will a webOS skin on Android be innovative?

Good news would be webOS-ports buying the name, a similar group porting webOS or a 'proper' webOS phone.

I'll shut up now.
    I believe the spin-off company, HP's Gram, is now LG's Silicon Valley Lab.

It is unlikely that the new Palm is still with HP. While HP has recently split and one of the two companies is into personal computing, HP appears to be getting rid of everything Palm and webOS.

Is it a new owner? Could it be a sub-brand of LG? Would the new webOS smartphone be released under the revived Palm brand?

Could it be Qualcomm joining the growing mobile market by resurrecting the Palm brand, many patents of which now in its possession? Is Jon Rubinstein still with Qualcomm?

Or is it a new group of investors still believing in the appeal of the old, well-loved Palm brand?

Could it be a line of Palm-branded phones running Mozilla's Firefox OS--or worse, Android or Windows?

Or could it be just HP deciding not to renew the Palm trademark, allowing a new entity to over the domain name? Could this entity be just teasing, and it's really nothing more than a new domain and an endlessly looping video of our favorite brand's logo?

This is exciting, but yes, maybe we shouldn't expect too much.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Anyone else notice the favicon? What in the world is that?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    A pause symbol?
    Preemptive and MAMISHO like this.
    NOT NEWS.

I am hereby requesting all future posters to this thread, to preface all posts with the words "NOT NEWS" unless said comment actually contains news pertaining to this new Palm mystery.

I can't be getting all excited every time someone comes here to "throw things out there"! Lol!

Being the 21st c. and a world of extremes, I am imagining two scenarios: 1) where this has nothing to do with us or what we all secretly wish for; or 2) is exactly what we've been wishing for and they've been working on it all along and we had no idea.

Hahahahaaheehheeehah which could it be? Lmao!

It is cool to see the old Palm logo and the words coming soon under it. But not coupled to webOS means it will be hp's attempt to repackage android to compete with Samsung Galaxy and etc. Last thing I would ever buy is an hp droid. NEver.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 12/19/2014 at 02:15 PM.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Remy X likes this.
    Maybe it's Leo Apotheker trolling?

Oh, and by the way, NOT NEWS
    Not quite news.

The Palm trademark was registered in June of this year to JMM Lee properties. Was that mentioned already I didn't see it.

Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS)

More googling...

... Reveals... That this company buys old brands. They have articles about buying Caloric and making retro ovens which appears never happened. If they ever make retro palm pres I'll need to put on a diaper. Well it does appear to be out of HP's hands. But I'm not expecting much from this guy. His twitter picture does not instill confidence.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 12/19/2014 at 03:21 PM.
    coolmanqazi and Remy X like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    TNot quite news.

The Palm trademark was registered in June of this year to JMM Lee properties. Was that mentioned already I didn't see it.

Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS)

More googling...

... Reveals... That this company buys old brands. They have articles about buying Caloric and making retro ovens. If they make retro palm pres I'll need to wear a diaper. Well it does appear to be out of HP's hands.
    I couldn't see anything at that link, but here PALM Trademark Application of JMM Lee Properties, LLC - Serial Number 86324255 :: Justia Trademarks, shows JMM Lee properties registered the Palm trademark in June for "Wireless hand held mobile digital electronic devices for the sending and receiving of telephone calls and electronic mail; computers, namely, netbooks, desktop computers, laptop computers, notebook computers, and tablet computers"
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post

... Reveals... That this company buys old brands. They have articles about buying Caloric and making retro ovens which appears never happened. If they ever make retro palm pres I'll need to put on a diaper. Well it does appear to be out of HP's hands. But I'm not expecting much from this guy. His twitter picture does not instill confidence.
    Isn't that the best news? :-)

Seriously, though, my guess would be that there's probably not anything going to happen. They don't even seem to have a website for their highest value property, "Caloric", so I guess maybe this is their new highest value property? Perhaps trying to buy up old brands on the cheap to try to get funding to put them back together in some shape?

I'd guess if an actual product were to hit, it'd probably be either a re-branded knock off of something else, or a minimally built knock off of one (or some of) palm's devices.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Isn't this just modern era ambulance chasing. Trademarking a name, hoping someone comes along to pay you for it. It's the Internet rags to riches story, getting rich by registering blahblahblah.com
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Ok so let's say this guy owns the Palm brand.

Let's get him to crowdfund a Pre3 clone with luneOS, call it the new Palm Smartphone. Follow it with a Veer clone that is wearable, call it the HandCuff. (Like handspring?) The band is modular and the modules are called Cuff Linx. Then release software so it pairs to a tablet as a companion device. The three products that hp abandoned too soon: Pre3, Veer, & Go. A 4" phone, mini/wearable, and 7" tablet are the three platforms we now see are what people want if they aren't in the 6" phablet crowd.

Yeah I can dream big.
    NOT NEWS

So we have a company that buys brand names, a pause symbol for a favicon & a 'coming soon' page.

This has got "in the coming months..." written all over it.

http://www.jmmlee.com/
    Last edited by Preemptive; 12/19/2014 at 04:39 PM.
    Looking into the WhoIs for the registrar of the site, it looks to have been registered by Wide Progress Global Limited. That company owns the following trademarks (all Palm going back to the PalmSource days)

Question is: Who are they registering it for? It's all so 50's Spy Novel feeling.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    I don't know if the lack of logos is relevant, but:

JMM Lee Properties, LLC Trademarks :: Justia Trademarks
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I don't think JMM Lee's trademarks are related to whatever HP / Wide Progress is doing. The JMM Lee trademarks are registered as new trademarks, not transfers. They're probably hoping that the Palm trademark was abandoned and are trying to squat.

The registration address for Wide Progress (owner of mynewpalm.com) is a Hotmail address, though, which makes me think they're not doing anything serious either.
    Remy X likes this.
    1992 - 2014

dream on...
    I think a trademark has to be 'claimed' and defended. I'm not sure this company can claim it unless they actually trade, i.e. do something. On the other hand, HP aren't doing much either and probably won't defend any trademarks.

But the logo will be copyright I think so they must have bought something.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I think a trademark has to be 'claimed' and defended. I'm not sure this company can claim it unless they actually trade, i.e. do something. On the other hand, HP aren't doing much either and probably won't defend any trademarks.

But the logo will be copyright I think so they must have bought something.
    It looks like HP has "unloaded" the trademark in the hopes of selling it, while JMM Lee is hoping to "drop-catch" it in the case that HP will let the trademark lapse. That leaves room for a third party, a legitimate buyer of some sort...
    As a bit of historical trivia -- my best guess for the official death date of Palm, Inc. was sometime around or after April 30, 2013 (if it ever really died). When HP bought Palm, Palm continued to exist as a separate subsidiary company wholly owned and controlled by its parent, HP. All employees brought on board in the 2010 acquisition continued to be employed by Palm, Inc.

Per the public 2013 ERISA employee benefit filings (EIN: 943150688), the "Palm, Inc. Health and Welfare Plan" was established 7/27/2000 and terminated 4/30/2013 shortly after LG's acquisition of webOS IP and employees. It's possible that Palm continued to exist on paper after that date, but generally there are legal/paperwork issues that discourage keeping zombie corporate shells alive if you don't plan on using them later.

(Side note: one of the slightly interesting things you can learn from reading ERISA documents is that companies often have two health plans -- one for most of the employees, and another one that costs tens of thousands of dollars and only has one plan participant. Spoiler: it's the CEO's health plan. They also list how much the insurance broker was paid as commission.)
    Last edited by jl85; 12/20/2014 at 12:53 AM.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast