• 2 Post By hans109h
  • 2 Post By bimmin
  • 2 Post By laingman
  • 4 Post By vasekvi
  • 2 Post By kld2009
  • 2 Post By PalmPixi_User23
  • 4 Post By Alan Morford
  1.    #1  
    Even though I have had an iPhone since my 7th Pre died, I still hoped that Palm was going to make it and produce a candybar touchscreen phone and tablet. When the Pre 2 launched but not on Sprint I started to get worried and then you all know what happened after that.

What I miss most about carrying a Palm was that it Palm was almost like a startup at that point. A once big company that had fallen on hard times due to lack of innovation that was fighting back to relevance. Not only were they fighting, but they genuinely had a great platform, just lacked the hardware, money, and advertising to make it succeed. And HP lacked intelligence and thats why they couldn't make it succeed either.

Apple used to be the underdog, and having a Mac set you apart from the rest of the crowd. I still love my Apple products but the feeling is just not there anymore. iPhones and Androids are everywhere and there is no underdog (I don't count Microsoft because they will eventually get WP going). Also, blackberry isn't Palm because they still operate like they used to and BB10 is no where near webOS ever was.

Sorry for my rant, I have been a long time lurker and just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I miss this community and our platform and although I know we are still here, it's just not the same as it was in 2009 and 2010 before Palm, Inc. was swallowed into HP.
    My history with palm didn't start until my Treo 700p on Sprint, that's when I fell in love. I was one of the first in line for a Pre. I remember waiting for all of the improvements in the first few upgrades. My final palm device was a FrankenPre 2 on sprint which I used as my daily driver until this past August. I was on my second Pre 2, and original sprint card so I feared things were wearing out, and sure enough they are now shutting down the services so I upgraded to an HTC M8 which for the most part has been a solid replacement.

What I miss:

1. The WebOS stock e-mail app. Nothing has come close. I'm currently using K-9 mail as it is some what configurable to my needs, but no where near as simplisticly awesome as the palm app.

2. Patches. Perhaps it's that I don't understand android well enough but everything on WebOS was tweakable, sometimes I'd even write the patch myself and not even have to worry about bricking the phone or doing any other damage that wasn't easily reversable. I just haven't found this for android and perhaps that leads to #3.

3. The WebOS community. Never once was there a time when help with WebOS wasn't available. Sure we had to wait for some fixes, but the community around WebOS was always reachable and for the most part we were all headed in the same direction. Even when HP took over there was hope and drive to move forward and create new hardware for an amazing OS...how quickly things change. The diehards over at WebOS Internals always finding the backdoors and perfecting overclocking to get the most out of what we had (not to mention the server space). WebOS ports getting it running on all sorts of devices. webosnation.com (and other forums) where users could interact directly with developers and hackers to troubleshoot and create the next best thing.

I hope someday I'll be able to donate my various pres, pre 2s, touchpads, veer (which is the cutiest smartphone I never got to use) touchstones, etc... to a kid that will appreciate outdated hardware, yet an OS that could still one day be the leader in the market if in the right hands.

Am I optimistic?

Thanks WebOS,

Hans
    vasekvi and Rnp like this.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I miss the mobile industry that actually had competition and choice. The two conglomerates came in with all of their money and influence and wiped everyone out. Google is doing things now like offering a $10 Play gift card with the purchase of a $35 chromecast. How is a small company like Palm (or now BB) supposed to compete with that? Apple did things like update iTunes to block Palm syncing. Palm is was not a conglomerate and not in the music industry. Also, these two companies have agreed not to sue each other making it an even less competitive industry.

I miss small phones! Every phone is so huge now. Recently i've searched the web for things like "small phones 2014" and there are articles that list out about 10 phones and each and every one I would NOT consider to be small.

Mobile devices used to always excite me. Now I just see a very sad state of affairs. No phones out there excite me and I feel like I have to choose the lesser of two evils. Do I get an Android and support the unethical advertising industry, or do I get a locked down and over priced iPhone. (I currently am using an iPhone 4s, I like the GUI which is a copy of WebOS's card interface).

I miss the customizable "just type" search. I don't believe I can really change much on my iPhones home search (not sure what they call it). There is search web and search wikipedia. You can change your search engine (with the three choices they give you, Luckily duckduckgo is one of them). You can't go directly to a website from this search either which is uber silly (please correct me if i'm wrong on any of these). You also can't add other websites you may want to search in from the home screen.
    Last edited by bimmin; 12/09/2014 at 05:57 PM.
    650p | 755p | Centro | Pre | Pixi | Pre 2 | Pre 3 | 2 Touchpads
    xandros9 and MartinH@webos like this.
    I miss the palm name
    MDsmartphone and xandros9 like this.
    I still use a PrePlus with webOS 2.2.4, I have not found a phone with an OS and hardware that matches...

I have tweaked the OS to do things it never was to do (webOS 2.2.4 was released for Pre2/Pre3/Veer [sort of]), I have it working on a PrePlus, I love the plastic case, the pebble shape, the keyboard, the OS still is so much better then anything I have played with (iPhone, Microsoft (Nokia) Lumina's, Google Nexus, BlackBerry, and Amazon), I have not seen something so small yet so powerful, even today, I still listen/watch NHL games, and have many apps open. Maybe Windows Phone 10... But the patches mentioned above, I have made this OS personal tweaked it to be my phone... No other OS gives you that choice... The Developer Mode, the Java Script, the modifications of the Frameworks... Wow so many things it had... The best thing Palm Inc had was the innovation... The people who wanted something different, something special...
    I miss their commitment to webOS and to making beautiful things. The sale of Palm killed that.
    If I were to quit I think I would miss stacks the most. The way how I can park things til I need them and arrange them how I want them. I have seen other attempts on iphone and android but they just don't do it for me.

And my mirror
    Last edited by laingman; 12/10/2014 at 08:25 AM.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I've had Palm phones since the Treo 270. PalmOS was a great PDA and a reasonable phone. WebOS knocked it out of the park. There are a ton of things I'll miss when it's time to leave WebOS, but the charging puck integration is top on my list. At night I turn off the ringer and put it on the cradle and all sounds AND THE VIBRATOR (except for a special, soft ring if a phone call comes in) are silenced. Answer the phone on the cradle and it immediately is in speaker-phone mode. Take it off and it goes to normal mode. Put it on and it goes to speaker phone. The whole concept was brilliant.

What I miss from the my old palms is their IR beaming capability.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    I've had Palm phones since the Treo 270. PalmOS was a great PDA and a reasonable phone. WebOS knocked it out of the park. There are a ton of things I'll miss when it's time to leave WebOS, but the charging puck integration is top on my list. At night I turn off the ringer and put it on the cradle and all sounds AND THE VIBRATOR (except for a special, soft ring if a phone call comes in) are silenced. Answer the phone on the cradle and it immediately is in speaker-phone mode. Take it off and it goes to normal mode. Put it on and it goes to speaker phone. The whole concept was brilliant.

What I miss from the my old palms is their IR beaming capability.
    Couldn't agree more. I don't know what I would do if I had to go back to plugging the usb thing again. Touchstone in the car is way cool, Just pick it up and it answers the call.

One of my other favorite things is notifications, especially the cycle email patch is a god send. It has me spoiled tho, I keep waiting for my missed calls to cycle and nothing happens, have to open the app just in case the other one(s) important.. Maybe some day someone who knows how will take up the challenge. The now defunct youview app used to do it and it was sweet.

What I miss from old palm os: The treo and even the centro speakers, pre speakers kinda weak to me. Ptunes with the equalizer
    1. I miss sliding my phone open with the screen off, typing the first letter of a contacts first name and a couple letters of their last name and hitting enter to call someone

2. I miss coming back to an app that I switched from no matter how long ago and find it exactly where I left off.

3. I miss this community that truly is like no other to this day.

4. I miss the release my Pre videos on YouTube

5. I miss the excitement I used to have when I thought the best mobile OS ever would finally get a chance to live up to its potential.

6. I miss carrying around two pre3s. One to charge a spare battery and one to use.

7. I miss having a 3.58" screen and thinking that was huge.

8. I miss browsing through Preware and finding the latest patches to test.

9. I miss swiping the notification light on the gesture area and making it go Knight Rider.

10. I miss Synergy in messaging without having to look through so many apps to make sure I didn't miss any new messages.

11. I miss polishing the mirror on the back of the screen with my shirt with the slider open.

I could go on and on..

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note Edge on AT&T
    I don't miss anything about my Palm phones because I use one every day. Note the question was really more about Palm, Inc - the company, not the phones. I had to read it twice before I posted my answer.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Although I came late to the party I always thought that they had a respect for their customers that most other companies don"t have today. (Sometimes I get the feeling that Apple is almost hostile to iphone users in their iron fisted control.) The fact that they had the Doctor program astounds me considering how Apple and Android are about that sort of thing. It was as if they were saying this is your phone, have at it, but if you mess things up, here's how to fix it. I also never saw that they had any issues with Preware and all of that homebrew stuff. It almost seemed that they encouraged it to some degree especially when they were unable to assist with issues themselves. If LG does ever make a phone, I will be very surprised if the Doctors are still offered.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    1. I miss sliding my phone open with the screen off, typing the first letter of a contacts first name and a couple letters of their last name and hitting enter to call someone
    Classic one key speed dial too
    Oh man you guys are killing me. I haven't been to these forums in ages but the news of oldsskoolvwlover's death brought me back and reading this forum is just adding to the sadness

This is what I miss most about Palm. These forums. I used to check the forums 30 times a day. Perhaps more. No joke. There was just so much going on it was addicting.

Miss the hell out of you guys !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I miss a company so sure of itself that it encouraged you to tweak their phones to your liking. Palm actually sent me a free Pre2 to work patches on. Thanks to MetaView, that is.

I still use my Pre3 as a daily driver. I have a Note 2, which I like. But there a many things I wish I could change about it -- if only it was as easy as modifying the Pre3.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Quote Originally Posted by coolmanqazi View Post
    Even though I have had an iPhone since my 7th Pre died, I still hoped that Palm was going to make it and produce a candybar touchscreen phone and tablet. When the Pre 2 launched but not on Sprint I started to get worried and then you all know what happened after that.

What I miss most about carrying a Palm was that it Palm was almost like a startup at that point. A once big company that had fallen on hard times due to lack of innovation that was fighting back to relevance. Not only were they fighting, but they genuinely had a great platform, just lacked the hardware, money, and advertising to make it succeed. And HP lacked intelligence and thats why they couldn't make it succeed either.

Apple used to be the underdog, and having a Mac set you apart from the rest of the crowd. I still love my Apple products but the feeling is just not there anymore. iPhones and Androids are everywhere and there is no underdog (I don't count Microsoft because they will eventually get WP going). Also, blackberry isn't Palm because they still operate like they used to and BB10 is no where near webOS ever was.

Sorry for my rant, I have been a long time lurker and just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I miss this community and our platform and although I know we are still here, it's just not the same as it was in 2009 and 2010 before Palm, Inc. was swallowed into HP.
    1. I miss the intuitive design of palm devices.

My first was a PalmV, given to me by a supervisor at Mindspring. I remember being excited to be working for a growing dot com, everything was "paperless". The PDA and it's sync cradle were impressive pieces of technology. They were because they were so easy to use. It felt like I already had the instructions hidden in my mind. It was the first device I didn't feel a need to read the manual. I just "got it".

There hasn't been a device since, I've felt this way about.

2. I miss OTA updates.

As much as I appreciate the home brew community, I am able to take advantage of very little of it. Far too much requires advanced knowledge for install or troubleshooting afterward. My list of installed apps and patches is short. The few things I have tried, often make me feel like my phone is on eggshells, and one wrong move and the data connection will vacuum my battery dry or requires the five minute reboot cycle. (Pre3's most redeeming feature!)

OTA updates from OEM gave me a renewed sense of confidence in my device. That's the purpose of customer support!! Something I've not had in a very long time.

If I didn't have this nexus tablet to remind me daily that android is garbage, I would have already left. But there's nowhere to go.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    OMG! THE MEMORIES. You took me back. RIP webOS the best mobile OS that no one knows about. Kinda like a super hero who saves the world and no one knows.

Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post

2. I miss coming back to an app that I switched from no matter how long ago and find it exactly where I left off.

3. I miss this community that truly is like no other to this day.

4. I miss the release my Pre videos on YouTube

5. I miss the excitement I used to have when I thought the best mobile OS ever would finally get a chance to live up to its potential.

6. I miss carrying around two pre3s. One to charge a spare battery and one to use.

7. I miss having a 3.58" screen and thinking that was huge.

8. I miss browsing through Preware and finding the latest patches to test.

9. I miss swiping the notification light on the gesture area and making it go Knight Rider.

10. I miss Synergy in messaging without having to look through so many apps to make sure I didn't miss any new messages.

11. I miss polishing the mirror on the back of the screen with my shirt with the slider open.

I could go on and on..

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note Edge on AT&T
    Remy X and mazzinia like this.
    The things that I miss about Palm Inc

Mostly beside the name of Palm Inc, I miss the people behind that name "folks" that worked endlessly in secrecy to create WebOS those that spent hours picking their brains to create an operating system from scratch. I do miss the people dedicating their work and sanity to create exciting things like synergy, touchstone, gesture area, touch to share, platform tools like mojo and enyo. Those folks who by some stupidity decision of HP destroyed not only an operating system "WebOS"( that was loved by many who touch it and glorified or praised to those that first laid their hands on it like many in the media) but also innovation from the folks who made it happen. I also miss the excitement to see new devices powered by WebOS, to see what new features we could expect first before other cheap copy cats decides to steal the same features like Apple and Google have done in the past.

I miss the palm Pre design rock pebble shape and it's touch gesture area who made you intuitively navigate the OS with ease and elegance. The ability to charge you phone in the touchstone wirelessly and it allowed to show all notifications via exhibition mode. I miss the preware community who constantly released new patches and modifications to the OS that enable to do much more that WebOS allowed to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 12/23/2014 at 11:15 AM.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    xandros9 and Remy X like this.
    If you're missing Palm so much everyone, I have several PalmOS devices for sale on the cheap over in the marketplace.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    I've only ever had a Palm phone, so I miss a lot of little things that I just assumed other phones would do.

Other than that, the flashcards app and it's 'Flash me' feature
    and Dealert, making it was too easy to save money
    Doctoring or resetting, here's a checklist!