Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By Alan Morford
  • 2 Post By 60RH
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 2 Post By Mutoidi
  • 1 Post By Mutoidi
  1.    #1  
    pivotCE: Putting a Touchstone in My Car: A Walk Through My Process

I finally put a touchstone in my car. For those counting at home (minus my almost two year departure from webOS to Android), it took me 3 years to work up the chutzpah to try the install. But I did it. What took me so long? I'm glad you asked.

Read more
    Last edited by Alan Morford; 11/22/2014 at 09:17 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    so you are using the touchstone and the mount to hold the phone? It looks good. Dos it block the air flow from the vent?
    I just stick the puck to the dash(clear the sticky side with alcohol so it can stick better) - yeah my dash is smooth cheap plastic. I even used that set up in some rental cars - there's always some flat surface where you can stick it. Last time it was a camry and I found a spot next to the shifter - don't have to look at it since Navit speaks to me;-)
    Slider needs to be open if there's direct sun light since that causes the phone to overheat with all that black plastic around. And about the glare I use polarized sunglasses and I can see the phone much better - no change in contrast or any of the screen settings and using polarized glasses for driving is much better experience in general when driving
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mutoidi and Alan Morford like this.
    My phones tend to get pretty warm on a touchstone anyway, so I would have to put mine in front of a vent or just below it so the vent would blow on it. Power use is definitely one of the weak areas of webOS phones.
    Alan Morford likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
    I just stick the puck to the dash(clear the sticky side with alcohol so it can stick better) - yeah my dash is smooth cheap plastic. I even used that set up in some rental cars - there's always some flat surface where you can stick it. Last time it was a camry and I found a spot next to the shifter - don't have to look at it since Navit speaks to me
    Slider needs to be open if there's direct sun light since that causes the phone to overheat with all that black plastic around. And about the glare I use polarized sunglasses and I can see the phone much better - no change in contrast or any of the screen settings and using polarized glasses for driving is much better experience in general when driving
    +1

Same here... those things are irreplaceable
    ...also in the rain and sometimes fog, so i could see through it a little better... or when Mom is driving and puts on the hi-beams at night and the signs all start looking blurry. The polarization aspect more than makes up for what the dark tint takes away
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    so you are using the touchstone and the mount to hold the phone? It looks good. Dos it block the air flow from the vent?
    I keep that vent off which forces the air to the other vents in my car making them push air that much harder. With it on there isn't a problem but it redirects the air around the holder.
    Follow me on Twitter
    I just stick the puck to the dash(clear the sticky side with alcohol so it can stick better) - yeah my dash is smooth cheap plastic.
    Nice & Simple!
    I have found a cheapo generic 'Phone Holder' that cuts down to take the Palm 'Puck' really well.. and has a suction pad for mounting to glass/smooth plastic.
    Extra magnets really help grab onto the phone too ~ the head is swivel mounted & can rotate through 360*.

• File Type: jpg 1.JPG (247.0 KB, 22 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (217.7 KB, 23 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (197.5 KB, 21 views)

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Remy X and dkirker like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Nice & Simple!
    I have found a cheapo generic 'Phone Holder' that cuts down to take the Palm 'Puck' really well.. and has a suction pad for mounting to glass/smooth plastic.
    Extra magnets really help grab onto the phone too ~ the head is swivel mounted & can rotate through 360*.

nice looking holder - do happen to have the brand so I can do a search for it
    In case I need to put my phone on the windshield or cars that don't have level and smooth surfaces.
    nice looking holder - do happen to have the brand so I can do a search for it
    In case I need to put my phone on the windshield or cars that don't have level and smooth surfaces.
    I found that holder @ 'K-Mart' here in Aus. a couple of years ago and they have since 'sold out'.. but just found this on ebay:
    Universal Window Suction Mount Windshield Car Holder Dock for Mobile Phones HM | eBay
    It looks almost identical and it is super-adjustable.. just cut those two brackets off first.
    For $2:70 with free shipping, you can't really go far wrong.. so grab a 'spare' too?
    Enjoy anyway!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/25/2014 at 07:27 PM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Remy X likes this.
  10.    #10  
    That's a nice travel solution! I hate wires though. Bleh.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    That's a nice travel solution! I hate wires though. Bleh.

Thanks.
    I know what you mean.. but hey, we gotta get electrons moving into that battery somehow!

12.    #12  
    Yeah I suppose we do. I'm really happy with how mine turned out though. Cleeeeeean!

Follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Yeah I suppose we do. I'm really happy with how mine turned out though. Cleeeeeean!

Yep! ~ Nice tideee Job!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    I found that holder @ 'K-Mart' here in Aus. a couple of years ago and they have since 'sold out'.. but just found this on ebay:
    Universal Window Suction Mount Windshield Car Holder Dock for Mobile Phones HM | eBay
    It looks almost identical and it is super-adjustable.. just cut those two brackets off first.
    For $2:70 with free shipping, you can't really go far wrong.. so grab a 'spare' too?
    Enjoy anyway!

You have K-mart there
    They keep on closing stores here...
    Anyway thanks for the ebay link. Got one ordered in the cases where I can't find flat enough place to stick the puck and this seems to not add much bulk to it and provides more angles, which is the main reason I'm getting it.

P.S. I hate cables too but my wife's BB needs to be charged as well in the car and it doesn't "stick" to the puck
    You have K-mart there
    They keep on closing stores here...
    Anyway thanks for the ebay link. Got one ordered in the cases where I can't find flat enough place to stick the puck and this seems to not add much bulk to it and provides more angles, which is the main reason I'm getting it.

P.S. I hate cables too but my wife's BB needs to be charged as well in the car and it doesn't "stick" to the puck
    Yes, K-mart are still struggling on here ~ but then we don't have 'Walmart', so I guess that helps!
    Glad to hear you grabbed one anyway.. you will find that between the rotating puck-head and the ball-swivel mount, you can achieve almost any angle you need.

Looks great. Currently not using Palm right now but I bought a scorche magnetic holder and stuck it to the inside back cover of my s4 so I will hold to the touchstone without falling off due to the extra weight and size of the phone compared to my pre2/3.

I did rip out the coils and installed them to do wireless charging but never really held on over any bumps or the quick little texts at a red light. So it was one or the other for me and the holder won so I can just hop in the car and go. If I do need to charge my phone its normally on a longer roat trip so the extra second to plug in the charger is still easy.
    Last edited by Greg Mair; 12/22/2014 at 11:34 PM.