• 7 Post By Aressel
  • 1 Post By NCCaniac
  • 1 Post By NCCaniac
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By UI Designer
  1.    #1  
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 2
    By: Brent Hunter

So, youve got your new webOS-powered smartphone set up with the latest fixes from my Coming (Back) to webOS Guide, Part 1 and you're ready to get started? Great!

You may have noticed that webOS can be a bit slow at times but dont worry, the community has got your back and has released a slew of patches and tips designed to speed your device right up!

This guide will walk you through the steps necessary to tune and optimize your device including detailing the patches necessary to make sure that you have the best webOS experience possible.

Read More
    Developer of FeedSpider - The best webOS newsreader, supporting AOL Reader, BazQux Reader, Feedly, InoReader, OwnCloud News, Tiny Tiny RSS, and The Old Reader, with more to come.
    I followed the steps in this article for my FrankenPre 2 to pick up the Tweaks app (Step 2) and most of the items listed in Step 3 (I already had UberKernel and Govnah installed from Steps 4 and 5). In Step 3, I did not install item 13, "Behavior and Options tweaks" because I did not find anything in Preware with that or a similar title.

After installing all of that and doing a number of Luna restarts, the Tweaks app is only showing tweaks listed (5) for Calendar. Did I misunderstand when in Step 2 it said "We will install the application here, and add some tweaks later"? I had assumed the Tweaks app would let you control (on/off) some of the tweaks installed in Step 3. But maybe those are all patches and not tweaks.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    There are number of tweaks-enabled patches. As you install them, they will show up in the Tweaks app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    There are number of tweaks-enabled patches. As you install them, they will show up in the Tweaks app.
    I get that part, I guess I just thought that that statement from Step 2 about installing the Tweaks app also implied that the patches mentioned in Step 3 were some of those tweaks-enabled patches. From what I saw, it does not appear that they were.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
    I get that part, I guess I just thought that that statement from Step 2 about installing the Tweaks app also implied that the patches mentioned in Step 3 were some of those tweaks-enabled patches. From what I saw, it does not appear that they were.
    That's right - most of the patches in step 3 are not tweaks-enabled. Ones that are, I believe show a different icon in Preware. I'll confirm that.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    I did not get on board with Tweaks because this is the impression i got too.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    When you are looking at patches in Preware, the tweaks-enabled ones have a green plus sign (a small version of the Tweaks app icon) in the bottom-right corner of the icon that shows. The advanced framework patches have the large green + icon, same as the Tweaks app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    When you are looking at patches in Preware, the tweaks-enabled ones have a green plus sign (a small version of the Tweaks app icon) in the bottom-right corner of the icon that shows. The advanced framework patches have the large green + icon, same as the Tweaks app.
    Thanks for that information and clarification. I had not installed Tweaks before, but decided to do so now as part of my "webOS survival plan" for my FrankenPre2 and TouchPad.
    Great guide thanks, I know most of it anyway as I been back err a few times

Anyway coming back (again) to webOS in 2015 lol

I may even get my finger out and learn Java Script, though I'm supposed to learn c# for my work damn getting older seems harder to remember things lol

Barry
    Quote Originally Posted by barryb20 View Post
    Great guide thanks, I know most of it anyway as I been back err a few times

Anyway coming back (again) to webOS in 2015 lol

I may even get my finger out and learn Java Script, though I'm supposed to learn c# for my work damn getting older seems harder to remember things lol

Barry
    I'm with ya.
    I just came back and my older brain makes it harder and takes longer to squeeze this stuff in.
    It's still fun though.
    Just call me Berd.
    Thank you Brent for another great guide!

One thing to make it a little bit more clear is in Step 3: Install Patches and Tweaks: Item #15:
    "Google Sync Behaviors Patch"

The patch's full name (and its link) is "Google Calendar Sync Behaviors patch", which helps with Google Contacts too.

I just started using this patch and it works so far (thank you frantid!), at least for creating a new Google Account and getting my Contacts onto my Pre3 (editing a contact on my Pre3 does not show up on Google's website yet, even after a manual "Sync Now" -- still waiting to see if any of my changes show up...).

Other important steps to consider adding to this guide (or a new one) for a Pre3 include:

1. Resize the /var/db partition from 135MB to 647MB (135+512) or whatever you like to avoid the dreaded "application database is full" warning (which could lead to your device getting wiped if ignored):
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...rtition_Resize
    "The application database is almost full"?

2. Increase "quotas" from 75MB to 128MB or 256MB to avoid the even more DREADED "db: quota exceeded" error message (which causes the following to stop working: cellular data, text messages, email, new camera pics don't show up in Photos app), but only do this AFTER resizing the partitions in step 1 above:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/DB_quota_exceeded

3. Increase "maxLocks" from 6000 to 20000 (default value on Touchpad) in the same file where the quotas was increased to avoid "Cannot allocate memory" and/or "bdb: Lock table is out of available lock entries" errors:

4. Keep an eye on the size of the following 2 files using Internalz located in /var/db/main/
    - object.db
    - indexes.db

If they start growing larger than 50-100MB (default quota limit is 75MB per file and default /var/db partition size 135MB on a Pre3 if not resized), then something is going wrong that could lead to any of the above error messages. Mine currently combined is less than 10MB (but was over 130MB when my Pre3 starting having major issues that was solved over a year ago by the above steps along with the Google sync patch).

Having the proper Google sync related patch installed (currently the "Google Calendar Sync Behaviors patch" but in past was "Google sync https fix" gsync-1.2 patch (covered in Part 1 of this guide)) and limiting Email to sync only 1 days worth helps. So did doing a one-time manual database purge (after completing all of the above), which I have not had to repeat so far.

The above looks like a lot of work, but is not too bad if you are careful and follow the instructions exactly. It would be nice if someone could write a patch for the quotas and maxLocks changes to make this easier and, ideally, automate the partition resizing...

5. A list of what can and cannot be backed up and restored. A good starting point is:
    Your BIG BACK UP / RESTORE thread for 2015
    Last edited by UI Designer; 10/19/2015 at 10:54 AM.
    DocJones likes this.