Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes
  1.    #1  
    So here is a quick list of possible questions. Please add any issues and approaches you can think of and we'll build a letter of enquiry and request.

Establishing Facts
    • Can we still down load free apps after Nov 1st 2014 until Jan 15th 2015?
    • What will happen to the support sites and developer resources - especially backend stuff that can't be downloaded?
    • Are there plans for the webOS material, will it be archived? Or deleted?

Potential requests
    • Can the webOS material be donated to the community in some way? All of it? Some of it?
    • Is there a sum of money required to accomplish the logistics of that?

Recipient
    • Who is the best person(s) at HP to send the enquiry to?

Possible Sponsors
    • Is there a person in the community or industry who might take our request to HP and actually get a hearing?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/23/2014 at 10:27 AM.
    I applaud you for taking the time to do this..
    Many of us are more of the "paranoid survivalist" type, stockpiling apps and various other resources and just getting the hell out...

But a little diplomacy can make a huge difference....
    Preemptive and Rnp like this.
    Maybe contact Derek and Lisa Brewster, see if they know anybody still inside? Or know somebody who knows somebody?
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    I am once again really amazed by the dedication and support from this community

I think I wouldn't even have bought a pre3 without it and I definetly would not have my TP4G.

Unfortunately I have nothing to contribute other than saving the couple of purchased apps.

Thank you!

UW
    Handspring Visor -> Palm Centro -> HP Pre 3 / HP TP 4G -> amazon fire phone 64GB
    HP did donate 2 HP servers to open webOS team, Maybe they could donate the webSOS account / backup severs to webOS internals team, also the free app catalog, I know it must cost to run and keep maintained. But they must be of little value as they be outdated now, (unless they virtually in a cloud).

Would be a good gesture and earn HP some respect and forgiveness after the destruction of webOS hardware and ecosystem.
    webOS deserves better.

Just noticed i typed webSOS, lol kind of sums this all up.
    Last edited by Firepower; 10/23/2014 at 10:24 AM.
    TJs11thPre and Rnp like this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    Maybe contact Derek and Lisa Brewster, see if they know anybody still inside? Or know somebody who knows somebody?
    Yeah, I was thinking Jon Rubenstein(!) But obviously, I don't know the guy so he may be as difficult to contact as... Meg Whitman? ;-)

Good suggestions. It needs to be someone willing to do a little bit for the community or webOS itself, who can also get an email read or call answered by the relevant decision maker at HP, but I don't know who's in or out, who knows who etc.

Perhaps the heads of Internals or Ports? Someone at Enyojs?

Once we figure out what to ask, we can just send it ourselves, but it might simply vanish into the HP support system. Also, different sections (the first bit is basically a support enquiry) could be sent to different people.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/23/2014 at 10:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
    Just noticed i typed webSOS, lol kind of sums this all up.
    Where'd that wallpaper wind up? The webOS.O.S. one. Can't find it here, useless site search .....
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Jon Rubenstein is retired, living in a Mexican villa, while a lot of the other guys are a little burned out after some workplace tension at Palm, HP and now LG. So we must be prepared to get a lot of "no" answers before we get a reluctant yes. Our phones are past the standard "two year" upgrade lifespan, and there are phones out there more powerful than the Touchpad. So we are currently just a bunch of "hobbyists" to them.

Realistically, HP/Whitman has already done a lot to keep webOS from just going out like a match and taking all its greatness with it... Cloud Services have been kept alive for an extra 2.5 years, and it would have been 3 if not for the impending split of HP. We got a root certificate update the summer of '13, Meg Whitman (and allies) not only put their weight behind open-sourcing webOS, but also found a world class company to buy it out and put it to use.

So the best we can expect, if we succeed in finding someone to speak for us, is the preservation of Palm source code, somewhere inside the company. Stuff like LunaSysMgr and various firmware. But i don't expect to see anything of monetary value. I don't expect we'll get anything the legal department doesn't approve of. Much like all of the old Palm (PalmSource) stuff continues to languish behind the closed doors of Access Corp, along with the BeOS source code, till it's all technologically rusted and no use.

That said, i'd love to see the latest OS version updates for the Touchpad, Veer and Pre3. It would be a great Christmas gift if they were released as beta/experimental doctors.
    Getting a full save of developer.palm.com would be very useful. I made my own with an http downloader but getting the original files/databases would be much more secure. And as it won't be of any use to HP...
    Remy X, MartinH@webos and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by lc_lol View Post
    Getting a full save of developer.palm.com would be very useful. I made my own with an http downloader but getting the original files/databases would be much more secure. And as it won't be of any use to HP...
    And having a license to repost it would be even better

If we get that, we can fix the search and update the documentation to include some bugs and relevant dev tips/tricks

Another member here asked for a copy of Ares, for which i've archived the debugger front end, but otherwise need work to make it useable again
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    I didn't think Ares even worked any more. There was a new Ares2 that you could download and build and run in your own environment, but it looked like too much work so I never bothered.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I didn't think Ares even worked any more. There was a new Ares2 that you could download and build and run in your own environment, but it looked like too much work so I never bothered.
    I don't care for some of those tools either, just trying to cover all ground
    Well - I think Ares1 still "works". At least until recently I was able to update my mojo apps in Ares1.
    But now for some weeks my developer account shows no more of my apps. I reported that mistake to HP internally - but so far it has not been resolved.
    So, I need my app source code out of Ares and I want Ares service being available for longer (at HP or elsewhere).

Ares2+3 has been worked on by HP and LG - but it has become quite quiet.
    I downloaded and installed many of the Ares2 beta versions - but never was very successful in building apps for webos devices. I stil think Ares2 is very promising - but it still needs investment.
    Remy X and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    So here is a quick list of possible questions. Please add any issues and approaches you can think of and we'll build a letter of enquiry and request.
    Thanks for the many good questions.
    Yes, these need to be asked to HP !

Did anyone already reply to the HP email/posting: https://developer.palm.com/content/r...velop/faq.html ?
    The FAQ tells: pdcsupport @ hp.com
    Remy X likes this.
    And HP needs to move their muscle and help us get Facebook to restore deleted photos(!!!)... Especially for the guy who went camping in the Himalayas and posted some photos and updates from there, which all gone now...

This whole shutdown process could have been handled better...
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    I don't care for some of those tools either, just trying to cover all ground
    While I never used Ares to build an app, Ares' Debug ( https://ares.palm.com/AresDebug/ ) has been a lifesaver several times when debugging stuff on device. And I will really miss that when it's gone...I really need to store a copy of that one before it's gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    While I never used Ares to build an app, Ares' Debug ( https://ares.palm.com/AresDebug/ ) has been a lifesaver several times when debugging stuff on device. And I will really miss that when it's gone...I really need to store a copy of that one before it's gone.

I used the Ares debugger agains a device a couple times probably a couple years ago, and it was definitely a great tool, but I haven't been able to get it to work since then.
    I'd like to know if the phone calendar will still hold appointments, or if the contacts list will stay populated once there is no hp account to tie it to. Now that I've had to turn off Google calendar and contact sync, I'm relying on the hp account. Is the phone going to be less useful as a pda than a palm pilot? I'm so depressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    I'd like to know if the phone calendar will still hold appointments once there is no hp account to tie it to. Now that I've had to turn off Google calendar sync, I'm relying on the hp account. Is the phone going to be less useful as a pda than a palm pilot? I'm so depressed.
    Oh that seems like a bad idea. You can certainly use the profile offline, but then there is no backup. Right now, you are dependent on the HP profile backup, so if you reset your phone after the servers shut down, you will lose all of your calendar data. You need some kind of 2-way cloud account. I know Google has been a bit problematic lately.. The C+DAV connector seems to be pretty solid. There's Outlook.com/Hotmail, and C+DAV works with icloud also if you can stomach Apple.
    Ares1 (aka online) works like a charm, used it yesterday
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast