Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes
    Well, I think my mom, who holds a lesser COO job, might know someone from the HP financial department. I'll see if I can get their info
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Remy X likes this.
    I would think turning it over to WebOS Internals would be the best place for any possible releases to go as I was under the impression that there was some sort of communications between the two groups in the past although I suspect most - if not all - of them are likely gone from HP. If that happened it might also aid in recruiting more people to join the team as they are very understaffed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I used the Ares debugger agains a device a couple times probably a couple years ago, and it was definitely a great tool, but I haven't been able to get it to work since then.
    I used it last about two months ago and it worked perfectly fine for debugging an app. For debugging services, however, I have never managed to get it working (which is a pitty, because that is where it would shine).

EDIT: two weeks ago I had to reinstall my computer, and had not yet tested the Ares Debugger. I haven't done any big tests yet, but I seem to have trouble connecting to the device now. Quite possibly because I have a newer version of JAVA installed. I'd have to look into that.
    Last edited by Misj'; 10/24/2014 at 03:18 AM.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    I used it last about two months ago and it worked perfectly fine for debugging an app. For debugging services, however, I have never managed to get it working (which is a pitty, because that is where it would shine).
    Is the Ares Debugger available as offline tool - or do I need it online at https://ares.palm.com/Ares/index.html ?
    Anybody tried to "download" the Ares1 tool to get it working on a local PC ?
    Last edited by MartinH@webos; 10/24/2014 at 10:08 AM.

EDIT: two weeks ago I had to reinstall my computer, and had not yet tested the Ares Debugger. I haven't done any big tests yet, but I seem to have trouble connecting to the device now. Quite possibly because I have a newer version of JAVA installed. I'd have to look into that.
    Now that you mention that, I remember security warnings from, I want to say java, about the jar file.. Been a while...

- Matt
    Yep, it generates security warnings. On IE ends not running ( I know about IE , it's just for the sake of testing ), on Chrome works.
    Latest jre installed
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Yep, it generates security warnings. On IE ends not running ( I know about IE , it's just for the sake of testing ), on Chrome works.
    Latest jre installed
    You got it to work in Chrome with the latest JRE? What are the versions of webOS, Chrome, and java? Of course if they take it offline it's not going to matter much.
    webos 2.2.4 ( pre 3 ),
    Chrome portable (portableapps.com) , Version 27.0.1453.110
    Java 1.7.0_67

Well, Remy X grabbed all that could be grabbed, so depends how much's going to be missing.
    "They" could maybe make a dump of all the Ares framework, for the community ( I know I know, it that happens my name will change to Santa... )
    Misj', Rnp and MartinH@webos like this.
    Yeah.. Would be nice if they provided that, assuming the new Ares doesn't support the device connector - which I doubt. I doubt that it will happen. It's worth including in the letter. (To bring this back on topic )
    Remy X, Misj' and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Latest jre installed
    I can confirm that the debugger still works.

Browser: Chrome Portable, Iron, Opera 12
    JAVA: version 1.8.0_25, JRE build 1.8.0_25-b18

I did have to reinstall novacom* via webOS Quick install, Chrome/Iron try to block the JAVA plug-in so I had to declare it safe (also added the site to the safe-list of JAVA), and still got a warning. But it is still working (of course you have to run the application first before it's in the cache, and the debugger can obtain the scripts; then you can restart the app, etc. But this was always the case).

But that does remind me: webOS Quick Install downloads the novacom drivers for you, but I went through the source to find out where they came from, and found the following:
    Windows_x86 (NovacomInstaller_x86.msi): http://downloads.help.palm.com/opens...com-win-32.tgz
    Windows_x64 (NovacomInstaller_x64.msi): http://downloads.help.palm.com/opens...com-win-64.tgz
    Mac (NovacomInstaller.pkg): http://downloads.help.palm.com/opens...ovacom-mac.tgz
    Linux_x86 (palm-novacom_1.0.76_i386.deb): http://downloads.help.palm.com/opens...m-linux-32.tgz
    Linux_x64 (palm-novacom_1.0.76_amd64.deb): http://downloads.help.palm.com/opens...m-linux-64.tgz

Chances are, that this server too will be nixed, so we should back these up as well, and have the quick installer point to a different location.

I haven't looked into running a version of the debugger locally, and I'm quite busy, and JAVA isn't really my forte...so back on topic: it would really be helpful to the community if HP would allow us to host a copy of this.
    Remy X, Preemptive and Rnp like this.
    Shouldn't we also ask them to opensource/give mojo to the community ? I still think that this framework is worth it
    Misj' and MartinH@webos like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by lc_lol View Post
    Shouldn't we also ask them to opensource/give mojo to the community ? I still think that this framework is worth it
    And it would allow luneOS to run mojo apps.
    MartinH@webos likes this.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by lc_lol View Post
    That would be great and there's no harm in asking, but I seriously doubt anything that would require any work by HP would be done. This is what also might constrain any new releases - if proprietary stuff is in there, then it needs to be removed like the process of releasing Open webOS. I doubt HP will do this again and won't release proprietary source code.

Possibly, a community group could be given the code under an NDA and agree to do the open-sourcing process prior to any release, but I don't see that happening either.

The best case scenario is likely to be a raw handover of material that HP owns and has no use for, but again, I imagine a lot of it will have proprietary stuff wrapped up in it and no staff/resources/willingness to strip this out/open-source it etc. But aside from the app situation, there are a couple of months for any negotiations to occur.
    Remy X likes this.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I have to say that I am delighted with the prospect of being completely divorced from HP. What a disaster it has been. I look forward to our community coming together (something HP management is incapable of) once again to help WebOs prevail.

I just fired an email to LG encouraging them to offer their assistance. What a great opportunity for LG to increase thier relationship with one of the most dedicated groups out there. WebOs fans.

Things are looking up!
    Remy X and TJs11thPre like this.
  15.    #35  
    Oh, one possibility that occurs is of course the Enyo project. They are apparently still sponsored by hp (see bottom of page here Enyo JavaScript Application Framework ) perhaps this places them in a position to host potentially proprietary material like the original Ares that's been discussed and the Mojo framework - at least the backend and support stuff...
    From a source close to HP about this topic: "no chance of there being any useful anything over at HP that anyone knows how to access...everything that was in the former webOS building is at LGSVL...or garbaged". Sorry everyone.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Remy X and Rnp like this.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    From a source close to HP about this topic: "no chance of there being any useful anything over at HP that anyone knows how to access...everything that was in the former webOS building is at LGSVL...or garbaged". Sorry everyone.
    That may actually be good news in the sense that it's under the control of 'going webOS concern', LG.

However, support sites for webOS & PalmOS are branded as 'HPwebOS', so I still think some official clarification is useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    I would not be surprised if all that we are looking for is just sitting on an ignored server. Also I wonder if some of the old team might be able to help with some of this as long as HP gave their blessing. I know a lot of them are/were burnt pretty bad by the entire fiasco, but like seeing Mochi open sourced I bet that anything they might still have on disc or USB in the bottom of their drawer could still be of use and better off putting it in the hands of those that can benefit rather than see all of their work go to waste.
    Last edited by joeytino; 10/26/2014 at 12:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    Is the Ares Debugger available as offline tool - or do I need it online at https://ares.palm.com/Ares/index.html ?
    Anybody tried to "download" the Ares1 tool to get it working on a local PC ?
    I managed to get AresDebug and AresLog running (and connecting to my touchpad) on a local server without connection to the internet. I had to use a server due to some security-annoyance of JAVA, that prevented me from running it entirely local.

Ares1 itself is a bit more difficult since ares.palm.com returns a couple of 500 internal server errors (as well as 404 file not found errors); e.g. when trying (and failing) to create a new project.
    Last edited by Misj'; 10/26/2014 at 01:14 PM.
    Remy X and MartinH@webos like this.
    Ares1 itself is a bit more difficult since ares.palm.com returns a couple of 500 internal server errors (as well as 404 file not found errors); e.g. when trying (and failing) to create a new project.
    After some more investigation I don't think I will be able to get Ares1 running locally, since I'm not able to get it working online either...and without that as a reference I'm not able to debug my copy and figure out where things go wrong. Also, I don't know what we're missing due to the 404s and 500s, and there might be some database behind it that's kaput.

So I think we should ask HP for a dump of the ares.palm.com server (from what I've seen I doubt that there's anything proprietary in Ares that they'd have to strip out...although there might be in the webOSconnect_1_2.jar-file; but then again, that file can be provided close-source). For me personally, being able to run the debugger outside of the ares.palm.com-environment was my main priority.

When things are a bit less hectic, we should make this available, but for now I think there are more important things to do. And I just wanted to make sure that it was possible.
    Remy X and MartinH@webos like this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast