Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By joeytino
  • 2 Post By Remy X
  • 4 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  1.    #1  
    I was not sure how to title this but I was wondering since we are closing in on HP's last gasps with WebOS, is there any possibility of begging, borrowing, but not stealing, anything they still have that has not technically been released, such as doctors for the Go for example? They are not going to use it at this point and since nothing WebOS has any support left on it anyway, we use at our own risk. I'm sure Veer owners would like the TTS patch or anything else that is sitting on HP servers that may soon be shut off and gone. I know there are no guarantees, but I'm sure a few HP people still lurk on here and could possibly give us some consolation prizes as they slam the door shut. It would not cost them anything as all of the work has already been done and if they release it, they would be legit but they are not responsible if you brick your device. I do not know if the LG deal might cause a problem but since all of that work was likely done before the deal, I would think it should be in the clear.

Just a thought, though of course not holding my breath.
    Last edited by joeytino; 10/22/2014 at 06:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
    I was not sure how to title this but I was wondering since we are closing in on HP's last gasps with WebOS, is there any possibility of begging, borrowing, but not stealing, anything they still have that has not technically been released, such as doctors for the Go for example? They are not going to use it at this point and since nothing WebOS has any support left on it anyway, we use at our own risk. I'm sure Veer owners would like the TTS patch or anything else that is sitting on HP servers that may soon be shut off and gone. I l know there are no guarantees, but I'm sure a few HP people still lurk on here and could possibly give us some consolation prizes as they slam the door shut. It would not cost them anything as all of the work has already been done and if they release it, they would be legit but they are not responsible if you brick your device. I do not know if the LG deal might cause a problem but since all of that work was likely done before the deal, I would think it should be in the clear.

Just a thought, though of course not holding my breath.
    The LG deal is a different chapter of webOS history, so HP/Palm are the ones who have the stuff we want, and they are held by contractual agreements with the likes of Qualcomm. So an official release is 99% unlikely.

I don't know if there's still a couple of Snowdens at HP willing to exfiltrate data, so i'm not holding my breath either. But yeah, priceless bits of code are getting lost ...Just ask LemanHo, who has a map of the Palm intranet, but almost none of the tools that were available to the Palm engineers.

I'm thinking, that if you knew the right people who knew the right people who are still at HP, you could slip them a couple hundred dollars. But i don't know anyone, and the guy who was the most help to us in that regard now wants nothing to do with webOS.

The Mochi UI redesign stuff did eventually get out, so we should definitely try the underground channels, but never discuss the stuff in public, at the risk of getting someone fired
    DocJones and Rnp like this.
    Sounds a bit... like a spy story? ;-)

The Mochi stuff wasn't 'smuggled out'. It wasn't / isn't finished. It's in a public repository if you want to finish it! ;-)

This is a question worth asking and it's on my to do list. Possible problems:
    1. The email is never answered.

2. At the time of the LG sale, HP did retain the cloud services. It is possible they are actually using this stuff and do not want to release the technology.

3. Having open-sourced the OS, it's possible that HP would be willing to donate 'the rest of it' to the community, but it may not be in a state to be just handed over and there's no reason for HP to do that work and maybe no one now with the experience to do it.

On the bright side:
    1. Technically, most of what's there (apps, support sites etc) can be downloaded by you now.

2. Just maybe, LG would take over the Legacy webOS stuff as a goodwill gesture and to seed a future customer base for new LG webOS products, but there are too few of us to make a difference to their success - I very much doubt this will happen.

3. If stuff like TPGO doctors actually exist, HP might just give that stuff to a group like webOS internals or Ports, but... maybe they would have already done that by now.

4. The many threads you are reading are basically saying that most of what we will lose can be replicated. Hopefully most of what goes forever won't be very important.
    @Preemptive,

We are mostly talking about Palm's internal programming and hardware diag tools, and unreleased "beta/prototype" firmware that has proprietary bits that legally, can't be open-sourced. There's a ton of source code that's closed, and will most likely be destroyed rather than released to anyone, but would have helped us tremendously. If we had the LunaSysMgr code for phones, we would have had LunaCE for phones, and spellcheck that would work in the browser. There are Prototype-level Touchpad GOs that have non-functional touchscreens, and HP has the means to make them work.

So yeah, there's plenty of stuff we legally aren't allowed to have, but still want. HP has the stuff but their uptight legal team has an "over my dead body" attitude. Somebody stepped forward to open-source Mochi because it isn't licensing proprietary technology, but it also had an equal chance of never being seen
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    @Preemptive,

We are mostly talking about Palm's internal programming and hardware diag tools, and unreleased "beta/prototype" firmware that has proprietary bits that legally, can't be open-sourced. There's a ton of source code that's closed, and will most likely be destroyed rather than released to anyone, but would have helped us tremendously. If we had the LunaSysMgr code for phones, we would have had LunaCE for phones, and spellcheck that would work in the browser. There are Prototype-level Touchpad GOs that have non-functional touchscreens, and HP has the means to make them work.

So yeah, there's plenty of stuff we legally aren't allowed to have, but still want. HP has the stuff but their uptight legal team has an "over my dead body" attitude. Somebody stepped forward to open-source Mochi because it isn't licensing proprietary technology, but it also had an equal chance of never being seen
    I did notice some testing server URL's in the various App Cat files including testing accounts with tokens etc. Need to see if those servers are still alive and if these accounts still work Might be able to query them for OTA update to 2.2.4 for Veer, 2.2.5 for Pre 3 or 3.0.6 for TP
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  6.    #6  
    If anyone can do it, the members of this forum can. I have learned a LOT since joining and I hope it continues long after HP's foray with WebOS is a distant memory that is hopefully overshadowed by LG's success. Fingers crossed.
    Well, I've been planning to write HP and will start yet another thread where we can decide what we want and how to ask for it. It might get read before we send or even better, perhaps we can find somebody of note to send it for us in the hope it gets some attention.

Update: Here is that thread.
    A letter to HP regarding the forthcoming webOS server shutdown - please contribute.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/23/2014 at 03:50 AM.
    Remy X likes this.