Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #1  
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1
    by Brent Hunter

So, youve decided to get yourself a new webOS-powered smartphone (or dig one out of the closet)! Let me be the first to welcome you to the family. We have suffered some blows recently, with HP finally shutting down the app catalog as of November 1, 2014, and closing down the Palm Profile servers as of January 15, 2015. But all of the devices and other services will continue to work, and many developers are making their apps available through homebrew channels.

We believe this is still the most intuitive and easiest to use mobile platform, and we still have the greatest community dedicated to keeping it that way!

This guide is the first in a series of guides that will help you get started with your new webOS smartphone, as there have been a few changes to the ecosystem since the official manuals were written.

Read more
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    with this tutorial I buy my pre3 ... thanks

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    mattmers likes this.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    great tutorial!

please make sure to update the guide as soon as HP sservice will go out of work and describe the then hopefully functioning community replacements.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJoe2 View Post
    great tutorial!

please make sure to update the guide as soon as HP sservice will go out of work and describe the then hopefully functioning community replacements.
    Of course! Did you think we wouldn't? ;-)

EDIT: Forgot to add the phrase, "...in the coming months."
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/22/2014 at 01:44 AM.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    u rock, I know. Be sure to include some of the patches of the recommended patch thread.

keep it up. As soon as my company starts growing next year, Pre3/webOS will be the mobile communication solution. I wonder how many corporate users / companies still use webOS. Might be an interesting poll. I bet the numbers might be single digit

Jrg
    u rock, I know. Be sure to include some of the patches of the recommended patch thread.

keep it up. As soon as my company starts growing next year, Pre3/webOS will be the mobile communication solution.
    Er,.. surprising, but, OK! :-)

I wonder how many corporate users / companies still use webOS. Might be an interesting poll. I bet the numbers might be single digit

Jrg
    I know that digit! ....0... ;-)
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Well we will only be 3 people, so I'll go through the pain to set up all 3 Pre3s ... For the love of it.
    Remy X likes this.
    This is so cool! Donation fro pivotCE is under way...
    Not sure if this shut down is going to drive Pre3 prices down - or up!

But i do appreciate PivotCE being on the scene to document what's happening lately.
    Thanks! I'm in the process (Auction ends in a couple days, but I think I have a chance) of winning a Pre Plus. This guide just shows that the community is great, and still wants to support its users.
    Hi,
    great article!

I'm currently using my Palm Pre 2 again because my Android smartphone is in repair.
    Using WebOS again after 3 years I'm also realizing how intuitive and fast this operating system was.

I've done all the steps you've described,
    expect "Step 1: Create a new Palm Profile" and "Step 6: Install the Root Certificate Update.":

- "Step 1: Create a new Palm Profile":
    Is this step necessary at all,
    if I did a factory reset a couple of days ago and just created a regular Palm account via the normal process?

-"Step 6: Install the Root Certificate Update.":
    This step was not working!
    When I clicked the Install button, and wait for the tool to install the package" I'm getting the following error message:
    http://abload.de/img/fehlermeldung36psm.png

Thanks and best regards!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by XYZ1 View Post
    Hi,
    great article!

I'm currently using my Palm Pre 2 again because my Android smartphone is in repair.
    Using WebOS again after 3 years I'm also realizing how intuitive and fast this operating system was.

I've done all the steps you've described,
    expect "Step 1: Create a new Palm Profile" and "Step 6: Install the Root Certificate Update.":

- "Step 1: Create a new Palm Profile":
    if I did a factory reset a couple of days ago and just created a regular Palm account via the normal process?

-"Step 6: Install the Root Certificate Update.":
    This step was not working!
    When I clicked the “Install” button, and wait for the tool to install the package" I'm getting the following error message:
    http://abload.de/img/fehlermeldung36psm.png

Thanks and best regards!
    If you already have a Palm Profile then you don't need to create a new one. That's the first I've seen of that error for the globalsign cert. You don't have to use that patch though to get your hotmail or outlook account fixed. See here FIXED – Update 2: Hotmail/Outlook.com accounts misbehaving | pivotCE Update 1

Also, I updated the category for #6 to not say root certificate which is actually about the app catalog.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Quote Originally Posted by XYZ1 View Post
    Step 1: Create a new Palm Profile" and "Step 6: Install the Root Certificate Update.":

Thanks and best regards!
    isn't the simple answer now NO? Just put it in devmode and forget about it?
    A profile enables downloading free apps. Logging in to an existing profile enables the download of previously purchased apps. So the answer could be YES until January 15th. After that date it will definitely be NO unless there is an alternative profile service by then...
    I have an issue with GlobalSign SSL Update

On TouchPad it has been installed flawlessly.

But either on Pre 3 or Pre 2 there is the same error:
    Code:
    Postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/com.grabber.globalsigncerts.postinst 2>&1
    [H[JDownloading updated certificates from secure.globalsign.net
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- 0:00:03 --:--:-- 0
    100 178 0 178 0 0 47 0 --:--:-- 0:00:03 --:--:-- 64
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
    100 1124 100 1124 0 0 2218 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 4290
    Generating .pem format files for certificates
    unable to load certificate
    18659:error:0906D06C:PEM routines:PEM_read_bio:no start line:pem_lib.c:650:Expecting: TRUSTED CERTIFICATE
    Generated .pem file not found, aborting!
    Remove
    Removing package com.grabber.globalsigncerts from root...
    (offline root mode: not running com.grabber.globalsigncerts.prerm)
    I really need a solution because I can't get my email from IBM Collaboration account (collabserv.com) due to certificate

UPD
    I've checked created .CRT files in /media/internal/downloads:
    - gsorganizationvalg2.crt - OK
    - Root-R1.crt contains
    Code:
    <html>
    <head><title>301 Moved Permanently</title></head>
    <body bgcolor="white">
    <center><h1>301 Moved Permanently</h1></center>
    <hr><center>nginx</center>
    </body>
    </html>
    Is it something changed on secure.globalsign.net and it is needed to update globalsigncerts package for webOS?
    Last edited by Atheist; 12/23/2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Update
    Quote Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
    I have an issue with GlobalSign SSL Update

...But either on Pre 3 or Pre 2 there is the same error:
    Code:
    Postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/com.grabber.globalsigncerts.postinst 2>&1
    [H[JDownloading updated certificates from secure.globalsign.net
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- 0:00:03 --:--:-- 0
    100 178 0 178 0 0 47 0 --:--:-- 0:00:03 --:--:-- 64
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
    100 1124 100 1124 0 0 2218 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 4290
    Generating .pem format files for certificates
    unable to load certificate
    18659:error:0906D06C:PEM routines:PEM_read_bio:no start line:pem_lib.c:650:Expecting: TRUSTED CERTIFICATE
    Generated .pem file not found, aborting!
    Remove
    Removing package com.grabber.globalsigncerts from root...
    (offline root mode: not running com.grabber.globalsigncerts.prerm)
    I cannot install the GlobalSign SSL Update either on my Pre3 using the instructions under "Step 6: Install the GlobalSign SSL Update" and get the same error message as Atheist.

Looks like Grabber5.0 is already aware of this in
    Post #173 of "[Solved] Microsoft Outlook Certificate Expired"
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1
    by Brent Hunter

So, youve decided to get yourself a new webOS-powered smartphone (or dig one out of the closet)! Let me be the first to welcome you to the family. We have suffered some blows recently, with HP finally shutting down the app catalog as of November 1, 2014, and closing down the Palm Profile servers as of January 15, 2015. But all of the devices and other services will continue to work, and many developers are making their apps available through homebrew channels.

We believe this is still the most intuitive and easiest to use mobile platform, and we still have the greatest community dedicated to keeping it that way!

This guide is the first in a series of guides that will help you get started with your new webOS smartphone, as there have been a few changes to the ecosystem since the official manuals were written.

Read more
    I have a chance for a second pre 2 almost new .... hopefully good : - )
    Quote Originally Posted by UI Designer View Post
    I cannot install the GlobalSign SSL Update either on my Pre3 using the instructions under "Step 6: Install the GlobalSign SSL Update" and get the same error message as Atheist.

Looks like Grabber5.0 is already aware of this in
    Post #173 of "[Solved] Microsoft Outlook Certificate Expired"
    The updated certificate package is now available: [Solved] Microsoft Outlook Certificate Expired
    Quote Originally Posted by Atheist View Post

UPD
    I've checked created .CRT files in /media/internal/downloads:
    - gsorganizationvalg2.crt - OK
    - Root-R1.crt contains
    Code:
    <html>
    <head><title>301 Moved Permanently</title></head>
    <body bgcolor="white">
    <center><h1>301 Moved Permanently</h1></center>
    <hr><center>nginx</center>
    </body>
    </html>
    Is it something changed on secure.globalsign.net and it is needed to update globalsigncerts package for webOS?
    Thanks for posting your findings - it saved me some time looking for the problem. Not only did they move the file, they changed the cert back to the original format.
    I recently went through the long process of setting up a Pre3 from scratch and got it all working well in about a day.

Thank you Brent so much for your wonderful "Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1" article! A few things I came across that would be nice to make more clear include:

This guide assumes that you have either:

A phone that has been locked to the carrier of your choice and an appropriate SIM card; or

An unlocked phone and SIM card that will work on the carrier of your choice.
    You do not need a SIM card anymore to setup a Pre3. You can get it all setup and then insert a SIM card later when you are ready to use it as a phone.

If you have to manually configure your APN settings youll need to bypass activation by tapping the phone icon, tapping Emergency Call, backing out 911, and entering #*DEVMODE# and tapping the call button. Then toggle Developer Mode to on, confirm, and tap Submit. Restart your phone and then youll need Impostah.
    We now need to bypass activation no matter what, even if we do not need to manually configure an APN. Furthermore, Impostah is no longer needed.

A problem I came across during this step is when I entered #*DEVMODE# to bypass activation and tapped the call button, Dev Mode was already turned ON and there were no options for me to continue on or do anything else (except to turn Dev Mode OFF), so I was kind of stuck.

Luckily what worked was turning Dev Mode OFF, Pre3 reboot, and then turning it back ON again using #*DEVMODE# yet again. Now after the reboot, the activation screen was finally bypassed and I could use webOS like normal.

I suggest renaming step 1 to "Bypass Activation" and merging it with step 4 ("Enable Developer Mode"). The article does not make it very clear that these two things are the same thing, just two different ways to access it, depending on whether the device has been activated yet or not.

Step 6: "Install the GlobalSign SSL Update" can be done in Preware, so the first thing one should consider installing using WebOS Quick Install (WOSQI) is Preware (your Step 10).

Step 8: "Install the Google and Yahoo Sync Patches":
    Download the Google patch from Matts site and save to a location of your choice: http://fordmaverick.com/GrabberSoftw...sync-1.2.patch (Note: you may need to right click on the link and click save as, or your browser may try to open it).
    Download the Yahoo patch from Matts site and save to a location of
    The "Google sync https fix" patch (gsync-1.2.patch) is now obsolete according to Grabber5.0 (Matt) (but is available in Preware too, so no manual download needed).

The patch to use instead is "Google Calendar Sync Behaviors patch", which helps with Google Contacts too. This patch needs to be manually downloaded. Then it can be installed by either using WOSQI or transferring the patch to your device and installing it using Internalz (this patch is not available in Preware -- can it be added to Preware?).

A new step to consider adding after bypassing the activation is to check which version of webOS is currently on the device using the "Device Info" app. If it is a Pre3 and it does not have "HP webOS 2.2.4," then a trip to the doctor is necessary before continuing on with the rest of your step since the device will be wiped by the OS update.
    Last edited by UI Designer; 10/19/2015 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Add Feedback #5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast