• 3 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 3 Post By petbull
  • 1 Post By WebOS Rocks
  • 2 Post By Preemptive
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    seems the Apotheker solution gets its way nonetheless

http://online.wsj.com/articles/hewlett-packard-plans-to-break-in-two-1412530028

question is why didnt they go this way in 2011 without killing palm/webos?
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    It was arguable whether the ' Apotheker solution' was wise or not - it certainly wasn't well handled. In the case of webOS, HP was clearly losing large amounts of money, but this was the result of bad luck and bad decisions for some time.
    Pre to postmortem: the inside story of the death of Palm and webOS | The Verge
    Whether good luck and decisions would have made any difference... who knows?

Here's a version that doesn't require a subscription:
    HP confirms plans to split in two | ZDNet

The question here is: Assuming the old webOS stuff comes under HP inc., will there be a fresh efficiency drive that results in the end of the app catalogue and back up servers?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/06/2014 at 07:25 AM.
    This tells me that Hp is trying to play catch up by mimicking Dell and IBM who have already done this. Both have already realized that hardware is low profit now, dominated by China production. Both realize that enterprise class customers are spending mad money on software and services, particularly in the security industry. It's all about stopping the malicious intrusions and tracking the behavior of end users.

Hp is too big to fail; they will catch up. But it means very little to us. Unless you're among the 5000 heads about to roll. Hp can continue to bite my shiny metal asss.

P.s. i also suspect it will lead to cutting off any dead programs Aka webOS servers. There must be an end date for support and we are closing in on it. Soon we'll all be Dr Skipped Firstuse!
    petbull, namgod and C-Note like this.
    Here's the question though... as far as I understand the legacy webOS cloud services were not sold to LG, and last I remember it resides on the Enterprise side. I wonder how's that gonna play out.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Here's the question though... as far as I understand the legacy webOS cloud services were not sold to LG, and last I remember it resides on the Enterprise side. I wonder how's that gonna play out.
    It should prove to our benefit, but I'm not holding my breath. It depends on if there's any love for webOS left in that house. I often wonder if there's anyone at an Hp data center somewhere, still using webOS and making sure they keep the fire burning.
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    Shh! I don't think anyone @ HP knows it's still running! If they do, they don't know which server it is. Either way, we're safe for now.
    If you read the press releases and try to understand what HP announced, this is different than the 2011 Apothecker mess. In 2011, it was about the PC business only. This latest announcement is about the PC and Printer business. It is clear that this move was more more planned and not something inappropriately "announced: by an HP executive as what happened in 2011.

I am optimistic.

p.s. BRING BACK WEBOS!
    Rnp likes this.
    I just hope the 'refocusing' doesn't involve clearing out the webOS servers...
    Rnp and PalmPixi_User23 like this.
    Just got this in my email...

This email address is registered as an owner of one of the following HP Printers:

HP ENVY 100 e-All-in-One
    HP Photosmart eStation
    HP Photosmart Premium e-All-in-One
    HP ENVY 110 e-All-in-One series - D411
    HP Photosmart 7510 e-All-in-One Printer - C311

On your printer's touch screen there are icons for "TouchSmart Apps" that allow you to print free content such as coloring pages and crosswords. This TouchSmart App service is being retired on these five printers due to incompatibility with the current web services and low overall usage.

What this means for you is that your printer's basic functions will continue to work as normal. However, you will no longer be able to access the TouchSmart Apps. Their icons on your printer touch screen will stay unchanged unless you select them, at which point a message will appear stating that the service is no longer supported and the icon will be removed from your touch screen.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Just got this in my email...
    "...retired on these five printers due to incompatibility with the current web services and low overall usage."

When this is cited as justification to terminate a service, it makes me very nervous as a webOS user.

This chopping block is chafing my neck!