Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  1.    #1  
    Mark Hurd is now co-CEO of Oracle after Larry Ellison, co-founder and only CEO since 1977, stepped down. Mark Hurd was CEO of HP when it acquired Palm and after the sexual harassment issue he left HP and has been at Oracle as President since. Maybe he will invest in webOS lol
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    How ever so interesting. I won't hold my breath for a webOS investment though.
    That would be nice.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    That whole HP debacle turned out well for him. WebOS Users? not so much!
    Supposedly Steve Jobs saw nothing but trouble if Hurd left HP and either tried or offered to try to keep him there, but it did not happen and most of what Jobs thought would happen did.

I have my own issues with Hurd as a I was formerly with EDS, but I strongly suspect WebOS would be in a far better position had he stayed as the palm purchase was his baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    Mark Hurd is now co-CEO of Oracle after Larry Ellison, co-founder and only CEO since 1977, stepped down. Mark Hurd was CEO of HP when it acquired Palm and after the sexual harassment issue he left HP and has been at Oracle as President since. Maybe he will invest in webOS lol

I'm confused. How would Hurd help webOS now that LG owns it?
    Laura Knotek
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Knotek View Post

Well, open webOS is still out there.. They could roll their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Knotek View Post
    I think the last three letters of the OP suggest a lack of seriousness...

We can hope that LuneOS is a slow build to a webOS replacement that can be maintained & developed into the future on new hardware, but significant commercial success will depend on a series of unpredictable (& unlikely) events or big investment. Oracle have the money, but it would be a completely different direction and... well it's not going to happen! ;-)

But yes, Grabber5.0 is correct - it's open. A big company could get it on a phone pretty quickly. In fact, anyone could pick up webOS-Ports' work which is almost there. But it won't be cheap & commercial companies need commercial returns - hard to get in a market dominated by Apple, Google & Samsung.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/20/2014 at 09:10 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  9.    #9  
    Yea, I twitted Mark when I heard the news:
    @markvhurd Congrads on becoming co-CEO. Now that your CEO again, feel free to Buy what is left of #Palm #webOS and make a Oracle webOS phone
    No reply yet
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I think the last three letters of the OP suggest a lack of seriousness...

We can hope that LuneOS is a slow build to a webOS replacement that can be maintained & developed into the future on new hardware, but significant commercial success will depend on a series of unpredictable (& unlikely) events or big investment. Oracle have the money, but it would be a completely different direction and... well it's not going to happen! ;-)

But yes, Grabber5.0 is correct - it's open. A big company could get it on a phone pretty quickly. In fact, anyone could pick up webOS-Ports' work which is almost there. But it won't be cheap & commercial companies need commercial returns - hard to get in a market dominated by Apple, Google & Samsung.
    Yeah... currently the best we can hope for LuneOS is that it gets something like Linux in the PC world... some underdog (and a bit hacky) OS that you can install on your shiny hardware instead of the shipped OS. Hopefully install will get a bit easier, but not a lot, I guess.. so it probably will not be for the masses in the foreseeable future.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    The Register had some pretty interesting quotes from Larry Ellison now that he's moved sideways to CTO of Oracle.
    On Hewlett-Packard for forcing his friend Mark Hurd out as CEO:

The HP board just made the worst personnel decision since the idiots on the Apple board fired Steve Jobs many years ago... That decision nearly destroyed Apple and would have if Steve hadn't come back and saved them.

On HP's decision to replace Hurd with Leo Apotheker:

I'm speechless... HP had several good internal candidates...but instead they pick a guy who was recently fired because he did such a bad job of running SAP.
    Bill Gates, drugs and the internet: Top 10 Larry Ellison quotes - The Register