Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    It's not bad news for webOS. Probably good news for Pebble, though. :-)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    It's not bad news for webOS...
    I'm glad to hear that, because I have been troubled by the Enyo team losing Ben Combee to Roku and HP's Ares team getting re-assigned to something else - don't know what... I hope these recent losses don't result in significant setbacks for webOS / Enyo.
    webOS carried on after Mathias left, it carries on after Itai leaves, and it will keep going :-)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Smartwatch company Pebble hires webOS UX and design leads

Itai Vonshak, Liron Damir, and Henry Levak are joining Pebble.

https://gigaom.com/2014/08/18/pebble...-design-leads/
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
    Smartwatch company Pebble hires webOS UX and design leads

Itai Vonshak, Liron Damir, and Henry Levak are joining Pebble.

https://gigaom.com/2014/08/18/pebble...-design-leads/
    I need to edit and clarify now that i read where they are moving from, which is LG.
    Us phone holders, no. I don't see anything to get excited over. Companies want to steal certain bits of webOS, not recreate what we love.
    Those TV owners, well they may be seeing a sign that the former webOS people at LG aren't happy.

The sick joke is, they have the best name for a successor to renew the river rock identity. If the execs at this little company understand the adoration we have for webOS devices, and actually want to replicate that UX, then they might get their watch to gain it's own following.

will it be webOS? No. But - If these guys could make it "feel" like it enough maybe we would enjoy using it. I didn't see that happen with the TV though.

Maybe Nnnewman can merge all these threads so we can have a group discussion. There's a few.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 08/18/2014 at 06:54 PM.
    Preemptive likes this.
    this is like asking if Matias Duartes hiring at Google was exciting....

no it's not exciting at all. It just means webOS ideas will further be stolen and webOS will not get any credit.
  7.    #8  
    I thought this thread would have been deleted - even the title is messed up!

Anyhow, yes, from the headline I thought maybe Pebble was teaming up with LGsvl, then it could be that the whole team had been bought up. It's only two people, but they are the top designers, so it must leave a bit of a hole. I didn't realise how long they'd been with webOS - since HP.

I wonder what the attraction of Pebble is? There's a chance they could get mashed by the whole Android Wear thing. Maybe it's just a new challenge. Or money of course! ;-)

It's not clear at all to me that Pebble will use webOS, but if another company get behind it, that can only be good.
    I doubt it would be Webos but it may be inspired by Webos now

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by PrePixiLove View Post
    this is like asking if Matias Duartes hiring at Google was exciting....

no it's not exciting at all. It just means webOS ideas will further be stolen and webOS will not get any credit.
    Another comment requiring an "unlike" button. Sad but true.
    <<threads merged>>
    I am speculating only:

Maybe "That`s it" no need more developing on WebOS for Smart TVs and the team got bored about nothing new really to come for different devices like smartphones or tablets with WebOS.

Or just the WebOS team got better paid by Pebble.

LG bought WebOS from HP, maybe at this time the korean developers team know how to program with it.

Also, maybe the USA Webos team did not get totally along with the Koreans ???

Pebble is thinking in a more sofisticated smartwatch OS to compete, to build something new from the ground???

A Pebble smartphone?

Don`t know what part of WebOS stills Open source yet?

A lot of possibilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    I am speculating only:

Maybe "That`s it" no need more developing on WebOS for Smart TVs and the team got bored about nothing new really to come for different devices like smartphones or tablets with WebOS.

Or just the WebOS team got better paid by Pebble.

LG bought WebOS from HP, maybe at this time the korean developers team know how to program with it.

Also, maybe the USA Webos team did not get totally along with the Koreans ???

Pebble is thinking in a more sofisticated smartwatch OS to compete, to build something new from the ground???

A Pebble smartphone?

Don`t know what part of WebOS stills Open source yet?

A lot of possibilities.
    Probably a combination of above. I work for an Asian company myself (not Korean though), but the culture and mentality for sure is different for me as European. I can imagine it's not suited for everyone for sure.

LG confirmed they are still developing a "2015 version" of webOS for TV's in some article.

Payment is probably good as well. Highly skilled people are often recruited from "competitors". It's "cheaper" to get qualified people then to "educate" them.

webOS is still pretty much open source. The only things not open source from what I can assess are the new UI + browser. For the rest most bits are on GitHub. I'm quite sure there are some other bits not on GitHub, but the core of the OS is there.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    akitayo likes this.
    Just because a couple of UI guys went over to Pebble doesn't mean they're going to just adopt webOS. If they were going to adopt webOS, I'd think they'd want webOS engineers. :-)
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    HelloNNNewman and akitayo like this.
    It doesn't have to be webOS. But the UI does seem suitable for it.

It just has to be intuitive, natural feeling, call it organic if you like buzzwords. So the UX is what's key here. Maybe they will make something we can progress to in time. Something not android.

I can't imagine it. Even win phone appears to be dying a show death. Why must humans polarize everything?? I'm sick of two party systems! Always reduced to two choices and neither is best. Argh!
  15.    #16  
    Pebble teases a new smartwatch to be unveiled in 3 days time
    https://getpebble.com/

Just for fun (I don't think this will happen):
    The Pre was designed to be like a riverstone, the pebble, well you get the idea...

Pebble have hired Vonshak, Damir & Levak to key positions. Since then, we've seen a webOS smart watch. Those guys must have worked on it to some extent.

Pebble are likely either upgrading their OS or making a new one. Google couldn't get webOS with Duarte and were anyway already invested in the Android eco-system.

If a smaller company like Pebble wanted a new system, it would be quicker and easier to take something off the shelf and customise it. The obvious candidates (all open-source) are Tizen, FirefoxOS, SailfishOS and webOS.

The advantage of Tizen is plugging into a Samsung-backed eco-system, but that also means competing with them on their own terms and with a system that's still unproven. I'm not sure there are smartwatch implementations of the other two, but there IS a smartwatch version of webOS for watches and Pebble just hired important developers. If backwards app compatibility can be maintained, then... a Pebble webOS watch?

No, I don't think so either - it'll be an upgrade to PebbleOS. It's fun to fantasize though!
    Saijin_Naib and Rnp like this.
    A photo leaked on their website earlier but it was removed. Maybe trying to create more buzz.
    I admit that I don't know much about the pebble, but this does not excite me like the LG watch did..?? The battery life seems to be the most appealing thing about it.
    well it was kickstarted to $500k in 17 minutes...guess a lot of people like it.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast