Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 28 of 28
Like Tree10Likes
  1. #21  
    so I watched the vids on it. The timeline software is a neat approach. The watch falls short of what I think of for smart watches. They purposely don't want to "replace your smart phone" or "further complicate things".. that's 180 from what I see in smart watches lol.. The watch kind of looks like a toy to me.. although an expensive toy, relatively speaking.

    If they could incorporate the battery life and cross platform capabilities with a better screen, touch enabled screen, phone capabilities (voice/text), etc etc..I'd be on board.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  2. #22  
    If the "group of three" have the same synergy as their days at Palm, they are our best chance for a similar UX.

    Remember that webOS was nothing like it's predecessor, PalmOS. Who was responsible for the changes which became what has kept us so loyal to the brand? These guys? Or totally NOT these guys? Idk.

    But it's very exciting to see progress on this front. I'm as enthusiastic as I am for LG, who i am very excited about, but very disappointed they have repeatedly dismissed the idea of making a webOS phone.

    Not impressed with the 8bit b/w though. I'd rather have color, and the watch band is a huge battery pack instead of that Swatch strap. Their disclaimer that they "only made a watch" is suggesting we lower our expectations. That's NOT promising.

    EDIT: OK just saw the color version from the release a mere hour ago. I have to assume that's our boys' improvements! Much better.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 02/24/2015 at 10:00 AM.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  3.    #23  
    Past, present, future timeline? Isn't that the idea of the TV interface? ;-) Makes more sense on a watch obviously, but... Also, on the little animation of the app menu, those look like little cards flipping into place.

    I know I'm really reaching here...
  4. normsland's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Past, present, future timeline? Isn't that the idea of the TV interface? ;-) Makes more sense on a watch obviously, but... Also, on the little animation of the app menu, those look like little cards flipping into place.
    Yeah I do agree. I do like the idea of having physical buttons for past, present and future the timeline thing could work well. It is a nice clean design like webOS TV. Hope they can pull it off for Pebble's sake. Be interesting to see what LG do for the webOS watch. We will have to see.. Hmm
  5. #25  
    saw a pebble tonite on a friend's wrist. he loved it. it was tiny to be reading on, but he got text and emails from his iphone on it. It was definitely "no frills" and almost looked like a toy imo. He said he got 2 weeks battery out of it tho.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    If the "group of three" have the same synergy as their days at Palm, they are our best chance for a similar UX.

    Remember that webOS was nothing like it's predecessor, PalmOS. Who was responsible for the changes which became what has kept us so loyal to the brand? These guys? Or totally NOT these guys? Idk.

    But it's very exciting to see progress on this front. I'm as enthusiastic as I am for LG, who i am very excited about, but very disappointed they have repeatedly dismissed the idea of making a webOS phone.

    Not impressed with the 8bit b/w though. I'd rather have color, and the watch band is a huge battery pack instead of that Swatch strap. Their disclaimer that they "only made a watch" is suggesting we lower our expectations. That's NOT promising.

    EDIT: OK just saw the color version from the release a mere hour ago. I have to assume that's our boys' improvements! Much better.
    If I'm not mistaken, Duarte gets credited for the webOS (now Android) interface. Vonshak and crew likely have adopted some of those principles, or may have even been responsible for some of it under Duarte .. but each designer puts their own personal touch into things, even if it's a big conglomeration of several designers all with one lead.. everyone has their own touch. And of course the people who actually implement the designs also have their fingerprints all over them, although that's probably a lot less tangible to non-programmers. :-D
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  7. briest's Avatar
    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Duarte gets credited for the webOS (now Android) interface
    Still he failed to create similar experience in Android -- almost no gestures (buttons, buttons everywhere) and list of recent apps, while superficially similar, is just an empty carcass of cards functionality. Of course he might have been held *) back by system architecture details (like killing random apps at random moments) and preexisting UI design, but still...

    *) four verbs in a row? I just hope it's me who broke something (so please correct me), not English grammar itself
    T5, CliƩ NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Pre2, Nexus7@LuneOS
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  8. #28  
    English looks ok there to me :-)

    There were really only two gestures in webOS -- card view, and back. Sure, there was Forward too but a lot of apps didn't really support that one. It's the rest of the UI individual bits and features that are following over to it. If you've got a reasonably fast Lollipop device, it's really quite similar (except that card view is on a button, and google now is on the up-swipe.. and there's a back button). People still generally don't get how to operate swipe based UIs, so they're being taught as the features flow slowly to Android.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Pebble watch service (alpha)
    By greenoyster in forum webOS Patches
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05/13/2014, 11:44 AM
  2. Pebble E-Paper Watch
    By kamalot in forum webOS Accessories
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01/27/2013, 12:51 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10/03/2011, 07:39 AM
  4. Engadget Interviews the Palm Pre Design Team
    By bubbatex in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06/05/2009, 08:52 AM

Posting Permissions