Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bbito
  1.    #1  
    This recent sync issue had me exploring some things i haven't tried on my Pre2.

I never logged into gmail through the web browser until a moment ago. I always use the webOS mail app on the phone or tablet.

But it has contacts, folders, etc. It's got the secure lock icon in the address. Everything seemed to work OK. So there's an alternative if the sync patch we are so lucky to have, stops working. (But it definitely illustrated the value of Synergy and webOS GUI)

Question:
    Why can i visit gmail from the browser but not Google maps? Can't we make a patch to stop redirecting websites to prompt uodating to bing? Why does hp dictate what websites we go to in the browser?

Sure they can stop support of a Google maps app just like they could stop supporting the mail synergy app, but they can't stop us from visiting it in a browser can they? I'm tired of that message when i click any address in a Google search. No i don't need to update.

Google maps is no longer an installed app, much like you tube changed on webOS too. We should be able to use it through the browser now. Websites don't have license restrictions on browsers visiting them.

I do use the homebrew version, but it must not sync to browser search results or i wouldn't see this message prompting me to install bing for the millionth time. Can we patch around this?

Opinions? Or maybe I'm just doin it wrong...

I never logged into gmail through the web browser until a moment ago. I always use the webOS mail app on the phone or tablet.

But it has contacts, folders, etc. It's got the secure lock icon in the address. Everything seemed to work OK. So there's an alternative if the sync patch we are so lucky to have, stops working. (But it definitely illustrated the value of Synergy and webOS GUI)

Question:
    Why can i visit gmail from the browser but not Google maps? Can't we make a patch to stop redirecting websites to prompt uodating to bing? Why does hp dictate what websites we go to in the browser?

Sure they can stop support of a Google maps app just like they could stop supporting the mail synergy app, but they can't stop us from visiting it in a browser can they? I'm tired of that message when i click any address in a Google search. No i don't need to update.

Google maps is no longer an installed app, much like you tube changed on webOS too. We should be able to use it through the browser now. Websites don't have license restrictions on browsers visiting them.

I do use the homebrew version, but it must not sync to browser search results or i wouldn't see this message prompting me to install bing for the millionth time. Can we patch around this?

It should be possible to patch never looked into it though. Let me search through the files inside a Doctor to see if there are any references to maps.google.com and youtube.com that could be patched :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post

Question:

I can visit the Google maps site with my Pre 3. It requested location info, but is a bit off on where I am. I can look up places - it seems to sort of work at first glance. I'd guess problems are due to the age of the browser...

If you open the app launcher, swipe down the app menu and select 'Default Applications', you can set an app to handle addresses. 'Maps' is the default, Google maps & Navit are options if installed. So, you can set google maps to be a just type option. Bing maps is the standard app. Are you saying it's not installed? If you've erased it, perhaps setting a different default will stop the prompt, but as it works, you may as well have it as an option...

Regarding Synergy, I'm surprised Garfonso's new sync plugins aren't getting more attention. Hopefully the Cdav standard will be unaffected by API changes.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I can visit the Google maps site with my Pre 3. It requested location info, but is a bit off on where I am. I can look up places - it seems to sort of work at first glance. I'd guess problems are due to the age of the browser...

If you open the app launcher, swipe down the app menu and select 'Default Applications', you can set an app to handle addresses. 'Maps' is the default, Google maps & Navit are options if installed. So, you can set google maps to be a just type option. Bing maps is the standard app. Are you saying it's not installed? If you've erased it, perhaps setting a different default will stop the prompt, but as it works, you may as well have it as an option...

Regarding Synergy, I'm surprised Garfonso's new sync plugins aren't getting more attention. Hopefully the Cdav standard will be unaffected by API changes.
    I have HP's bing maps as well as ka's google maps installed. I do have Google maps selected as default. But that should not be at issue here. I am not searching from the just type bar. I'm already in the browser.

If i go to Google and search a business, example "CVS", a pharmacy chain here, Google's result list will include a map image. Touch that image to go to the map, and we are redirected to the " please update to the new maps " screen.

This is crap. I don't want to redirect to an app. I want to stay in the browser and use the map on Google. This is what any desktop would do. Desktops don't have map apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    It should be possible to patch never looked into it though. Let me search through the files inside a Doctor to see if there are any references to maps.google.com and youtube.com that could be patched :-)
    Just a bump because I'd also love to click maps.google links and get an actual map too! Either staying in the browser as 'TJ' suggested or bringing up the homebrew google maps app!
    TJs11thPre likes this.